GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 886
0 members and 886 guests
No Members online

Old 03-27-2007, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I wonder if this would hold true if the first woman President of the United States was an AOII?
I'm sure there would be an article in our magazine about it, and chapters across the country would be proud as would individual members, but I don't think that the international organization would change the tune it's been singing for one member - regardless of whether or not that person is the leader of this country. I mean seriously, "Oh the president is an AOII." Great, fabulous...something to add to a hash mark list of how many famous alumnae there are.

I too have been a member for over 10 years and have never seen a "prominent AOIIs" list - except for the AOIIs in my eyes who are far more prominent that are listed in To Dragma - The ones who donate their time as volunteers, beneficiaries of the AOII foundation, sisters who donate to other sisters in need through the Ruby Fund, and the ones who have been members for 50 years or more. To me that is far more meaningful than, "Amy Actress is an AOII."
Old 03-27-2007, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
I do understand where you're coming from; however, I think many collegians enjoy these lists (as evidenced by the many chapter websites -- including AOIIs -- where they are listed).

My gripe, as others here have stated, is that many of these lists are inaccurate and it's helpful to point to the HQ website as the final authority.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi Fraternity

Sigma Chi has two honors (lists) on the IHQ website. Nomination and selection for these honors comes from members and are not based on other (popular) perceptions of what may make someone notable.

Exerts of the two are as follows.

Order of Constantine

Each year, the Order of Constantine recognizes a group of up to fourteen Sigma Chi brothers [This year’s pool of nominees warranted that 18 worthy brothers be recognized] for their commitment, dedication and service to the fraternity. Induction into the Order of Constantine is considered to be the highest honor the Sigma Chi Fraternity can bestow upon one of its members. The honor of being named a “Constantine Sig” has been conferred on less than 500 brothers since the inception of the Order of Constantine at the 47th Grand Chapter in 1948.

Each recipient receives a certificate and a medal recognizing him as one “who has worn the White Cross in a manner the seven Founders would have commended.” Those selected have been active alumni for 20 or more years. These brothers are now members of the Order and are known as “Constantine Sigs.”

Each Nominee must receive a minimum of four letters of endorsement, three of which must be from members of the Order of Constantine. Letters of support should only be sought from Sigma Chi Brothers who have personal knowledge of the activities and credentials of a Nominee. That group would include: Members of the Order of Constantine, Grand Officers of Sigma Chi including Grand Trustee & Grand Praetor, President of the local House Corporation, President of the local Alumni Chapter and the Consul of the local chapter.

The Significant Sig Award

The Sigma Chi Fraternity has recognized more than 1,100 brothers since the Significant Sig award's inception at the 1935 Grand Chapter.

Alumni in any profession, occupation or service work are eligible for consideration. Any Sigma Chi alumnus or undergraduate may nominate another for the Significant Sig award. A nomination consists of a completed nomination form and a resume or summary of the nominee's past and present occupations and positions, professional and/or civic activities, and honors or awards received. Service to Sigma Chi as an undergraduate or alumnus is NOT a criterion for this award and need not be listed. If a candidate is selected, a nominator may be asked to assist the Alumni Outreach department with the coordination of an awards ceremony. Only living members of the Fraternity are considered for the award.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
Sigma Chi has two honors (lists) on the IHQ website. Nomination and selection for these honors comes from members and are not based on other (popular) perceptions of what may make someone notable.
Again, this is not what this thread was supposed to be, and if we really wanted to know that, we'd go to www.sigmachi.org.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutBrnHair View Post
I do understand where you're coming from; however, I think many collegians enjoy these lists (as evidenced by the many chapter websites -- including AOIIs -- where they are listed).

