GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,334
0 members and 2,334 guests
No Members online

Old 07-12-2008, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

NPHC grade requirements?

So...I was looking through the stats for my school's Greek Life GPA stuff for last year, and noticed that for the overall chapter GPAs, 6 out of the bottom 8 (out of over 20 chapters) were NPHC...and of the other two, one was Sigma Lambda Gamma. Almost all of these chapter GPAs were under 2.5 and one was under a 2.0 by quite a bit. This led me to question whether NPHC chapters also differ from NPC and IFC academically - do your chapters have requirements to maintain a certain GPA to be active? What is it? Is it national or is it a local thing? If you go under, what happens? I figured if anyone would know, you all would

Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-12-2008, 06:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantASTic View Post
So...I was looking through the stats for my school's Greek Life GPA stuff for last year, and noticed that for the overall chapter GPAs, 6 out of the bottom 8 (out of over 20 chapters) were NPHC...and of the other two, one was Sigma Lambda Gamma. Almost all of these chapter GPAs were under 2.5 and one was under a 2.0 by quite a bit. This led me to question whether NPHC chapters also differ from NPC and IFC academically - do your chapters have requirements to maintain a certain GPA to be active? What is it? Is it national or is it a local thing? If you go under, what happens? I figured if anyone would know, you all would

Thanks!
That is a question of mine too... the black fraternity GPA's are always absurdly lower than the rest of the pack...isn't there some sort of social probation? Always dealt at a local level?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-12-2008, 06:12 PM
Unregistered-

I get the feeling that if we don't know about it, then maybe we're not supposed to know. Based on what I've seen with the different NPHC groups on GC, they just don't have their stuff put out there like other umbrella groups. Sometimes I think we could learn a lot about discretion from them.

NPHC business is NPHC business.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I posted and then deleted because I was getting into stuff that I don't think the OP meant to get into, but you can find some GPA requirement stuff on at least some of the NPHC groups. They don't necessarily say what it takes to stay in good standing, but you can find requirements to rush/intake.

One thing to keep in mind is the relatively small chapter size of some NPHC groups compared to NPC or NIC groups. If you have a small chapter, it might make more sense not to worry that much about average GPA since one or two people can affect it so much.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-12-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
I get the feeling that if we don't know about it, then maybe we're not supposed to know. Based on what I've seen with the different NPHC groups on GC, they just don't have their stuff put out there like other umbrella groups. Sometimes I think we could learn a lot about discretion from them.

NPHC business is NPHC business.
It's not only that -- because personally, I'm glad to answer non-ritual questions for the most part -- but more like jeez, what is there for us to really say on this particular matter?

If I talk about the disparities in high school preparation, we go off on a tangent about race and DSTCHAOS gets called Mrs. Rev. Wright again.

If I talk about smaller chapters + NPHC initiates typically already being active in MANY campus activities, that's another tangent which will lead to some NPC chick feeling offended because they think I'm saying white girls aren't active on campus.

If I talk about discretion, then we're "sitting together in the cafeteria" again.

I say go to the websites...hell, shoot them an email if you're so inclined.

BTW, not all of us on GC are even qualified to answer because some weren't initiated as undergrads.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
It's not only that -- because personally, I'm glad to answer non-ritual questions for the most part -- but more like jeez, what is there for us to really say on this particular matter?

If I talk about the disparities in high school preparation, we go off on a tangent about race and DSTCHAOS gets called Mrs. Rev. Wright again.

If I talk about smaller chapters + NPHC initiates typically already being active in MANY campus activities, that's another tangent which will lead to some NPC chick feeling offended because they think I'm saying white girls aren't active on campus.

If I talk about discretion, then we're "sitting together in the cafeteria" again.

I say go to the websites...hell, shoot them an email if you're so inclined.

BTW, not all of us on GC are even qualified to answer because some weren't initiated as undergrads.
You did that really well. I started going down the high school preparation path and realized it wasn't worth it and it's insulting to the NPHC members who did go to great schools.

It's kind of a shame when it's easier not to talk about something, especially something that probably is worth talking about.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Sen handled it, AFAIC.

but there are JUST as many schools where NPHC chapters GPAs are the highest of all greek. Im speaking for what I hear of SGRho chapters who win those "highest Greek GPA" awards (or whatever that school's equivalent is). Im sure other D9 orgs here can make the same claim for more than a few of their chapters.

