GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,521
2 members and 2,519 guests
navane, PGD-GRAD

Old 11-05-2004, 10:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb Perspective.....

Not that I usually agree w/ the majority printed by my old college rag, but this is the most rational, insightful commentary by a Kerry supporter I have seen after election day.

Maybe when those on GC who have nothing in them but venom calm down a bit, they might get a fresh idea or two. (If this description pisses you off, then it probably applies to you.)

From today's Daily Free Press (and it has to be posted in its entirety because the online version requires a registration and is a PITA.)

Emphases are added.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LETTER TO THE EDITOR: To win in 2008, liberals need to lighten up
Published: Friday, November 5, 2004

I support Oxfam's free trade movement. I support the legalization of marijuana and the socialization of health care. If this past election wasn't so close, I would have voted for Nader. I am a proud part of the much-hated radical left. That said, I've been just about disgusted with the Democratic Party and Kerry supporters these past few months.

This past Wednesday morning, American liberals became aware that we had lost the election. Again. Kerry worked hard over these past 10 months, but unfortunately, to no avail. Bush will continue to reign for four more years, and this time we have nobody to blame but ourselves. As much as I despise Bush, as well as a number of his Republican ideals, it's time I say something I've been thinking for quite some time now - people hate liberals. And not just in the Midwest and South. Frankly, they have good reason to hate us. Somewhere between seeing that Jack Black walk the stage at the MTV movie awards with a "vote Kerry" shirt and seeing P. Diddy's (or is it back to Puff?) egregiously stupid "vote or die" campaign at the Video Music Awards (yes, I realize I watch too much MTV) I realized that I was sick of being force-fed politics. I don't like to be told what to do by celebrities that seem to think they're opinions matter more than "normal" people's do, or my peers, who yell at people to vote (or vote Kerry), but seem to have no understanding of politics in their own right.

At a party earlier this year, I overheard some ditzy girl tell someone to leave because he supported Bush. He asked why, and she replied, "because he's like, totally crazy and stupid. Oh, and he likes war." Congratulations - I'm sure you won that guy over with that brilliant argument. Although this isn't how all liberals approach political debate, it's somewhat representative of it. Not a day went by this past fall when I didn't hear a liberal calling a member of the Republican Party "heartless pig."

As much as I might agree that some members of the Republican Party may actually be children of Satan, I understand that the majority have damn good reasons for their political beliefs. The fact is, liberals speak condescendingly to people and alienate them in doing so. No, America is not "blind and retarded," as I saw on away messages Wednesday, and especially not because they chose a leader many don't think is capable. I offer this humble suggestion then - that liberals quit complaining and look inwardly as to why WE lost this election - could it be because Sean Penn and Outkast addressed the American public as if we were toddlers who aren't capable of making our own decisions? Or could it be because the Democratic Party spent July and August hiding behind a talented but annoying, condescending fat man with a camera? A suggestion for '08 to my fellow liberals - stop talking AT people, and try talking with them instead. Much can be learned from intelligent conservatives. They have good reasons for supporting the Republican Party. Rather than alienating and aggravating people (thus uniting them, something liberals wouldn't know anything about) we should try talking to them and learning from them. The fact is, stupid people vote for both candidates, and hopping on the liberal media's star-studded bandwagon by voting Kerry doesn't make you a rocket scientist. We can do it in the next election, we can get a Democrat in office, but it's going to take a lot less screaming and a lot more listening to do it.

Dan Costa
COM'07
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-05-2004, 10:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Re: Perspective.....

Quote:
Originally posted by adduncan

Maybe when those on GC who have nothing in them but venom calm down a bit, they might get a fresh idea or two. (If this description pisses you off, then it probably applies to you.)

Thanks for the article. I really don't think that this statement was necessary. I have attempted to steer clear of most of the political talk, but this statement is really divisive. And no this description doesn't apply to me.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Perspective.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Peaches-n-Cream
Thanks for the article. I really don't think that this statement was necessary. I have attempted to steer clear of most of the political talk, but this statement is really divisive. And no this description doesn't apply to me.
Thank you for your opinion.

But in MY opinion, this comment pales in comparison to the other "divisive" comments of late.

-add