My gripe, as others here have stated, is that many of these lists are inaccurate and it's helpful to point to the HQ website as the final authority.
AOII does not list famous alums on their website. There is a section on the website for news releases, where AOIIs are recognized. Most of them are not "famous" as much as they are noteworthy.
This is not to say that I think it is wrong to do so, but AOII has a long standing policy of not recognizing well-known sisters on an International level. The link you provided to a discussion of famous AOIIs was from our section of Greekchat - not private, I know, but not endorsed by our Hdq. either.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopinthesky View Post
AOII does not list famous alums on their website. There is a section on the website for news releases, where AOIIs are recognized. Most of them are not "famous" as much as they are noteworthy.
This is not to say that I think it is wrong to do so, but AOII has a long standing policy of not recognizing well-known sisters on an International level. The link you provided to a discussion of famous AOIIs was from our section of Greekchat - not private, I know, but not endorsed by our Hdq. either.
I think she means on individual chapter websites. Many of them do list prominent members, although our international fraternity official website does not.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I like lists of prominent (as opposed to famous) alumni of all Greek organizations because one of the strengths of the GLOs is that we prepare men and women to go on and succeed - with leadership, speaking, organization and other skills. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding - all those lists of prominent alumni show that we aren't just blowing smoke.
I don't think anyone is going to pledge a GLO because of this or that alum. At least, I hope not! And we should all take pride when a member of ANY GLO distinguishes his/her self - it all reflects well on us. I'm always tickled when an alumni of my alma mater does well - why wouldn't that hold true for my sorority as well?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Quote:
Originally Posted by aopinthesky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
I think she means on individual chapter websites. Many of them do list prominent members, although our international fraternity official website does not.
Yes, irishpipes, you understand my point. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I don't think anyone is going to pledge a GLO because of this or that alum. At least, I hope not!

I had a friend who pledged TKE because Ronald Reagan was a TKE--no lie. But yes, I would agree that shouldn't be a reason.

I understand both sides but I have to say that I find AOIIs viewpoint refreshing.

Last edited by LPIDelta; 03-27-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
Again, this is not what this thread was supposed to be, and if we really wanted to know that, we'd go to www.sigmachi.org.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalk View Post
Reading through the "Did you pledge someone famous" thread, it seems like there are a lot of celebrities who people *think* were Greek, but no one can verify which GLO they belonged to (or if they even went to college). So, if you want to find out if a certain celeb is Greek, post here and let your fellow GC'ers help you investigate.
For what it is worth, I do understand the original post. (Reprint of the original post by RockChalk above.) Which is why I did not provided any specific list.

From what I've noticed on GC, threads may often include information (posts) that may not be specific to the original post, yet are relevant to the topic and current discussion in some way. As a reference, please see the various posts above regarding some sororities' website policies and or the personal opinions of some GC members about policies and lists etc. Or why members of their sorority may or may not be listed etc. These may not be "on topic" per the original post, yet are relevant. And may serve to get to the question behind the question - if and when applicable. As such, I would hope that any posts providing similar information, as well as those designed to "help you investigate" (as our original posted noted), would be welcome. Especially since it may be relevant to those active in the current discussion.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Do not We all want to brag a bit about our important members?

Why not, We desearve it do we not?

So AlphiFrog, what actually is your problem? Even I said this earlier but no one pays any attention do they?

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-27-2007, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I like lists of prominent (as opposed to famous) alumni of all Greek organizations because one of the strengths of the GLOs is that we prepare men and women to go on and succeed - with leadership, speaking, organization and other skills. The proof, as they say, is in the pudding - all those lists of prominent alumni show that we aren't just blowing smoke.
I don't think anyone is going to pledge a GLO because of this or that alum. At least, I hope not! And we should all take pride when a member of ANY GLO distinguishes his/her self - it all reflects well on us. I'm always tickled when an alumni of my alma mater does well - why wouldn't that hold true for my sorority as well?
I don't disagree with you, but I think another side of the argument could be that not everyone goes into a field with the potential of becoming noteworthy. Is a great teacher less successful than a prominent actress? Lists of prominent alumnae tend to weigh heavily on the fields of entertainment, athletics, and a few others. A great testament to Greek life is the number of alumnae who lead happy, productive lives, whether or not they have become CEOs, Grammy winners, etc. I think that this is AOII's official position on this. I don't think it has anything to do with not being proud of "famous" members. I think they just don't want to overplay that pride since the bread and butter of our fraternity are our everyday, "normal," and committed members.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, Irishpipes, and I know that many of our magazines feature lesser-known but no less important alumni.
As a former teacher and college instructor,I think what I did was as signficant if not more so than the contribution someone famous (a la Paris Hilton) has done for the world.
That's why it is important for we alumni who aren't famous to let people know that we are proud of our GLO and the lessons we've learned.
. Far more impressive than any list of famous alumni is the admiration we have for those we deal with day in, day out, who live their creeds and are a tribute to the founders of their GLO.