-tld221
--graduated with a 3.3, initiated as an UG and of a small chapter (but you knew this already)
Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
Sen handled it, AFAIC.

but there are JUST as many schools where NPHC chapters GPAs are the highest of all greek. Im speaking for what I hear of SGRho chapters who win those "highest Greek GPA" awards (or whatever that school's equivalent is). Im sure other D9 orgs here can make the same claim for more than a few of their chapters.

-tld221
--graduated with a 3.3, initiated as an UG and of a small chapter (but you knew this already)
It'd be interesting to know.

It's also interesting to think about why women's averages are typically higher than men's.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
Yes...yes...yes...I was going to ignore this thread.

But I will stick with the "smaller chapters mean that the GPA will be based on fewer people" explanation because that blows enough smoke up people's asses.

I'll also say that every recognized GLO on almost every campus not only has their organization's GPA requirements to remain active but also the school's requirements. I thought the OP was...interesting...but anyway.
Old 07-12-2008, 10:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
It'd be interesting to know.

It's also interesting to think about why women's averages are typically higher than men's.
interesting to know what? why some NPHC chapters have the highest GPAs on campus and why others have the lowest?

and well there are way more women in college than men, right? well not WAY more, but id say the ration is something like 60/40? and sorority chapters tend to be bigger than fraternity chapters, right? annnnnnnnnnnd if we really wanna generalize, lets just say that men's majors lean more towards hard sciences and women's majors into humanities and that a 3.0 in sciences takes more work than a 3.0 in say, art history.

(the snark, btw, is not aimed at you, but the general GC population)
Old 07-12-2008, 10:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I started going down the high school preparation path and realized it wasn't worth it and it's insulting to the NPHC members who did go to great schools.
The high school preparation discussion is a discussion of general patterns in education. It does not, and isn't intended to, apply to every member of a minority group.

So those of us who went to great schools wouldn't take offense.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
The high school preparation discussion is a discussion of general patterns in education. It does not, and isn't intended to, apply to every member of a minority group.

So those of us who went to great schools wouldn't take offense.

You might be surprised. Any claim is apparently taken as a sweeping generalization that is intended to explain everything, rather than a possible explanation of trends.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You might be surprised. Any claim is apparently taken as a sweeping generalization that is intended to explain everything, rather than a possible explanation of trends.
I wouldn't be surprised. It depends on how the discussion is phrased. Even discussions of social trends and patterns (generalizations) can be taken to the extreme. There honestly are (white) people who are misinformed and their discussion of these topics shows that.

But most blacks are used to these types of dicussions so we don't get upset. We correct those who are wrong, inform folks, and move on.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
interesting to know what? why some NPHC chapters have the highest GPAs on campus and why others have the lowest?

and well there are way more women in college than men, right? well not WAY more, but id say the ration is something like 60/40? and sorority chapters tend to be bigger than fraternity chapters, right? annnnnnnnnnnd if we really wanna generalize, lets just say that men's majors lean more towards hard sciences and women's majors into humanities and that a 3.0 in sciences takes more work than a 3.0 in say, art history.

(the snark, btw, is not aimed at you, but the general GC population)
Well, it'd be interesting to know if there is in fact a trend one way of the other for groups and GPAs. It's possible that you are correct and that most organization end up with approximately the same number of chapters with excellent GPAs as they do with low-ish GPAs.

And that might suggest that what might be true about k-12 schooling generally doesn't play out for the people who join NPHCs. Or if what the OP observes is true on other campuses, it might be further evidence of the issues that exist k-12 even with the most motivated members of NPHCs. Who knows?

But it is interesting, I think.

The girl and guy difference is true for non-greeks and even in high school so the possible explanations you've raised may not fully explain it, but it's interesting to me to think about.

Last edited by UGAalum94; 07-12-2008 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, it'd be interesting to know if there is in fact a trend one way of the other for groups and GPAs. It's possible that you are correct and that most organization end up with approximately the same number of chapters with excellent GPAs as they do with low-ish GPAs.

And that might suggest that what might be true about k-12 schooling generally doesn't play out for the people who join NPHCs. Or if what the OP observes is true on other campuses, it might be further evidence of the issues that exist k-12 even with the most motivated members of NPHCs. Who knows?

But it is interesting, I think.

The girl and guy difference is true for non-greeks and even in high school so the possible explanations you've raised may not fulling explain it, but it's interesting to me to think about.
this doesnt really make sense. countless times isnt it mentioned in NPC rush threads that HS GPAs can be a reflection of how a PNM would do her first year, but then again it be totally misleading? and that HS GPAs are used more often than not in bid selection?

and pray tell, what are these "issues" you speak of?