GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,469
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, davidjuioro5780
» Online Users: 2,188
2 members and 2,186 guests
Cookiez17, John

Old 12-02-2008, 10:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
If sisters don't know things like the handshake, I have a very simple solution... read the ritual book.
I don't think I'd be going too far out on a limb to speculate that the ritual books of many (maybe even most?) GLOs do not describe the grip, just in case the book falls into the wrong hands. It has to be learned directly from someone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
I'm not reading NPC here - obviously there's an "initiation" and then "until we're given member status" - though I could be misinterpreting.
I don't think you are, based on the following (in addition to what you noted already):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotamamma View Post
Even the elder sponsoring group didn't know what was going on - they repeatedly had to check their book, whisper to each other, etc., just to get through the ceremony. . . . Now my pledge group is on it's own to continue until we are given member status, but it is becoming exceedingly clear that no one knows what is going on or what to do. I love what *** stands for - I did my research before joining - and I was so inspired by what we were told at ritual (even if those presenting didn't seem too familiar with it) that I really want to continue on this path.
I agree it doesn't sound NPC.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like a mixed bag to me. Somethings sound NPC and other things maybe not so much. Either way the advice given in useful. Learn the ritual and make sure (via practice or whatever), that the next time ritual is performed it isn't as fumbled as the OP feels it was.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch2tf View Post
Sounds like a mixed bag to me. Somethings sound NPC and other things maybe not so much. Either way the advice given in useful. Learn the ritual and make sure (via practice or whatever), that the next time ritual is performed it isn't as fumbled as the OP feels it was.
I think that it's a colony, and it seems like their sponsors are pretty new.

Ritual is very important, but this happens a lot. In fact, it's probably one of the hardest areas for new groups to get a good grip on (no pun was intended, but it's a good one so I'll leave it).

I agree with the advice that she should run for ritual chairperson/chaplain/equivalent, and, if you find a genial person in the same position as herself like at a conference or something, could ask her for help.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:24 PM
GreekChat Member

For clarification:

Just to clarify a few things (for both y'all and myself):
- we are a non-collegiate, non-pan. group
- our sponsors are a, shall we say, VERY established group (most members over 50)
- the leadership in our group has NO idea what's going on, or what to do
- Finally, it's not just about the ritual. No one seems to know what to do or have any direction for us. There is no liason, and even if there were our sponsor group all but admitted that they have just started following their handbook in the last month or two because they wanted to sponsor us. In fact, we are having our third meeting this month and I just got my Handbook and "Invitation to Life" book because I requested them. Odds are our VP was going to forget them again at our next meeting and I wanted to see what else I could do to possibly pitch in and help. As far as our leadership goes, they were all elected before we even officially started our meetings (which seemed a little off to me anyway) and they have admitted they have no idea what they're doing (maybe due to the fact that no-one is looking in or even had acces to a handbook). Since few of my sisters even go online, I'll just let you know that I am in a new chapter of Beta Sigma Phi - which may change some of your answers/opinions on how to help me.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:36 PM

FYI: Greekchat has a Beta Sigma Phi forum too, maybe there are some sisters over there that can help you.

Lakers Nation.