GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,407
2 members and 1,405 guests
chironthearcher

Old 07-26-2004, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
Typically UA asks for it, but not in all departments. Luckily mine was one of them! If your field tends to be more "hands on" then it's not likely they'll require it but instead request evidence of your prior work and abilities. If it's more of an academic field (i.e. English) then they will probably need it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-26-2004, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PennyCarter Send a message via Yahoo to PennyCarter
I work in the MBA office at Tennessee and I know that GMAT scores are very important. It is especially important because the Director of Admissions looks at it if you don't have much work experience (because most MBA programs require or highly recommend at least a few years of work experience). So it can set you apart...but here unless it is really low it won't hurt your admissions status (at worst they'll ask you to take it again, but it probably won't be a deal breaker). I know this isn't the GRE, but many people view them as similar although a program will usually prefer (or mandate) one over the other.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:37 PM
GreekChat Member

see i've heard people saying that with some majors, they wont even look at the scores and just want to see if you would take them. then i've heard that depending on your major, some schools will look at one section only.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:43 PM

Does the program require or allow a different test?

When my mom went back for her masters in education, she took the Miller's Analogy Test (MAT). Great if you can do them (like me, who taught mommie who did awesome on them) bad if you don't have an good vocab base. Good news, analogies are very easily coached. Just make a sentence and see what sentence in the choices match.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm applying to grad schools for Library Science right now and I know that one of my top choices Simmons doesn't even require the GRE...... provided that you have a high g.p.a. I think one other school is like that, but can't remember which one. My g.p.a. isn't all that stellar, so I'm probably going to be taking the GRE in December.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
*whine* I don't waaaaana take the GRE! */whine*
Old 07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good news, analogies are very easily coached. Just make a sentence and see what sentence in the choices match.
yeah well that doesnt help, i still dont understand the word half the time

and i'm wondering what a school considers a "high" gpa. the school i am looking at requires students to have at least a 2.75 culmulative to apply. well i have over a 3.0 culm and a 3.5 within my major......i'm wondering (and hoping) this is high enough to swing me by

also i'll still be in the UNC system (i attend UNC-Wilmington now and hoping to attend UNC-Charlotte in the spring) so i'm wondering if that gives me a leg up

i've called the school today but of course the admissions counselor isn't in.....grrrrrr i feel like i'm going through the whole transferring process all over again.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:05 PM
GreekChat Member

A lot of schools will say they dont need the GRE and then when they reject you they will say 'oh may be you should try doing the GRE for a better chance next time!!' That was my experience with JHU's AAP, and that was after I had been in touch with the folks there and reassured that I dont need to do it. So unless you call and ask and speak and confirm that it is not required, there is really no way to know...
Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Try Penn State

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphibeach View Post
I'm graduating in December and I've been studying my butt off for the GRE's (so I can enroll in grad school in January). Well I found out yesterday that not all grad schools ask for GRE scores.

I was wondering if any of yall attended a grad school that did or did not ask for a GRE score. I still think that I am going to take the GRE's just to see where I stand but I would much rather go to a university that doesn't ask for one (it reduces a LOT of pressure) oh ps - I am a Sociology major if that helps any

thanks
I'm at Penn State Harrisburg for Graduate School. I wanted to move back home-so, I didn't apply to University Park...but, I'm sure many of the same rules apply.... I graduated from Penn State-University Park (some call it main campus) with a degree in History and a degree in Sociology. In fact, Penn State has an AWESOME top-rated Sociology program. You could check it out. I didn't take the GREs. In my program, I only had to have a good GPA.

In some majors if you have a 3.5 or higher from undergraduate(which you said you have)-you don't have to take the GREs. Also, Kutztown in Pennsyvlania doesn't necessarily make you take the GREs, either. One of the girls I work with is going for her Master's in Family Counseling or Sociology and she didn't take the GREs. Also....you can try doing a conditional admittance program at some places. Some places will allow you to "prove" yourself by taking the first 9 credits and doing REALLY well in them....so, ask about that. The only thing is-if you do this...you won't get any financial aid for those first few 9 credits...so, you might have to pay out of pocket.

If you go for a degree in Social Work-MANY schools don't ask for the GREs...they just want decent grades and some pertinent work experience. If you have any questions-especially about my Alma Mater (PSU), please PM me. I would more than happy to help. Good Luck!

Last edited by als463; 11-16-2008 at 06:14 AM. Reason: To add to my paragraph. Thank you.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Long-distance information, give me Memphis, Tennessee!
Sarah Lawrence doesn't require GRE scores. There is no sociology program, but there are other programs that may interest you.