GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 1,597
0 members and 1,597 guests
No Members online

Old 06-18-2007, 12:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

One time, while we were away at Retreat (at a camp on a lake), a sister's boyfriend (of 4 years) called and broke up with her. She was devastated.
/hijack

What kind of putz calls his girlfriend of 4 years while she's away on a weekend retreat to dump her? He could have at least had the decency to wait until she returned and sat down with her in person. I'd say 4 years requires a face-to-face breakup!

/end hijack
Old 06-18-2007, 01:03 AM
GreekChat Member

Its hard to isolate one specific instance to share - there have been so many for me over the years!

My chapter had the unfortunate experience of having a sister die in a car accident on her way back to school after a weekend visit home. She was living in the chapter house at the time also. Seeing the way that everyone bonded together to honor her memory and help each other cope was a very powerful thing.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post

Are these alumnae or undergraduates? When I first saw it my thought was along the lines of "Those junior high girls are gonna get a beat down!" Then I realized if you're posting it they're not perps. They look sooooo young!
Old 06-18-2007, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
It was a lot of work, such as getting up at 4 AM and staying around until 2 PM.
Great job! I am impressed with your dedication & commitment, because I must admit, on the weekends,
I <3 sleeping! You did GOOD!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM_Mama00 View Post
These stories are all so great. I have a few sisters that I've become close with that I know I could count on for things like this, but it really makes me jealous that I don't have any stories like these.
Stay involved. Quite honestly, most of my experiences have been as an alumna.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Smile Sistahood (:

Okay, so this may not seem like much to you guys, but it meant the world to me.

I have CP. A very mild case, but it's still there and it still affects my life in ways I am too stubborn to admit. I'm the clutz of the century and sometimes walk with a noticable limp. Suffice it to say that I can't do much heavy lifting by myself because I don't have to eye-hand coordination or the balance.

I am a book junkie. I love to read books, but renting them from the library isn't enough for me, I like to own them. So, I have this enormous book collection and no where to put it once I moved into my new apartment. A few Saturdays ago I went to Re-store to see if I could find myself a bookshelf. Of course, I found myself a very tall, very lovely bookshelf and I immediately bought it. (It was only $20!) I was told that I had a week to come back and pick it up, but I drive a very tiny Saturn.

I immediately start calling people. Everyone I knew-Phi Sig bros, coworkers, friends, anyone that could help me move this bookshelf from the store and into my apartment. At around 12p I called Liane, one of the SAIs I'm closest with. She has to be to work at 4p, but says that she would be more than willing to help me move the bookshelf. I took my groceries home, picked her up at about 1p and off to the store we go. We spent some time shopping and once the time came, she helped load the bookshelf into my tiny car, tied it down tightly to the trunk and off we went.

We got to my apartment with just enough time to carry the bookshelf inside and then she had to leave for work. It really meant a lot to me that she was willing to give up her Saturday afternoon to help me. It gave me that true feeling of sisterhood because I hadn't talked to her much since summer started. I mean, I had seen her in the lab and talked to her, but we never really hung out because I was always working and she was in class. It just really touched my heart that she sacrificed her Saturday afternoon to help me move a bookshelf-a sister that I hadn't been able to spend much time with.

But, I guess, when it comes down to it, that's what real sisterhood is, huh. Helping out a sister, no matter who she is or how often you get to see her, but when she needs you, you are there.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was a collegian, one of the pledge sisters few classes after mine had Cystic Fibrosis. Initially, she hadn't told anyone about and the only sisters aware of it were those involved with Risk Management. Unfortunately, a few days before Initiation she was hospitalized for complications surrounding CF. Needless to say, the word got out about her illness and she was unable to attend Initiation with the rest of her class. She was very upset. At that time we didn't know how long she would be hospitalized for and we knew how much she was looking forward to Initiation. Thinking it would lift her spirits, we made arrangements to conduct her Initiation in the hospital. After several lengthy phone conversations with the nurses on her floor (re if it would be safe for thirty girls to descend on her hospital room) and her parents, we were cleared. It was the week of fall semester finals and the entire chapter carpooled through rush hour traffic in downtown Boston with all of our ritual equipment and surprised her by Initiating her. What it lacked in atmosphere (surrounded by hospital beds and various other pieces of medical equipment), it more than made up for in emotion.

Several years later, after having seen the Installation of a new chapter and many other Initiations and events, that Initiation is by far the most special and moving experience I have had a sister of Theta Phi Alpha.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallyBrunette View Post
When I was a collegian, one of the pledge sisters few classes after mine had Cystic Fibrosis. Initially, she hadn't told anyone about and the only sisters aware of it were those involved with Risk Management. Unfortunately, a few days before Initiation she was hospitalized for complications surrounding CF. Needless to say, the word got out about her illness and she was unable to attend Initiation with the rest of her class. She was very upset. At that time we didn't know how long she would be hospitalized for and we knew how much she was looking forward to Initiation. Thinking it would lift her spirits, we made arrangements to conduct her Initiation in the hospital. After several lengthy phone conversations with the nurses on her floor (re if it would be safe for thirty girls to descend on her hospital room) and her parents, we were cleared. It was the week of fall semester finals and the entire chapter carpooled through rush hour traffic in downtown Boston with all of our ritual equipment and surprised her by Initiating her. What it lacked in atmosphere (surrounded by hospital beds and various other pieces of medical equipment), it more than made up for in emotion.

