GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 2,302
1 members and 2,301 guests
Pinkmagnolia921

Old 03-06-2007, 07:55 AM
GreekChat Member

what the HELL is "paper"? As far as I'm concerned it's when you rush through a chapter meeting by only reporting on what is exactly written on the agenda (hence the "paper chapter")....
San Jose State University
Zeta Iota Chapter
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

At one point, there was a pledge process where hazing may or may not have occurred. Paper refers to those chapter members who were made without a "pledge process". Basically, they filled out the paper work and became members. At least this is what I always thought it meant

But to add by .08 cents, any prospective who criticizes a chapter because they follow the rules of their national organization does not deserve membership. Think of the lawsuits and the lives that have ended because of hazing! And truly, what difference does it make if they are paper if they are doing the work of their sorority? There are tons of frat and sorority members who are not "paper" and who are not "active". I would rather have an active soror, whether she is paper or not is of no consequence to me in the long term.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLovve View Post
Hi! I am a current college student and very interested in Greek Life. I've done my research, found info, and found the sorority that I feel is right for me. But there is one problem. The active chapter at my school are known as "paper made". I've been informed that paper made means they have not been "MADE"(I'm hoping we all know what this means), they have only went through the RUSH and/or paper process. Now I've thought about this and decided that I do not want to represent a chapter that gets no respect and I want to actually earn letters. I do not plan on transferring soon, so I was wondering what could be done to stop this process and actually have a good name within this chapter? How can these speculations against this chapter be changed? The chapter is great in volunteer work, helping our school, surrounding schools and the community but they have that one flaw which will stand out greatly with other chapters and sororties/fraternities. Help please!

If you are more concerned about getting the "respect" of other greeks than you are of being respected by the chapter you are trying to join (and more importantly, of respecting them and the way they run their chapter), I strongly question your motives for wanting to join. Our organizations are lifetime membership service organizations, not tools of social validation for people under 25. The fact that you are ready and willing to put yourself, the chapter, and the organization at risk before even being accepted says that you don't really know or believe that.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLovve View Post
Hi! I am a current college student and very interested in Greek Life. I've done my research, found info, and found the sorority that I feel is right for me. But there is one problem. The active chapter at my school are known as "paper made". I've been informed that paper made means they have not been "MADE"(I'm hoping we all know what this means), they have only went through the RUSH and/or paper process. Now I've thought about this and decided that I do not want to represent a chapter that gets no respect and I want to actually earn letters. I do not plan on transferring soon, so I was wondering what could be done to stop this process and actually have a good name within this chapter? How can these speculations against this chapter be changed? The chapter is great in volunteer work, helping our school, surrounding schools and the community but they have that one flaw which will stand out greatly with other chapters and sororties/fraternities. Help please!
Please understand that being Greek has more to do with than a peer reputation regarding the viability of how they were "made." It's about the maturity to understand the ideals of the organization you aspire to become a part of and making that a part of your life, your way of being in the world, in your service to the community and humanity, and how you treat everyone, even, ironically, your fraternity brothers. Just last year, I talked with prospective members of my undergrad chapter,which is known for being "rowdy," about the same thing:I grilled them, pressing them to find out if they be active in the Fraternity in 5,10,or 25 years when they willl no longer undergraduate life and have to sacrifice to go to chapter and committee mettings, mentor kids, with pressures of work, family, church,etc.will they be doing what the things the chapter you're looking down the nose at are doing. We have this saying in Omega: It's much harder to be a brother than it is to pledge.That's the acid test! (I say this as someone on the way to 30 years as a member of Omega Psi Phi and still active.)

GreekChat.com - The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network

Last edited by Wolfman; 03-06-2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-07-2007, 09:53 PM
GreekChat Member

yo this whole pledge vs paper bullshit is exactly just that...BULLSHIT!!! it doesnt matter how you got it, it wat you're doin once you're in. i know plenty of people who were MADE, but them niggas aint financial now, or if they are, they aint doin shit. if you're MADE, cool, do some work neo!!! if you're paper, cool, so be it...do some work neo!!! i aint even gonna go into this shit any further cuz its just fuckin stupid...thats my $19.14 about this shit...

