GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,220
0 members and 1,220 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a re-founding father of the Iota Gamma Chapter of Sigma Nu Fraternity at Mississippi State University.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a founder of a local Sigma Phi Gamma chapter. It looks like I am not the only non-panhellenic sorority girl on here, is this right?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassyBlonde View Post
I am a founder of a local Sigma Phi Gamma chapter. It looks like I am not the only non-panhellenic sorority girl on here, is this right?
I'm confused now. I thought you weren't Greek and were rushing in the fall?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

I am greek but non collegiate greek. I mentioned throughout some of posts about it and how it has not fulfilled what I was looking for which is why I want to rush in the fall.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I am greek but non collegiate greek. I mentioned throughout some of posts about it and how it has not fulfilled what I was looking for which is why I want to rush in the fall.
Oh, so it's like a service org/honors org/etc?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

It is a "friendship sorority", so basically, yes, a service organization. :] It is extremely new and I do expect I will be more satisfied with it as time passes as we do more events. We were recently just installed. I do love the girls, there are about 10 of us. I just desire more sisters and the collegiate sorority experience!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
It is a "friendship sorority", so basically, yes, a service organization. :] It is extremely new and I do expect I will be more satisfied with it as time passes as we do more events. We were recently just installed. I do love the girls, there are about 10 of us. I just desire more sisters and the collegiate sorority experience!
I really don't mean this to be rude, but how much of the collegiate sorority experience can one get as a senior who is going to graduate as soon as she is initiated?

And what does a friendship sorority mean? How does it differ from say, a Panhellenic sorority?

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I understand your question/concern . . . seems to be a common one I am getting. And my answer is more of an experience than I would get than if I never did it at all. Panhellenic sororities seem to be more structured and have a lot more social events to participate in with a lot more girls
Old 06-10-2011, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Oh, so it's like a service org/honors org/etc?
Quote:
Sigma Phi Gamma International Sorority, Inc. was founded on August 29, 1920, at Hartford City, Indiana. It was founded as a non-academic friendship sorority with a permanent charter. Today, Sigma Phi Gamma is still recognized as one of the largest and finest organizations of its kind, with chapters established all over the United States and Canada.
http://www.sigmaphigamma.com/

Is it just me or does Indiana seem to have quite a few of these sort of orgs? Tri Kappa is from there as well, isn't it?
Old 06-11-2011, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

It does seem like Indiana had a number of these organizations start out there!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:59 AM

Quote:
I understand your question/concern . . . seems to be a common one I am getting. And my answer is more of an experience than I would get than if I never did it at all. Panhellenic sororities seem to be more structured and have a lot more social events to participate in with a lot more girls
At some schools, no, not really.

If you want more events and more girls, put work into your Sigma Phi Gamma chapter and get them. These things don't happen overnight.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I am a founder of Sigma Beta Rho Fraternity Inc., at Syracuse University.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Charter member of Upsilon Xi Chapter of Tau Kappa Epsilon at Oakland University. We had a handful of elite guys including myself that brought us to our success that we are at today. We will be receiving our Charter in San Antonio, Texas in about a week :-)

A new fraternity has not successfully integrated on our campus in the past twenty two years although many have tried. After we were recognized as a Chapter a few other fraternities also tried to come on but all have either failed or are struggling immensely.

I applaud everyone here who is a founder, chartering member, or person who put in substantial effort to bring their organization to be successful and hopefully elite.
A lot of your organizations efforts are up to you building yourself as well as you being able to build and motivate your members to take action. This is always done by creating and delivering value to the organization, other student organization, university, and surrounding community.