Several years later, after having seen the Installation of a new chapter and many other Initiations and events, that Initiation is by far the most special and moving experience I have had a sister of Theta Phi Alpha.
That is an amazing story! What a sisterhood!!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
When my aunt past away very suddenly earlier this year (well later 2006) I was in a state of shock. I was home taking off time from school recovering from multiple surgeries.

I text messaged two of my sisters, not wanting to wake them up at 4 AM. When they saw it, after calling me they called every sister and my phone was non-stop with calls from sisters, some that I haven't seen or spoke to in months, if not a year or two. One of them was at the funeral (held the same day) the other one was planning on taking off of work but I couldn't get her a ride. They were all at my house that night, and many of them came back throughout the week (in a Jewish family, there is a week of remembering the dead) and even after that week, they were there anytime I needed it, all of them.

My birthday was three weeks later and I was planning on sitting home alone but they dragged me out reminding me it was what she would have wanted..and I know they were right.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 06-18-2007, 01:08 PM
GreekChat Member

The only problem with this thread - I end up with tears in my eyes! Oh, how I love my sisters - and yours, too!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Ok last one I promise:

During last recruitment, one of my sister's younger sister was in a really bad car accident on her way back to college.

She got the call in between rounds (we have a 30 minute break between pref parties) that her sister had been in a terrible accident (her car was totaled and she had to be cut out of it with the 'jaws of life'). Her parents wanted her to come home right away. She didn't know what to do, she didn't know if her sister would live, we were in the middle of recruitment, and she had no way to get home (2.5 hours away and no car on campus).

One of our alumnae, a new volunteer (this was her FIRST time helping with our chapter), peeked her head into the chapter room and asked if we were okay. The sister (in tears) explained what was going on and that she didn't know what to do because she had no way home and didn't want to make another active leave just to drive her (we were in the middle of recruitment).

The alumna asked where she lived, she said it was 2.5 hours away. She said, "Get your stuff. I can take you there." She had no clue where this small town in southern OH was, but she was determined to get this girl down to see her sister.

They ended up making it down to the hospital. Her sister ended up surviving with a few broken bones and the sister's parents drove her back up later that night just in time for the Bid Night party.

Lakers Nation.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Luckily, I've never had to deal with a really tragic situation in my life. The time that sisterhood sticks out for me happened when a boyfriend broke up with me.

We'd been dating on and off for nearly a year and although it wasn't a really long time, it was a pretty serious relationship. We were long distance when he broke up with me, and it hit me out of nowhere. At the start of Thanksgiving break, he came down and stayed with me for the weekend and left telling me he "felt like we've never been stronger than we are now." Three days later, after unanswered phone calls and me even resorting to calling his house just to make sure he was OK, he called me at 4 in the morning and broke up with me with absolutely no explanation.
I was DEVASTATED. We'd had a very up-and-down relationship but I felt blindsided since things had gone so well when he visited less than a week before. To make things worse, I was left thinking I had done something wrong since he wouldn't give me a reason why he dumped me.
I was so upset that I didn't feel like going back to school after break (you know when you're upset sometimes all you want to do is be at home and taken care of). I called one of my sisters on the way back, crying, and told her what had happened. A lot of my good friends were sick of the relationship (like I said, it was problematic) and sick of hearing me cry about him, only to have things back to normal the next day. Nevertheless, this sister realized how hurt I was. When I got back to school, she came over the sorority house with my favorite snacks and a cheerful, thoughtful card. It made me feel so much better knowing that I could count on her and she was willing to listen to whatever I had to say.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan View Post
Years ago on Father's Day our small son died in a tragic accident. I cannot express to you the enormous shock and loss this was to both of our families. We were devastated.

I belonged to the Tri-Delta alumnae group in the area at the time. After the funeral members would call, drop by and check on me while my husband was at work. One day some of the DDDs came by with a sweet pansy vase and bouquet as a remembrance. Eventually, his room had to be cleaned out and the little clothes packed away. My husband and I were emotionally unable to do this. My dear Tri-Delta neighbor came over and helped me complete this task in a loving and supportive way. I know I could not have survived that terrible time without the emotional support of my sisters. Both our families were so filled with anguish themselves they could not be the help we needed at the time.
Many of these ladies hardly knew me except as a new alumnae member. I remember and am grateful still for the support they gave me during this extremely difficult period.
I'm sorry for your loss, and I'm glad your sisters were there for you.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:42 PM
GreekChat Member

When I was 19 I had just moved home for the summer after taking alumnae status because I was transferring schools. My parents were out of the state on a vacation and I got a call that my boyfriend had died the night before in his sleep. Within 2 hours I had chapter sisters at my house and my best friend left her boyfriend in a new city he had just moved to with no car so that she could come stay with me. My roommate from the house was in the middle of planning her wedding and she drove up from Iowa and stayed with me for two weeks. I will never forget how many women put their entire lives aside to stay with me and take care of me - from picking my parents up from the airport to coordinating flowers and taking turns calling me, they were absolutely amazing. I've never been prouder to be a Gamma Phi Beta.

This year an undergraduate member of my chapter took her own life and the same support system instantly rallied around her family and boyfriend. My sisters are amazing.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, GeekyPenguin, I am so sorry for both of your losses - but so glad our sisters were there for you. True and constant friends . . .