GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,833
2 members and 1,831 guests
MSKKG, PiperJarma

Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Sigma Gamma Rho is colonizing this semester at California State University-San Marcos. Congratulations and best wishes for a successful colony.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-07-2016, 02:04 PM

http://www.the-standard.org/life/new...d372a4214.html

Article about the colonizations of Alpha Omicron Pi and Alpha Tau Omega at Missouri State University.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
Yes, I agree it is sad, and having had my own chapter close, it hurts the current collegiate members the most.
I would say that there was unflexible leadership on both sides of the table. I have had my own fair share of dealings with the Properties Board in the past year, so I am not at all sympathetic to them, but the idea that Sigma's corporation was somehow the special snowflake that didn't have to abide by fraternity policy is beyond belief. In all reality, how could anyone not see this coming? Again, the current members of the chapter have my greatest sympathy and I hope that they can continue with the semester with their heads up.
I have been intimately involved in the situation. Yes, there was inflexible leadership. But NOT on the part of the collegiate chapter and its members. They went above and beyond, sacrificing sleep, academics, and social lives to try to meet the unreasonable, unnecessary, and - more importantly - completely unrealistic expectations placed on the Chapter that were simply XB rulings and not supported by the Governing Documents. The Chapter and its leadership did everything possible to comply.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calroses View Post
I have been intimately involved in the situation. Yes, there was inflexible leadership. But NOT on the part of the collegiate chapter and its members. They went above and beyond, sacrificing sleep, academics, and social lives to try to meet the unreasonable, unnecessary, and - more importantly - completely unrealistic expectations placed on the Chapter that were simply XB rulings and not supported by the Governing Documents. The Chapter and its leadership did everything possible to comply.
And further, to punish the Chapter for a dispute with the local corporation was vindictive.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
It's none of my business, but I'd really like to know why the house corp. was soooooo stubborn and dug in their heels to such an extreme. Really sad.
The local corporation actually proposed a number of concessions including centralized management of the house, but these were all rejected. Would you assign a controlling interest in your multi-million dollar house, without any guarantee that it would remain yours to have and to hold, and triggering a 20-fold increase in property taxes, which you would be responsible for?
Old 09-08-2016, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

The tax implications are a reasonable explanation.

As more sororities develop national housing corporations/boards, I'm hoping that this sad situation won't be repeated. Common sense and clear heads need to prevail, for the benefit of the members.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

They should be a non-profit who are not required to pay property or sales tax. I don't understand why they are paying property tax at all.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Maybe CA law is different in regard to who is exempt from state property taxes? In Michigan, we have the Headlee amendment, which caps property taxes for the current owner, but resets the value when there is a property transfer to a new owner. I'm thinking the situation might be something like that. I know our AHC pays state sales tax; we are not the type of non-profit that is exempt from sales tax. 501c?

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 09-09-2016 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:34 AM
GreekChat Member

As a member of the HCB here in Texas we pay property tax on our sorority owned property and sales tax to boot. We are not that kind of 501c either.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Maybe CA law is different in regard to who is exempt from state property taxes? In Michigan, we have the Headlee amendment, which caps property taxes for the current owner, but resets the value when there is a property transfer to a new owner. I'm thinking the situation might be something like that. I know our AHC pays state sales tax; we are not the type of non-profit that is exempt from sales tax. 501c?
I know no specifics about the issue at Cal, but California's Proposition 13 outlines a property tax policy like what Sciencewoman describes. The implications can be very big when a property transfers hands.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
As a member of the HCB here in Texas we pay property tax on our sorority owned property and sales tax to boot. We are not that kind of 501c either.
Most HCBs and NPC groups are 501 c7s which is a social organization. ONLY 501 C3s are tax exempt and tax deductible as this designation is the only one the IRS offers for charitable purposes. Some HCBs are 501 C 2s which are title holding corporations and are not tax exempt charitable orgs. There are about 28 or 29 501C orgs in the IRS code. They are all non profits but not all are tax exempt.

C7s pay federal taxes on all NON member income over $1000 and are limited to 35% of their income from non members. Non member income includes interest on any investments the HC should have. State tax implications vary from state to state. I don't know if transfering the property from one C 7/C2 to another C7/C2 would change any property tax implications in CA. However, they would have been paying property taxes and would continue to do so. I include the C2 because many single letter chapters still carry that designation as it was popular at early stages of the code. We have changed all of ours to C7.

There are some GLOs who have managed to have their properties declared historical and have them as C3s. They have to be open for tours to do that. I know of a few fraternities who have done that. It great restricts what the men can do in the house and the hours they can be in the "historical tours" parts of the house.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Titchou; 09-10-2016 at 11:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta Phi Alpha installed their Delta Theta chapter at Hartwick College, per FB.
Old 09-11-2016, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma's Alpha Omega chapter recolonization bid day was today at Arkansas - 254 new members!
Old 09-11-2016, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations to Alpha Omega! I knew many sweet DGs when I was in school.

Bid Day pictures at the Chi Omega Greek Theatre
https://www.facebook.com/uagreeks/?hc_ref=NEWSFEED

Last edited by ARKTTKA; 09-11-2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I was just coming here to post that! My daughter wanted to go to their bid day, but was on on her way home from 5 hours away.

She is in another group there, but I am a Delta Gamma and so hope this chapter does well!