GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,168
0 members and 1,168 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Day

I'm not greek, but I'm curious when in the bid day process do chapters find out who their new members are going to be? Is it just before the PMNs find out, or quite a bit earlier in the day? I bet it's pretty exciting. Note I'm not asking HOW a chapter determines their bid list, but rather what happens when they find out who they matched with. I hope this isn't a "verboten" (sp?) question - I apologize in advance if it is.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
GreekChat Member

It varies from campus to campus and is related to when bid lists are due to Panhellenic and how long after that bid day is scheduled.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:24 PM
GreekChat Member

At our campus, we get the list at the same time the girls are picking up their bid cards.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tcsparky
At my alma mater, and at a campus with a chapter I support, the PNMs pick up their bids in a central spot. The sororities wait outside. As each PNM/NM comes out, her name and chapter are announced, and she runs to her new chapter. The chapter finds out who they got when the girls are announced and run out to them.

The chapter advisors who did bid matching know, but don't tell. It would ruin the surprise! The most I would tell me chapter was something vague, like "You'll be very very happy!" or "You'll be surprised when you see you you got."

There was one time I pulled them together beforehand and told them they had missed quota by a LOT. I didn't want them to be upset when they saw how few they had taken. They had time to put on their happy faces and welcome the New Members with smiles and hugs. It wasn't the New Members' fault, and I wanted them to be just as welcomed and loved as those who went to the other chapters.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:28 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
At the chapter I help advise, I know but I don't tell. I like seeing the element of surprise
At another nearby school, they tell the girls in advance. They make a banner with the new member's names and hang them from a second story window

That kinda shocked me...I thought all chapters kept it secret
Old 09-08-2009, 05:51 AM
GreekChat Member

At Alabama, I knew before my daughter did. Parents were told to wait outside the house that was their first pref - a gamble true, but I figured if it wasn't the house she rec'd a bid from, she could text me, and I'd try to find the correct house. But she got her frst pref, and before she opened her card, I was at her house, and the girls in the house were coming out each with a sign bearing the name of a PNM. I saw my daughter's sign a full 5 min before she opened her bid card. She texted me to tell me which house she was in and I texted her back and told her I already knew! Fun day!
Old 09-08-2009, 07:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Bama started something new in 2008. Each Chapter is now allowed to send Advisors early and are given a copy of our New Member list to fill out name tags, signs, etc. For obvious reasons the Advisors are not allowed to tell the Chapter members. These are then distributed to the actives who will greet the new members just a few minutes before Bids are distributed. This is so much better then the old way.

Before that we waited for a phone call from one of the officers who went to meet the new members. She would read off the list as quick as possible as the Bids were distributed/opened and right before they were released to run down sorority row to our house. It was a mad dash scramble to try to get everything ready before they all showed up.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Pref was in the AM, and Bid Night was later in the evening.

After the last Pref parties, PNMs would go back to the Student Center to fill out final rankings.

Then we would wait and wait. And wait some more.

Our advisors would head over for bid matching around like 2ish.

The we'd wait some more. In the meantime, we usually would make sure that the bid night goodies were ready and start putting away pref stuff and decorating for Bid Night.

The advisors returned with the list but didn't tell us who was on it. All we were told is whether or not we matched quota.

We went over to Bid Night around 6pm and were completely suprised by who ran out to us every year!

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

The chapter adviser, membership adviser and membership chairs knew early in the morning on Bid Day. The rest of the chapter didn't know until shortly before Bid Day activities.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
GreekChat Member

How does bids work. Can a girl get only one bid or more then one? Trying to figure out what bid matching is.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
How does bids work. Can a girl get only one bid or more then one? Trying to figure out what bid matching is.
You can only receive one.

The EXTREME cliff notes of bid matching (it is QUITE complicated):

The girls rank the chapters they Pref, and the sororities submit ranked lists of the girls who attended their Pref parties. The girls are matched. Who they get a bid from depends on how they ranked on chapter's lists and how they ranked the chapters after Pref.

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:00 PM
GreekChat Member

back in the early 90's- our bid day was the day after preference. The rush chair would get the bid list about 2 hours before the new members arrived. She would share it with the New Member Educator who would match up Panda Pals. If you signed up to be a Panda Pal you would be told by the NME who it was- but she didn't share the whole list. You could find out most of the people by asking other members their Panda Pal was, but it wasn't broadcast. After the new members arrived the active member Panda Pal would stand up and introduce their new member Panda Pal to everyone.

Also, if you had a rush crush that did not match with us, the Rush chair would pull you aside and tell you so you wouldn't be disappointed when the women ran to the house.

(wow I got through that without calling the NMs Pledges- I'm doing better!)

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Bid Night is the night after Pref. NMs got their bids around 5, and the bid came with a note to meet at a certain place at 7. At 6:30, the Membership Chair would read out the bid list. This was nice, because sometimes new members would reject their bids, and we didn't necessarily hear about that; they just weren't on our list. After MC read the list, everyone volunteered who they wanted to pick up. Anyone picking up a NM (their "Beta Buddy") would run in a group to meet them and bring them back to the house, while the rest of the sorority would wait on the balcony with sparklers and sing and cheer to greet them.

The really nice thing about this is that all the other chapters would do the same thing (but meet in different places), so you got to watch the other pledge classes run to their houses, and everyone cheered for each other.