GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,225
1 members and 2,224 guests
Xidelt

Old 05-28-2008, 07:30 PM
GreekChat Member

My degrees are in my field, but I don't use them. They are in Economics and Production Management. I am a project manager integrating technology into a Wholesale Mortgage unit
Old 05-28-2008, 09:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to - I got degrees in print journalism and history, and I used to work in public relations (kind of related to the journalism degree). Now I'm in law school and I'm a law clerk.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a B.A. in English Education, a minor in Speech Communications, and a M.A. in Education. I teach kindergarten so I think I'm using my degrees to some extent.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I have a B.A. in Psychology and going for my M.A. in Counseling. I used to work in a security office, but everytime someone called in to report something, they'd end up telling me their life stories over the phone. Then, I started to work at Barnes and Noble, but everytime someone asked for a map or a book on cancer, they'd talk forever about traveling and dying relatives. Now, I'm a counselor at a psychiatric hospital. Very related to my degree, but so was everything else.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 PM
GreekChat Member

BA in PR and a minor in sociology, and I'd say I use them both every day.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

B.A. in journalism and political science, and now I'm a Congressional reporter. So pretty much to a T!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZviol View Post
Hey everyone, I was recently offered a good job that has absolutely nothing to do with my B.A. When I was in school, I always thought it was dumb to not be working in a related field after going to school all those years, and now I might be one of those people!
Just wondering, how many people are actually using their degree??
Well, I'm about to use my degree and enter in an Alternate route program to receive my certification/5 year license to teach. I think most people use their degrees to get their foot in the door in another career path. Only a few people, that I know of, are actually working in a field that their degree is in.

Last edited by smc112; 06-19-2008 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Uh huh!

BA in Architectural Studies--and guess what? I'm an Architect!

I went to graduate school right after college to study historic preservation--I like the jobs I've had as a result of the degree, but didn't learn much in the degree program. I'm thinking of either getting an MBA or an MS in Construction Management. We'll see.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I graduated with a BA in Journalism and currently work for a small publishing company in their production department. I'm not doing any writing, but I do a lot of layout and design along with some editing, so I am using some of the skills I learned in my degree classes. It's a great place to work, but I know I won't be here forever (no room for growth). I still don't know what I want to do, really. I change my mind about every 3-4 months.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

My BS, MS, and Ph.D. are in horticulture with various minors and after I taught horticulture at various colleges, I went into teaching Spanish. Why? I can almost choose my job because the need for learning Spanish is so great around here. Eighteen years ago, there were hardly any Hispanics here and now this county alone has 15,000. I'm paid as if I were in my original field as well; I didn't lose any money by switching fields.

We've strongly suggested that our children pick up useful minors, no matter what majors they choose, and thank the Lord that they've done so. Our oldest has 2 degrees in recreation administration but a couple of years ago, she called and said, "I'm going to teach high school Spanish this fall!" (She had enough Spanish hours to declare a double major.) So she's at this incredible school that spends tons on their Spanish program, the lucky thing!

Anyway, our others are picking up numerous useful minors like education or foreign languages just in case their first field doesn't work out. I hope that some of you guys will do so too!
Old 06-20-2008, 10:45 AM
GreekChat Member

I use my grad degree (J.D.) to earn a living that I enjoy.

I use my undergrad degree (B.Music) to enjoy life.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 PM

My degree is in Radio/Television production with minors in Government (Political Science), Speech, and English. I honestly can't remember if I finished a minor in Fine Arts because our requirements changed midway through my college career.

I started out as a TV director (mostly news and live sports), went into production management and am now directing again.

So, my answer is yes.
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

As I was in my senior year and recruiters began talking to us at So. Carolina, I was amazed at the number of banks that wanted to talk to Hotel Restaurant students.. When asked about this (because So. Carolina has a good business school), the reps from these banks said a) what they really wanted were employees that had a demonstrated ability to learn; they would supply the specific training; b) they liked having people with varied background and skills; c) folks who could interact well with the public were always valued (ie customer service skills).

Also, after being out of school for a few years I heard the comment from someone in the field of career counseling saying that it used to be that folks came out of school, found a job and stayed there sometimes their entire career. Today, its not uncommon for a person to not only change jobs, but careers as well several times during their work life.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bluefish81
No, not really. BS in Journalism and History, I am a marketing rep for an insurance company. Up until around a year and a half ago, I was doing underwriting for the same company. I never had real plans to use the history major, it was for fun.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to moe.ron
Not even close.

got a BA and MA in Political Science. Work a few years with the UN. Decided that I want to make money. Work for a security firm first as your run of the mill broker. Now I head a team of derivative traders.