GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,460
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, anthonshtolze75
» Online Users: 2,352
1 members and 2,351 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 06-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Well, it depends how far "colors" day goes. If your colors are pink and blue and you wear a pink shirt and blue jeans, and it stops there, that's fine.
Having a colors day itself is considered pledging and/or hazing for some organizations and is therefore against the rules. It doesn't matter what that entails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl
And as I said, at many schools there's an unofficial day where the whole Greek community wears letters. If it's part of that I don't see a problem with it (as locals usually don't let their letters be worn until initiation).
The Greek community wearing letters, colors, or symbols/pins/badges is not the same thing as "pledges" being asked (read: made) to do so.

(FYI, NPHC orgs generally also don't let our letters/symbols be worn until initiation.)

It all boils down to what is in agreement with school, state, and/or national organization regulation. The OP is in a local so she needs to be concerned with school and state. There is little room for personal opinion. What makes sense or seemingly "stops there, that's fine" doesn't matter. All forms of hazing originally began with personal opinions and "stops there, that's fine."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2010, 04:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to dreamseeker
Quote:
Originally Posted by preciousjeni View Post
Why would you even want to do such childish, immature things? Are you not young women preparing for the workforce? Perhaps you could attempt to be adults and your hazing troubles will be alleviated.
bwahaha. this made me think of something. ima pm you.
Old 06-06-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by odpsp08 View Post
we are proud about our pledge program and it has been in effect for the past 50 years. everyone has a different program so people should not be judging on whether or not we haze our girls...we have had hundreds of sisters go through the same thing and it has never been an issue before. i think this is all the help in going to get with this here so thank you to the one person who gave me information i could use.
You should've never come here in the first place. Despite 50 years and your supposed confidence over your pledge program, you created this thread. You're young in your organization so remember that you aired your local's pledge laundry with this thread.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseeker View Post
bwahaha. this made me think of something. ima pm you.
It important to me to respect women who are seeking membership in our organization. If I don't believe an aspirant is mature enough to be successful in the sorority without any effort on my part to break her down in order to build her back up, I will do everything I can to make sure she isn't in the position to join in the first place.

Quote:
everyone has a different program so people should not be judging on whether or not we haze our girls, which i wouldnt even constitute a lot of our activities as hazing.

Cuz,

Quote:
we have gotten in trouble for "hazing" and people have gone to the school saying that they have heard things coming from our house. thank god we havent lost recognition...it sucks that things have to change but what are you gonna do?
Sounds like someone has already judged that your activities likely constitute hazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
You should've never come here in the first place. Despite 50 years and your supposed confidence over your pledge program, you created this thread. You're young in your organization so remember that you aired your local's pledge laundry with this thread.
Not to mention letting us all know she's from Spring 2008.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:41 PM
Banned

So, sound the alarms!!! The local ODP (that makes me wanna sing an ODB song) is hazed and confused.
Old 06-06-2010, 02:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
we dont beat them, we dont force them to drink, we dont degrade them.
You force them to come in through the back door and do menial tasks for you. How in the name of all that is holy is that NOT degrading?
Old 06-06-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Having a colors day itself is considered pledging and/or hazing for some organizations and is therefore against the rules. It doesn't matter what that entails.

The Greek community wearing letters, colors, or symbols/pins/badges is not the same thing as "pledges" being asked (read: made) to do so.
And I would turn the argument on its head and say that if the pledges are not allowed to feel as though they are participating in the official or unofficial activities of the Greek community - i.e. being told "OMG, don't wear colors all at the same time on letter day or we might get busted for hazing" - THAT is hazing in itself. If I would have been told as a pledge that I couldn't wear letters or some show of my affiliation on Fridays - when all the other Greeks are sporting them with pride - I would have been extremely upset.

