GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,449
0 members and 2,449 guests
No Members online

Old 08-01-2006, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus
I understand. Maybe I should visit every house once and then take notes about them and eliminate some of them before visiting houses for the second time. I also would like to eliminate those houses who haze harshly.
On the other hand, what is good about checking out all the houses is that you're keeping your options open. I had a friend who went through fraternity rush this past spring, he rushed several fraternities and had his heart set on one of the lower-tiered fraternities. He was extended a bid from another, middle-tiered fraternity, but turned it down in hopes he would get a bid from his top choice and never got one, and thusly was fraternity-less.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-01-2006, 10:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
I wouldnt know. However, in my experience, the houses which make a big deal out of not hazing, generally suck. But like I said, I don't know how it is in CA.

But what do you exactly mean by hazing? I am fine with anything as long as it doesn't harm me physically. I don't mind wearing weird clothes, cleaning bathroom....etc.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Listen, despite what people on here would have you believe, most hazing doesnt involve you getting hit. It may involve you working hard, breaking a sweat doing yard work, etc...The most physical things our pledges did was conditioning for football. I mean, its tough, but it has a point.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinerbock
Listen, despite what people on here would have you believe, most hazing doesnt involve you getting hit. It may involve you working hard, breaking a sweat doing yard work, etc...The most physical things our pledges did was conditioning for football. I mean, its tough, but it has a point.

I'm fine with all that. There are a lot of stories about hazing but most of those stories don't have a basis i think.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Other types of hazing would depend on how much drinking you want and are willing to do. From my experience at San Diego, the hazing meant drinking a lot having to wake up early to clean the brothers beach houses, getting smoked out, and taking care of personal favors from the brothers. There are houses that make a big deal out of hazing, and there are others who won't tolerate hazing but it doesn't mean that they suck. Most likely, there was an event in the past that forced the issue and strong anti-hazing sentiment
Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I have never seen the whole "you have to drink this much" thing. I think most situations like that are fun, and you're just chugging beer or something. Its not like you having to stop means getting kicked out or being punished. Most likely it'll result in brothers going "ohhhhhh, we've got a lightweight!" Personal favors are very true, and its fine. Thats pledgeship, lots of tasks and errands. My reason for saying the anti-hazing houses suck, is because they have in my experience. Now there is a difference between houses who make light of hazing "oh its really not bad, we have a national policy," and the houses who make it their main issue "we here at _____ feel hazing degrades the pledge and we never do it." The latter tend to be fraternities desperate for pledges, and the kind who long for strict anti-hazing don't tend to be the guys I'd want. If a guy's number one concern is joining a group that doesnt haze at all, I wouldnt want them in my fraternity. Plus, the guy my fraternity preferred were the ones who knew what they were getting into, new the traditional nature of fraternities, and desired to be a part of that. Guys who are like that generally know what happens during pledgeship to a degree and want to go through it, and those are the guys I would want.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbeta1
Other types of hazing would depend on how much drinking you want and are willing to do. From my experience at San Diego, the hazing meant drinking a lot having to wake up early to clean the brothers beach houses, getting smoked out, and taking care of personal favors from the brothers. There are houses that make a big deal out of hazing, and there are others who won't tolerate hazing but it doesn't mean that they suck. Most likely, there was an event in the past that forced the issue and strong anti-hazing sentiment

Oh cool. How long does it take? I mean for how long would i need to clean the brothers beach houses? Like everyday for a week or so?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:52 PM
GreekChat Member

The mornings after any big parties, usually on the weekends until you get initiated. The whole drinking scene I was describing was more like being given a handle or expecting a pledge to drink when you tell him to. There are houses who assure new members that they will not be hazed, i.e., being beaten, forced to drink large amounts of alcohol, or partake in degrading activities.

Last edited by sdbeta1; 08-01-2006 at 11:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I bet a lot of rushees end up having no bids.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:45 AM
GreekChat Member

That depends on several factors, such as how many guys are rushing, how many bids fraternities are willing to give out, and how well certain guys fit in with each fraternity.

Don't sweat it, the best advice anyone can give a rushee is to just be yourself. Try not to worry about getting a bid until rush is over. As long as you talk to the guys and be yourself, you'll have a decent chance. Don't go out of your way to buy fancy clothes or change your hairstyle or put on an act to impress the guys. Believe me, the guys will be able to see through whatever facade you try to put on. Just be yourself, that's the key.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkus
People say it's very hard to get a bid when you are 22 years old and a junior at college so I'll have to settle with whoever recruits me. Who knows maybe i'll end up at a good place, or maybe not. We'll see.
I don't think at State you'll have an issue. I went to UCSD and a pledge over 21 was not rare. I remember meeting a brother from a USD chapter (I think it was Delt) that was in his late 20s / early 30s.

I think it's great your asking questions but I really think you're over analyzing State rush. When they have Rush Orientation visit all the tables and go with your gut feeling. Not every chapter will be worth it for you to actually visit. It's all a personal fit sort of thing. Don't let the fratties on here freak you out. I'm sure their advice is solid for Southern schools, maybe even for USC. But for San Diego? It's probably too "traditional".
Old 08-02-2006, 02:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl
I don't think at State you'll have an issue. I went to UCSD and a pledge over 21 was not rare. I remember meeting a brother from a USD chapter (I think it was Delt) that was in his late 20s / early 30s.
I know exactly who you are talking about and he is a Delt, I thought he was at least 30. However, at the time they were struggling for members. They didn't do too well that year because not many freshman wanted to join the smallest chapter on campus. By the time I graduated, they had become one of the largest.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:33 AM

I remember he seemed like a cool guy. But I was an advisor at an exchange and he was older than me and the other advisor. We thought that was strange. I kept wanting to shoo my girls away from him because it just felt wrong somehow.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalGirl

I think it's great your asking questions but I really think you're over analyzing State rush. When they have Rush Orientation visit all the tables and go with your gut feeling. Not every chapter will be worth it for you to actually visit. It's all a personal fit sort of thing. Don't let the fratties on here freak you out. I'm sure their advice is solid for Southern schools, maybe even for USC. But for San Diego? It's probably too "traditional".
Hey you are right I am asking so many questions because I am very new to this "greek" thing and also i am trying to make this thread full of information about fraternities so that others will find useful info here as well.
Old 08-02-2006, 03:05 AM
GreekChat Member

That is exactly the reason why it is harder for non-trads to get a bid, but usually there is a chapter or two doing open bidding.