GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,141
0 members and 1,141 guests
No Members online

Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Specific questions on starting a local sorority

Before I continue I just want to say yes I did search all the forums,lol.I know ppl make a thread like this at least everyyyday but I still dont seem to have a straight answer so please dont butcher me for asking these

1.If I want to start a local sorority not associated with a school or on any campus,is there any paperwork of organization I need to contact before we put ourselves out there?I have a plan,ritual,motto,list of philanthropy,goals,name and everything I just dont want to cross any lines by just coming out with the org because I want it to be official.

2. Are non collegiate(hope i spelled it right)soroities allowed to participate in college based activities,such as greekfest,step shows,etc?Will we be recognized?

This info would be very helpful.I hope Im not annoying anyone i just want to get started and I thought this was the best place to start.Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-28-2009, 08:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Read this thread: http://www.greekchat.com/gcforums/sh...ad.php?t=93174

1. There is not entity that you have to "register" your group with, unless you plan on affiliating with a campus (which doesn't seem to be the case).

2. You might be able to attend, but I don't know of any campuses that will allow non-recognized groups to participate in university events (liability/insurance reasons). If you don't want to be affiliated with a school, I don't see why you'd want to participate in these things anyway.

...and this is going to be asked eventually, but I might as well bring it up now: There are several organizations that are already in existence. Why are you starting a new one? What will make your group stand out from the others?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

i know from the threads i have read i have seen the question come up plenty of times,lol.I have spoken with alot of women on my campus that have told me the same story over and over.They dont see any group on or off campus in NYC that seem to be doing anything or going places. They've witnessed alot of inconsistancy within various sisterhoods and have felt a little put off by them. My organization will be based on unity, female empowerment and community service.Some of the non collegiate orgs in the tri state area(and i havent seen many in my area) that i have come into contact with havent displayed these same ideals.I dont want the sisters that join to feel like their not "official" or they're "just settling for less".Why should they have to be put off from the idea of joining a sisterhood and forming life long friendships and bonds just because its not on campus or nationally recognized.I dont believe its fair.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemcmichael View Post
i know from the threads i have read i have seen the question come up plenty of times,lol.I have spoken with alot of women on my campus that have told me the same story over and over.They dont see any group on or off campus in NYC that seem to be doing anything or going places. They've witnessed alot of inconsistancy within various sisterhoods and have felt a little put off by them. My organization will be based on unity, female empowerment and community service.Some of the non collegiate orgs in the tri state area(and i havent seen many in my area) that i have come into contact with havent displayed these same ideals.I dont want the sisters that join to feel like their not "official" or they're "just settling for less".Why should they have to be put off from the idea of joining a sisterhood and forming life long friendships and bonds just because its not on campus or nationally recognized.I dont believe its fair.
How would these women know about inconsistencies within organizations unless they are members themselves?

Also, have you checked out organizations outside of the tri-state area? There are plenty of groups who may not be there yet, but are open to expansion.

Is there a reason you're not wanting to be affiliated with a university?

Not trying to be an ass with these questions. Just curious.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

No its no problem.Its primarily because I attend a CUNY school which does not recognize Greek orgs.If they did I would have been glad to be affliliated.The reason that they know or at least i am led to believe so is because some of them are members of some orgs themselves and have personal discussed the fact that they feel that their org is not doing what was originally promised to them such as the reasons Ive listed above.Some even regret pledging because of it.Also some have the same fear of being in their senior year already or not attending the same school as a certain org.Also there are woman who have not attended college but want the same thing and have the same goals and dont feel welcome.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:40 PM
GreekChat Member

OK.

Well, check out the link in my first post. It gives some information about other posters who have started their own organizations. It's going to be tough to start and maintain an organization, but you should be able to get some pointers.

Good luck.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight_shadow View Post
OK.

Well, check out the link in my first post. It gives some information about other posters who have started their own organizations. It's going to be tough to start and maintain an organization, but you should be able to get some pointers.

Good luck.
I understand this and have been battling with the idea for almost 2yrs actually but it keeps going back to me in some way and for that I decided that I will go forth with the plans.I thank you for your input and and helpfulness.I appreciate it