GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,548
0 members and 2,548 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2010, 01:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Working in Amsterdam/Holland

Hi everyone!

So, my boss calls me on Friday and says I have the potential opportunity to work in Amsterdam/Holland for a project for a few months. The choice is up to me.

I've been overseas a few times traveling for pleasure, but I've never worked overseas before. Has anyone worked in Amsterdam or anywhere in Holland before? If so, I'd welcome hearing about your experience!

Part of me really wants to go, because it would give me an opportunity to explore most of Europe without having to pay for the flights The other part of me is the constant worry-wart and worries that I won't like the food or won't be able to do anything since I really don't speak any other languages.

Any advice/comments are welcome!!

Thanks,
Traveling BSP
Life, learning, and friendship
I'm on a journey - follow my progress
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2010, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm someone who has travelled quite a bit in Europe and am currently getting ready to study abroad in Central Europe for the year. To ease your worries, most people in Western/Central Europe speak English pretty fluently, you should be able to get around fine and have a great time. It would be worth it to pick up a Dutch phrase book and learn a few things--people are always happy to speak your language with you when they see you're making an effort to speak theirs.
In terms of food, there are all different types of food in Europe--lots of ethnic restaurants from around the world, food native to the country, and you can always find American staples too. Unless you have some kind of very strict diet, like gluten-free or vegan, you should be just fine and able to find foods you like. Plus, trying new things can be a great adventure.
Living abroad is an amazing opportunity that you should definitely take advantage of. Everyone I have talked to who has studied/worked abroad said it was life-changing, and I'm looking forward to a year that will change my life. Go for it!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey!
I'm Dutch, I am a longtime lurker here, not so much for GLO information (although I do find it pretty interesting) but because, over the years, it has turned out to be a great source of info for me on what's going on in American society in general, beyond the mainstream news.Your post made me create an account as I really wanted to answer your question!
I did the opposite of what you are considering. Over the years, I've spent a lot of time in America working, studying, travelling.
I say go for it! You'll find that especially Amsterdam is a very cosmopolitan city. Don't worry about not speaking Dutch. Pretty much everyone will answer you in English anway, once they hear you're not a native (much to the frustration of my non-Dutch friends who actually want to practice their language skills). There's loads of American hangouts, bars, restaurants, Starbucks (yay!), so you won't even have to feel homesick.
One thing: Just remember that Holland and Amsterdam are so much more than the drugs scene and the red light district (even though, unfortunately you do see a lot of that in Amsterdam). I get so frustrated when people tell me they've 'done' Holland, when all they did were those two things, or when every time people hear I'm Dutch they ask me if I smoke pot. (which I don't and never have)
Anyway, good luck! If I can help in any way, pm me. My husband was born and raised in Amsterdam, and my sister lives there, so I might be able to give you some useful advice!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

As you can probably guess, I don't live in Amsterdam, but as a person who has taken the leap to move far far away, I'd definitely do it. And if this is only a few months gig, you can start to determine if you want to make a life as an expat. It's definitely not for everyone, but for those who start, it's addictive. I have lots of friends who have lived in several cities in Europe, China, Japan, Vietnam, all around the Middle East. There's almost no place on the planet I wouldn't consider right now, except Saudi Arabia. Or the US, but that's just for now. We do expect to live there again some day.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for the great advice! It's a little daunting trying to get everything squared away when I'm supposed to leave in a week but still don't have approval to go.

As I've also discussed with some of my friends here, we live in a global world and there are really more people than I realized in my circle that have lived/worked overseas. It's kinda something that people just "do" now!

Thanks again!!
Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, I got the call tonight, it's a-go! So tomorrow I book my tickets and figure out everything. As much as I've tried to prep in the last week I don't think I'm anywhere near being ready, but I have a deadline so I don't really have a choice!

I am excited, just freaking out a bit. I'll be better in a day or two... AAcckkk!!! I can't believe I'm really doing this!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Cool! Just take a deep breath and take the plunge. You'll be fine! We don't eat foreigners, generally speaking ;-) Again, feel free to pm me, or e-mail (sent you the address, didn't I?) if you have any questions.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

You know what, I also thought about recommending that book, but then I wondered if that is really the first impression of Holland I want to provide a foreigner with. I used to give it to all my American friends. They all liked it....but haven't stopped using it against me ever since.
I have often thought about writing a similar book, but then a perspective (or rather MY perspective) on life in the US.

Last edited by US-dutchgirl; 09-02-2010 at 06:41 AM. Reason: because I actually do know the difference between then and than....
Old 09-02-2010, 08:33 AM
GreekChat Member

If you don't have a frequent flyer number, sign up for one NOW, and if you're staying in a hotel, make sure you sign up for their frequent guest program as well. You don't want to be giving away any free points now that you're a world traveler! Good luck and have fun. We expats are a very fun group.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh and for the OP, don't worry about the food, it's pretty much the same as in the States, and if you really miss certain brands and typical American foods and drinks, there are specialty shops all over Amsterdam where you can find them.

Same goes for media, most are available in English, movies are only subtitled in Dutch (so you can still enjoy tv and movies, even though we're waaaay behind on most shows and movies), and American newspapers and magazines are on sale in every bookstore.

Also, if you're going to be in Holland for a longer time, you might want to look in to getting a public transportation card (OV card), it's the best way of getting around the country, and the cities. You don't really need a car here as Holland is tiny and public transport is well organized and efficient, some companies arrange for their employees to get a personal OV card, so they can travel for free, see if your company does that too.

If you need any help or have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 09-03-2010, 09:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I'm doing a bit better today now that I think I've got most of my clothing figured out - now it's just getting it all into the suitcase. Now it's just the details!!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Could you keep us updated? Maybe just your initial thoughts and culture shock and things like that. I'm thinking about studying abroad and I'd like to know your thoughts, I haven't travelled too much but want to.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Well I only lasted 3 weeks. I don't change time zones well, and I knew that going into the trip, but after not sleeping for 3 weeks and trying everything I could, I came back to the states.
The people were nice, there were millions of bicycles everywhere! The public transportation seemed good, but I had a problem with so much stuff being in a language I didn't understand.

It was an adventure - I tried it, and found out it wasn't for me. I have friends and family who have done the overseas thing and thrived!