GOMAB OR GO HOME!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNYC2 View Post
yo this whole pledge vs paper bullshit is exactly just that...BULLSHIT!!! it doesnt matter how you got it, it wat you're doin once you're in. i know plenty of people who were MADE, but them niggas aint financial now, or if they are, they aint doin shit. if you're MADE, cool, do some work neo!!! if you're paper, cool, so be it...do some work neo!!! i aint even gonna go into this shit any further cuz its just fuckin stupid...thats my $19.14 about this shit...

GOMAB OR GO HOME!!!

AMEN!!
Old 03-08-2007, 11:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

GOMAB OR GO HOME!!!

THE TRUTH!! This whole "paper vs. made" thing is all about self-esteem and the need to be validated by people when it doesn't matter and has no bearing on what kind of member you will be. If you're confident about yourself, then it shouldn't matter what others (even your own sorors or frat) think about you. Just be ACTIVE!
Old 03-10-2007, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I want to know in what MIP does ANYBODY just walk in? In my fraternity, you can't even submit an application if three people don't sponsor you upfront. In other orgs, I understand that the standard is even higher.
I guess I can't comment on what I mean by walking in, at least not on this site.

I'm not paper though. Oh, and I'm an active member of my fraternity.
Romans 1:16

Last edited by PrettyBoy; 03-10-2007 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleMcGuire1983 View Post
what the HELL is "paper"? As far as I'm concerned it's when you rush through a chapter meeting by only reporting on what is exactly written on the agenda (hence the "paper chapter")....
It means not having an actual traditional pledge process. You know, the way pledging started when fraternities/sororities were originally founded. To break it down....HAZING.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
It means not having an actual traditional pledge process. You know, the way pledging started when fraternities/sororities were originally founded. To break it down....HAZING.
yo, you can pledge with out hazing...just most people dont. i mean lets be real...do you think our respective founders envisioned us beating down each other till we're almost in need of medical assistance? gettin wood has been tradition, but ALOT of the times mofos be OD'n with it...and are lucky that crescents/scrollers/sphinxmen/lampadoos/centaurs/ACs/ivies/pryamids/auroras havent been put in the hospital more than they have or dont come forward and tell Nationals. dont get me wrong, i'm all for pledging, but there's more to it than just beatin someone's ass. you can pledge them mentally as well as physically...but i'm sure you know what i'm talkin about.
Old 03-11-2007, 03:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
yo, you can pledge with out hazing...just most people dont. i mean lets be real...do you think our respective founders envisioned us beating down each other till we're almost in need of medical assistance? gettin wood has been tradition, but ALOT of the times mofos be OD'n with it...and are lucky that crescents/scrollers/sphinxmen/lampadoos/centaurs/ACs/ivies/pryamids/auroras havent been put in the hospital more than they have or dont come forward and tell Nationals. dont get me wrong, i'm all for pledging, but there's more to it than just beatin someone's ass. you can pledge them mentally as well as physically...but i'm sure you know what i'm talkin about.
You're right, and I agree with you, but I just don't think anything should be free. I think everything should be worked for and not given to someone on a silver platter. I think if I skated into Kappa land, I don't think I would love it and appreciate it like I do now. I don't even think I would be close to my sands either. How could I if there was no bonding. I pledged for 16 weeks with these guys and our bond is so tight it's incredible. If we skated in, they would have gone their way, and I would have gone mine, and once I graduated from college, I wouldn't love Kappa the same. How could I, if I didn't work for it. I don't think anyone's life should be at risk where a hostpital is involved but mistakes do happen. It's unfortunate but it does happen.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^oh nah, i'm not sayin one should skate in. i'm not even a fan of this MIP shit, but hey its here and it doesnt look like its goin anywhere anytime soon, even tho MIP was a knee-jerk reaction by our respective orgs HQs. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! i cant fucks wit that skating shit either, but like i said, there's a way to pledge hard with out OD'n on pplz.

oh yeah, let me say this...if you're paper, and thats the only way that chapter does it...so be it, you have no control over the way you come in.

Last edited by BlueNYC2; 03-11-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyBoy View Post
You know, the way pledging started when fraternities/sororities were originally founded.
Really?

It's a jungle out there.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulattogyrl View Post
Really?
--->to the corner mulattogyrl
Old 03-11-2007, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mulattogyrl Send a message via Yahoo to mulattogyrl
Quote: