GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,400
0 members and 2,400 guests
No Members online

Old 08-15-2013, 12:37 PM
GreekChat Member

New Tri Deltas at Univ. of Georgia August 2013

Some of the new pearls at Alpha Rho chapter of Delta Delta Delta 2013....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-15-2013, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Tri Delta:

Delta State

Oklahoma State
Old 08-16-2013, 12:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Oklahoma State Gamma Phi Beta

New Members:

Entire Chapter:
Old 08-16-2013, 07:49 PM
GreekChat Member

From the 2013 Oklahoma State NM Bid Day pics posted here, is there a thematic reason for NM wearing headbands?

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
From the 2013 Oklahoma State NM Bid Day pics posted here, is there a thematic reason for NM wearing headbands?
For the past few years some chapters at OSU will gift an accessory with the NM's bid day shirt, like a hat or sunglasses. Headbands are popular because they are cute, inexpensive to buy in bulk, and it's hot as hades on Bid Day so lots of people pull back their hair!
Old 08-17-2013, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
The 2012 OSU recruitment theme was to honor Oklahoma's Native American heritage. Bid Day t-shirts all had the theme. Instead of the big Lily-Pulitzer-fabric letters that the groups have for photos, OSU sororities had large letters in Native American prints. I'd bet the headbands are from last year.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChioLu View Post
The 2012 OSU recruitment theme was to honor Oklahoma's Native American heritage. Bid Day t-shirts all had the theme. Instead of the big Lily-Pulitzer-fabric letters that the groups have for photos, OSU sororities had large letters in Native American prints. I'd bet the headbands are from last year.
Maybe I've been reading too many SJ blogs, but that seems like some major cultural appropriation to me. I suppose if any state can get away with it, it would be OK (I bet a lot of those girls are some percent Native American), but that (ESP the headbands) really makes me uncomfortable, considering the way ok has been treating native Americans recently. I don't feel like a bunch of (predominantly) middle to upperclass white girls "honoring" native Americans by having "tribal" patterned letters & headbands is anything other than kinda disrespectful.

(N.b. that I am not Native American at all, so I realize I may not have any right to my annoyance)
Old 08-17-2013, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

IMHO, I think the headbands look more hippie than Native American.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angels&angles View Post
Maybe I've been reading too many SJ blogs, but that seems like some major cultural appropriation to me. I suppose if any state can get away with it, it would be OK (I bet a lot of those girls are some percent Native American), but that (ESP the headbands) really makes me uncomfortable, considering the way ok has been treating native Americans recently. I don't feel like a bunch of (predominantly) middle to upperclass white girls "honoring" native Americans by having "tribal" patterned letters & headbands is anything other than kinda disrespectful.

(N.b. that I am not Native American at all, so I realize I may not have any right to my annoyance)
I think I agree. I'm part Native American, but not nearly enough to be personally offended. However, I don't think that painting letters in Native American prints, wearing cute Native American bid day shirts, and putting on a headband is "honoring" them and their culture. They're all cheering and taking pictures because they got a bid. Nothing more, nothing less. If you want to honor them, hold a different event where girls aren't screaming in excitement because they got into their top house.

@~/~~~~
Old 08-17-2013, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBallin View Post
For the past few years some chapters at OSU will gift an accessory with the NM's bid day shirt, like a hat or sunglasses. Headbands are popular because they are cute, inexpensive to buy in bulk, and it's hot as hades on Bid Day so lots of people pull back their hair!
Headbands to due heat are neat. They don't have feather(s) attached, so I saw no symbolism/honor toward N.A.

It's only words, and words are all I have to take your heart away.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Headbands are trendy right now. Yes, everything old does come back...eventually. *sigh*
Old 08-17-2013, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Why OH why do chapters feel the need to give headbands (or worse yet) HATS on bid day? There are girls in many pledge classes who will look back and cringe when they see the hair they worked on that morning topped off by a shapeless baseball cap. Isn't a T-Shirt enough?
(Note: They still look really cute.)
Old 08-17-2013, 06:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I think chapters want to give something other than just a tshirt and headbands/sunglasses/hats/visors/whatever are pretty cheap when bought in bulk. I remember thinking when I was a new member that the best thing was all the swag! I look back and realize how cheap and chintzy it all was but I still thought it was the coolest thing ever
Old 08-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

My daughter's favorite thing from her bid day(7 years ago-WOW!) was the handmade crown door sign with her name on it. I lusted after the beautiful quilted black bag with ZTA in turquiose and the turquoise/white polka dot detachable key fob.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Mississippi State - ADPi