GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,208
0 members and 1,208 guests
No Members online

Old 06-16-2004, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Charm Bracelets

Who wears one? What kind?

I'm thinking about getting one for my birthday, but I'm wondering if they are "age appropiate". I usually see really young people or really old people wear them. I'm starting to see a few my age wearing them, but they are the italian style charms, which I think are too small to be seen.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-16-2004, 08:30 PM

I have 3 charm bracelets, one that my dad got me in San Fran (that is now too small, I think) and two that have charms that I've added over the years. I don't wear bracelets in general a lot at work because I'm always mousing.

This is kind of a snobby thing to say, but I like mine because each charm has a meaning. To me that's what has always been the point of charm bracelets - that they remind you of special events. I don't know that I would care for one that I just bought and bought a bunch of charms on at the same time. But that might just be a family thing....**shrug**
Old 06-16-2004, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
This is kind of a snobby thing to say, but I like mine because each charm has a meaning. To me that's what has always been the point of charm bracelets - that they remind you of special events. I don't know that I would care for one that I just bought and bought a bunch of charms on at the same time. But that might just be a family thing....**shrug**
No I don't think that it is a family thing. I have two charm bracelets. They are both made by James Avery. One is almost 20 years old and has been worn alot! It has charms from the camp I have attended. My second has charms from high school, college, sorority, and more camp charms. I still wear it today and I am close to 30. Many of the charms have been gifts, but I have purchased a few to put on there. At camp, they are kind of like medels of honor!

I see "premade" charm bracelets in stores and think that they are kind of strange. I know how much each charm means to me and how much fun it has been over the years to add on charms.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Exactly. I wouldn't wear a charm bracelet that was "pre-made." To me, the fun is in collecting the charms, and being able to share the stories behind them when people ask you what they're about.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:05 PM
GreekChat Member

My 10 year old daughter loved going through my charm bracelet and having me tell her the meaning of each charm. Last Christmas I got her one of her own. I put a few charms on there to get her started, but they all related to things she has done (Sears tower for a trip to Chicago with her Brownie troop, etc). She loves it! I think they might be making a come back.

Dee
Old 06-16-2004, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I have (well, had -- I really haven't worn it in years) one of those necklaces that had the hoop on it where you would hang charms. I loved it. I think those are coming back as well.
Old 06-16-2004, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh! I love my charm bracelet. I like to collect charms from places that I visit. My favorite charm is a tiny silver Cinderella's Castle. It's fun, and people always know what to get me for gifts
Old 06-16-2004, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
I don't have a charm bracelet, but my mother does as do her friends. All of the charms have special meanings behind them. It's like her life history in jewelry.

I have an add-a-bead necklace. I am waiting for that to become fashionable again. I'm not holding my breath. *shrug*
Old 06-17-2004, 11:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lonestaradpi
No I don't think that it is a family thing. I have two charm bracelets. They are both made by James Avery.
I love James Avery!

I agree that charm bracelets should be a work in progress so that every charm is special to you and they are not bought all at once. My mom has my grandmother's charm bracelet and when I was a little girl I used to love to have her tell me about each charm. I got one when I was 12 or so and have added to it over the years. It is a gold bracelet but some charms I would get (especially from other people) would be silver so I have both silver and gold charms on it. I definitely think I will get my daughter (if I have one) a bracelet when she's young and then add to it as she grows up and goes places and does things.

I am not sure about the "age appropriateness" though. I hardly ever wear mine because a) it's kind loud when it brushes up against something and because I feel like it is something for young girls or older women.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:38 AM
GreekChat Member

I think i'm going to go w/ the new italian charm bracelets. They seem the most "age appropiate" and I looked in stores and on the internet......there are THOUSANDS of charms, everything from a bud light bottle to a bmw, lol. I'm looking for something to wear that reflects my interests/hobbies more than something sentimental, I should've mentioned that in my OP.

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?
Old 06-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Banned

Don't you feel like you're 5 when you wear charm bracelets?

-Rudey
Old 06-17-2004, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

My mother-in-law gave me one of those add-a-link charm bracelets from Kohl's. She also gave me a few charms to go with it: a coast guard one because Mr. SSS was in the coast guard, a cat because I have a cat, a purple butterfly because the butterfly is my chapter's local symbol... and then there are a few that don't mean anything like a heart, flip-flops, and a pizza. It's cute, and I wear it occasionally... it doesn't really look inappropriate for my age either.
Old 06-17-2004, 12:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Baltimore, MD - Missing Sitting on the Green Monster with Johnny Damon and Teddy Bruschi
Send a message via AIM to PlymouthDZ
I have and wear 2.

I have an Itialian Charm Bracelet which I love. It actually is Delta Zeta based (my mom bought it for me with the DZ and a turtle already on it and along the way, my lil, adopted big and closest pledge sister have all contributed to it, along with my best friend)

Then, I have a traditional charm bracelet that my grandmother got for her 16th birthday, she added charms from when she was in the army and stationed in the South Pacific in WWI, then she gave it to my mother for her 16th birthday, my mom had added to it, and for my 16th birthday, my mom gave it to me, and I have also added to it.

I didn't wear my grandmother's bracelt from the time I was 13 til I was about 19 because I thought it was too childish.. but then my mom told me about the charms that her and my grandmother had put on it (the stories) and I decided to wear it again, especially since my grandmother passed away when I was 3, so basically the bracelet is the only memory of her that I have. Plus, people always ask about the extremely different charms that I have.

I say, if you like it, wear it.. who cares what other people think!

Old 06-17-2004, 12:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
I received a charm bracelet with a "99" charm when I graduated from high school. I never bought any other charms for it because I always have something on my wrists (my watch and medic alert bracelet). I recently bought an italian charm bracelet because I don't like having things dangling from my wrist. It only has 3 charms so far. Next week when I am in Oahu, I am hoping the flea market will have lots of charms for cheap. I can get them on Ebay, but shipping usually makes them a lot more expensive. And prices at Hallmark are insane.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dionysus
I think i'm going to go w/ the new italian charm bracelets.
"new"? Haven't those been around for like 3 years?

I say rock the original. You can't go wrong.