GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465

Old 05-01-2009, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelfireusanj View Post
As far as disassociating from a fraternity that is NIC there's a 5 year rule. I don't remember the exact phrasing but if you notify your national of disassociating, you can join another group after 5 years.
Citation please. I've never seen that rule. The rule that I have seen in the NIC is this one in the NIC by-laws:

Section 1. Membership Requirements.

(a.) Fraternity Membership. To be eligible for membership in the Conference, a fraternity must:
. . .

3. Be mutually exclusive of and in competition with other general fraternities, meaning that no member fraternity shall initiate a member of another fraternity until such time as the second fraternity shall have been formally notified in writing by the national office of the first fraternity that a candidate for membership in the second fraternity is no longer regarded as a member of the fraternity.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-01-2009, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Whats a matter, don't trust fellow greeks? :P

http://www.nicindy.org/about_us/by_laws/ its in the section 5 Comity.

Section 5.Comity. No member fraternity shall accept a petition for membership, grant colony or other affiliated status, or grant a charter to any group substantially representing an existing or previously resigned or disassociated colony or active chapter of another member fraternity, until the fraternity with which such group was previously connected has officially given written notice to the Conference that all rights have been waived by them, or until five years have elapsed from the date of resignation or disassociation. Potentially moved to the constitution.

Its aimed on the national and chapter level but they've applied it in cases of individuals too.

Thank you to the NIC for the short bylaw list, I was honesly expecting something longer than the pirates of the carribean "Pirates Codex."
Old 05-02-2009, 03:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
No, it's just great when you cite your sources.

Quote:

Section 5.Comity. No member fraternity shall accept a petition for membership, grant colony or other affiliated status, or grant a charter to any group substantially representing an existing or previously resigned or disassociated colony or active chapter of another member fraternity, until the fraternity with which such group was previously connected has officially given written notice to the Conference that all rights have been waived by them, or until five years have elapsed from the date of resignation or disassociation. Potentially moved to the constitution.

Its aimed on the national and chapter level but they've applied it in cases of individuals too.
That wording has nothing to do with individuals. I'm not sure how you're reading it differently.

Quote:
Thank you to the NIC for the short bylaw list, I was honesly expecting something longer than the pirates of the carribean "Pirates Codex."
Right. OK.

Old 05-02-2009, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

LOL, no. I'm a lawyer -- I like to see citations.

But I think k_s is right. While it may have been applied to individuals, the language of it seems to concern only groups.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:15 PM

Quote:
It's aimed on the national and chapter level but they've applied it in cases of individuals too.
Specific example or it didn't happen.

But here's the main point, unless you have like 10 majors, who is going to be in school after 5 years?
Old 05-03-2009, 02:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Specific example or it didn't happen.

But here's the main point, unless you have like 10 majors, who is going to be in school after 5 years?
There are several major national fraternities not part of the NIC.

Also, I would have to imagine that in most cases, it's going to refer down to the involved fraternities own constitution.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate2512 View Post
There are several major national fraternities not part of the NIC.
What does that have to do with 33girl's post?

Quote:
Also, I would have to imagine that in most cases, it's going to refer down to the involved fraternities own constitution.
True. I know it's been said several times that you may be able to join a new fraternity, but it's going to be up to that fraternity to decide if they want you.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to phitim1905
I agree to this a 100% seriously if you don't like something in your frat then change it, take initiative. Have some honor I don't know how you can ask this question so freely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHISIGPSITRITON View Post
Christ sake man do you have any loyalty to your Fraternity? If its not a good fraternity then change it. You know America is in a rough spot right now, not the best place to live so why don't you move to France? Go apologize to your brothers right now you spineless punk!
Old 05-14-2009, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

There is a chance you could "slip through the cracks" but eventually someone will find out, and then your pin wil get pulled.

As others have said, better the fraternity you are in.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to nate2512
how many times does someone have to say the same damn thing?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

yeah. how many times?
Old 05-16-2009, 05:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Have some Respect, for your self and your letters.....if you dont like the path your organization is going down; then change it.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsamander View Post
Have some Respect, for your self and your letters.....if you dont like the path your organization is going down; then change it.
well said
Old 05-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Everybody realizes that we are giving advice to g8torb8? And that his last post was in January? And this is May?

Either he stopped posting because he got the point or he stopped posting because he didn't like what we were saying.

But, he stopped posting.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 09-28-2009, 09:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Just for the record, it is possible to switch fraternities according to NIC bylaws. Just make sure you follow the guidelines established by the NIC.

I was successfully able to switch from Lambda Chi Alpha to SigEp.