ETA: answering the phone is slightly annoying, but I would hardly consider it a "menial task" like cleaning the house or washing cars. I'm kind of surprised that there are places that HAVE house phones any more, quite frankly.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
And I would turn the argument on its head and say that if the pledges are not allowed to feel as though they are participating in the official or unofficial activities of the Greek community - i.e. being told "OMG, don't wear colors all at the same time on letter day or we might get busted for hazing" - THAT is hazing in itself. If I would have been told as a pledge that I couldn't wear letters or some show of my affiliation on Fridays - when all the other Greeks are sporting them with pride - I would have been extremely upset.
But I think there's a difference between telling someone, "You HAVE to wear our colors/letters on Friday," and "OMG, whatever you do, DON'T wear our colors/letters on Friday or we'll get busted for hazing," and simply mentioning, "Every Friday, everyone in the Greek community wears their colors/letters," and allowing new members to do as they please.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-06-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
But I think there's a difference between telling someone, "You HAVE to wear our colors/letters on Friday," and "OMG, whatever you do, DON'T wear our colors/letters on Friday or we'll get busted for hazing," and simply mentioning, "Every Friday, everyone in the Greek community wears their colors/letters," and allowing new members to do as they please.
I know there was a thread on here about a chapter accused of hazing by their national because their NMs didn't want to wear letters before initiation, of their own volition, because that was the school custom. The NMs were basically forced by the national to wear letters - IMO, reverse hazing.

Shit like that makes me crazy. Don't go in as the lone NPC to a longtime locals-only culture and buck it at every turn and think everyone's going to have a come to Jesus moment and see things the way you do.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
This isn't about personal opinion and what individuals would say. Schools and national headquarters have heard every explanation/excuse/response in the book from actives. This is about regulations. Chapters need to know whether their practices violate rules and regulations.
Old 06-06-2010, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I know there was a thread on here about a chapter accused of hazing by their national because their NMs didn't want to wear letters before initiation, of their own volition, because that was the school custom. The NMs were basically forced by the national to wear letters - IMO, reverse hazing.

Shit like that makes me crazy. Don't go in as the lone NPC to a longtime locals-only culture and buck it at every turn and think everyone's going to have a come to Jesus moment and see things the way you do.
Was it that one or a similar one where it was pointed out that presenting the option to the NMs to vote, with the pressure of tradition behind it, makes it less of a 'by their own free will thing?' Without even knowing what language was used to present the option, it's hard to say.

If that sort of thing was all the OP's chapter was doing, I sincerely doubt that the school would be on their asses and there would be campus rumors about what was really going on. If you're worried about losing recognition you're doing something really wrong. Especially when your response is to find something you can do that no one else will "see or hear" not "something that isn't hazing."

Last edited by Drolefille; 06-06-2010 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 06-06-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
This isn't about personal opinion and what individuals would say. Schools and national headquarters have heard every explanation/excuse/response in the book from actives. This is about regulations. Chapters need to know whether their practices violate rules and regulations.
This isn't coming from actives. It's coming from pledges/new members/candidates/whatever you want to call them, the very people that "anti-hazing" statutes are supposed to protect.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
If that sort of thing was all they were doing, I sincerely doubt that the school would be on their asses and there would be campus rumors about what was really going on. If you're worried about losing recognition you're doing something really wrong. Especially when your response is to find something you can do that no one else will "see or hear" not "that isn't hazing."
It wasn't the school that was on their asses, it was their national HQ. The example I gave had nothing to do with the OP's situation - it was a tangent the thread went on.

Oh, and congratulations everyone for chasing the OP off, and making her even more resentful about having to create an anti-hazing pledge program. That will really help the girls joining this group next year.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
That reminds me of a girl in my chapter who we jokingly said would "haze herself." I think it was mainly because she was so clueless about Greek life, and she would do things that we wouldn't ask of her, or she would ask seemingly innocent questions which could be taken the wrong way by others.

Even she laughs about it now. But at the time, we would worry. She could have asked something as simple as, "I can't wear letters until initiation, right?" (even though she could). But even if we said, "No, you definitely can," to an outsider, it might have made it seem as though we wouldn't allow her to do so, and that we were trying to cover something up.

I will admit that at times, it does become tiresome trying to watch every little thing you do... especially when you sometimes have no control over the situation.

@~/~~~~
Old 06-06-2010, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
It wasn't the school that was on their asses, it was their national HQ. The example I gave had nothing to do with the OP's situation - it was a tangent the thread went on.

Oh, and congratulations everyone for chasing the OP off, and making her even more resentful about having to create an anti-hazing pledge program. That will really help the girls joining this group next year.
Actually, my first paragraph referred to your example, my second to the OP.

So it's our fault she left after asking us to help her haze in a way that could not be "seen or heard?" Not my job. Her group shouldn't haze, the new members shouldn't put up with it, and that won't change until her perspective does. She pretty much ignored everyone (from whatever conference) saying that you could pledge without hazing and complained about how they couldn't haze anymore.

Sorry, not buying it, not helping it, not feeling bad because it took its ball and went home.