GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,459
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, aolviatopz5295
» Online Users: 2,751
0 members and 2,751 guests
No Members online

Old 06-11-2010, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmie_k View Post
You are being very rude DrPhil, I am not in a sorority yet but I know girls around here aren't allowed to wear letters to drink even when it is the pledge class going out together.
Wow. Did you even read the last page of this thread? I mean... really?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-11-2010, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I can ask my neighbor, my cousins in Alabama, my mom, and all my older friends and they will say they aren't allowed to even have the letters on a key ring when they go to Beale Street or a bar across from school.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:09 PM
GreekChat Member

I read the page nobody is saying it is against every sororities rules but I am saying around here atleast none of them wear letters to go out or in the sororities I know of in other states. It is a rule used more than not.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I can ask my neighbor, my cousins in Alabama, my mom, and all my older friends and they will say they aren't allowed to even have the letters on a key ring when they go to Beale Street or a bar across from school.
But you can't answer it for yourself since you're not greek and don't have letters to wear. Your opinion doesn't count.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I read the page nobody is saying it is against every sororities rules but I am saying around here atleast none of them wear letters to go out or in the sororities I know of in other states. It is a rule used more than not.
Wrong. IN YOUR AREA it may be used. Unless you've visited every single chapter of every single sorority you have no idea whether it's common or not. Shut up now.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are being very rude DrPhil, I am not in a sorority yet but I know girls around here aren't allowed to wear letters to drink even when it is the pledge class going out together.
QFP (this post is a lot shorter than the stupid one that you deleted). Begin and end post at the bolded.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
QFP
Old 06-11-2010, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

You are all being rude, I can name the chapters at U. Memphis, my moms at U. Tenn and my cousins at North Alabama and they don't wear letters when they go out to drink. I know if more southern girls post on here they will say they don't wear letters to bars! I actually get why because you don't want the chapter associated with underage drinking and if you are 21 you want to look cute when you go out but it still is a rule that walks a fine line, if a girl does get wasted and is 18 ppl still know she is a XY. Nanners52674, I can have one of my current sorority friends get on here and tell you they don't wear letters when they go out. Your little attitude is what makes girls not want to join a sorority because you make it like it is a privilege to join and only a certain kind of girl is good enough to be you, when it is something anyone should join for a bond of friendship and fun.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are all being rude
Then shut up and go away.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
You are all being rude, I can name the chapters at U. Memphis, my moms at U. Tenn and my cousins at North Alabama and they don't wear letters when they go out to drink. I know if more southern girls post on here they will say they don't wear letters to bars! I actually get why because you don't want the chapter associated with underage drinking and if you are 21 you want to look cute when you go out but it still is a rule that walks a fine line, if a girl does get wasted and is 18 ppl still know she is a XY. Nanners52674, I can have one of my current sorority friends get on here and tell you they don't wear letters when they go out. Your little attitude is what makes girls not want to join a sorority because you make it like it is a privilege to join and only a certain kind of girl is good enough to be you, when it is something anyone should join for a bond of friendship and fun.
QFP.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Alright, benefit of the doubt for one moment.

The "policy" of not allowing people to drink in letters is frequently implemented at the chapter level and is sometimes supported purely by tradition. Your experience, however, does not make it a universal fact. For many, avoiding drinking while in letters is something they choose to do, but it is not something they are required to do.

Regarding the bolded, you can take your attitude and trot on back to your mama. It is my privilege to be a member. It is my privilege to have sisters. It is their privilege to have me as a member. That's how this works. "Friendship and Fun" are not in my motto.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post

Regarding the bolded, you can take your attitude and trot on back to your mama. It is my privilege to be a member. It is my privilege to have sisters. It is their privilege to have me as a member. That's how this works. "Friendship and Fun" are not in my motto.
LOL. I love how the benefit of the doubt was in paragraph 1 and not paragraph 2.

ETA: I hope the OP got her topic addressed to her satisfaction. LOL. As for the other topic in this thread, I really don't understand why it's so hard for some people to grasp. Tradition isn't synonymous with "rule" and "universal." You need to know what the "rules" are for your GLO (not just for the chapters that you know about) and don't even BEGIN to hypothesize about and try to enforce the "rules" for other GLOs.

Last edited by DrPhil; 06-11-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
LOL. I love how the benefit of the doubt was in paragraph 1 and not paragraph 2.
It was only for a moment.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Nanners52674, I can have one of my current sorority friends get on here and tell you they don't wear letters when they go out. Your little attitude is what makes girls not want to join a sorority because you make it like it is a privilege to join and only a certain kind of girl is good enough to be you, when it is something anyone should join for a bond of friendship and fun.
You're missing my point. I can get on here and tell you my org has a policy on it because I'm a member of a sorority. Since you're not you can't actually comment on it. You know that, hence why you are offering to get a friend to prove you right. Just sit down and shut up.

And if you do go through recruitment I hope your lovely know it all about greek life attitude shines through to all the chapters.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You are all being rude
OK. And you're being stupid. Our points are valid, and you're acting a fool.