GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,333
1 members and 1,332 guests
aidanshulzeo560

Old 03-15-2003, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Before the season started, I had heard there were pledges, 6 of whom depledged... but MTV has only shown 11 pledges. I saw the other 2 "ghost pledges" in episode 2 - and put together some info about them here. Who are these guys - and why didn't MTV just acknowledge them??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-15-2003, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting . . .

I would assume it's mostly just because they were boring and MTV didn't want another couple of Dedes taking up space. We're already following a lot of the pledges and probably MTV didn't want us to get unnecessarily concerned with two guys who weren't going to affect the "plot." And maybe they'll show up later . . . in SL1 we didn't really get to see any of the non-pledge house pledges until the infamous "Sylvia slapped meeee" episode.
Old 03-15-2003, 10:40 PM

Post Probably several reasons for the Ghost Pledges.

[list=1][*]They were way boring.[*]They were smart enough to not sign the release.[*]They rushed to become part of SXO not FL so they DP'd. Maybe they'll go through next semester.[/list=1]

Course none of that explains why Mtv would say 11 bids out of 18 rushees were given if it was in fact 13. But this also brings me back to the question of who actually made the 90% cut. If 13 of 18 (or would it actually be 20?) were cut in the first vote I'd be pretty annoyed if you then turn around and bid 13.

Texas-Gal~
You should check to see if you can spot the Ghost Pledges in any of the rush scenes. Or the waiting to be interviewed scenes.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RUgreek
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by BSUPhiSig'92
I can't believe some of the stuff it looks like this chapter is going to have their pledges doing on camera. Line-ups, push-ups, etc. are considered to be hazing by New York law too. They might not get caught until after it airs, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if Sigma Chi Omega joins the lengthy list of "unrecognized" chapters at U Buffalo.
Get as mad as you like, but this stuff was filmed on and off campus last semester. They are a local fraternity, they don't have to follow University Hazing guidelines, just the state law. Most colleges are more strict than the state law, yet in ROTC and athletics the activities go unpunished. I don't see anything wrong with the lineups and verbal discipline of the pledges so far. In fact, I'd go as far to say that they are doing (or should I say did) a swell job in pledging the new guys. There has been no physical violence, no alcohol pressured on them, just good old traditional rule enforcement.

I don't see any reason for the University to pull their recognition just because of push-ups and yelling, get over yourself, this is not hazing...

- RUgreek
Old 03-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by RUgreek
to pull their recognition just because of push-ups and yelling, get over yourself, this is not hazing...

- RUgreek
It's kind of a discussion without a possible resolution when we aren't even approaching the definition of what we are discussing from the same angle. My fraternity's definition (and most NIC, maybe all) specifically includes activities such as pushups, lineups, etc.

Before we can argue whether or not it's hazing it would be helpful to be arguing about the same thing

If you take what national orgs describe as hazing to be the true definition of it then you'd be pretty hard pressed to say what they do doesn't constitute hazing.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-16-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ktsnake
It's kind of a discussion without a possible resolution when we aren't even approaching the definition of what we are discussing from the same angle. My fraternity's definition (and most NIC, maybe all) specifically includes activities such as pushups, lineups, etc.

Before we can argue whether or not it's hazing it would be helpful to be arguing about the same thing

If you take what national orgs describe as hazing to be the true definition of it then you'd be pretty hard pressed to say what they do doesn't constitute hazing.
Good point. It's just my opinion, didn't mean to start a ruckus. However, other people here seem so bent on these guys getting nailed because of their choice of a pledge program. Whether it's hazing or not, I don't think people here should be judging them as a bad fraternity just because they don't have everyone's version of a "perfect" program.

- RUgreek
Old 03-16-2003, 03:23 PM
GreekChat Member

My viewpoint is from University recognition. They are a U Buffalo recognized organization. Therefore they have to follow University policies if they wish to maintain recognition. Also individual members are subject to University discipline. Check out the website at http://www.greeklife.buffalo.edu/announcements.shtml

It states that these students will be held accountable by the University for their actions.
It doesn't matter whether they are a local or a national organization.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:16 AM
hendrixski

I'm still not getting this entire reality TV thing... oh well

Our pledge program looks nothing like that. It seems really really dramatized,

BTW, do they show them doin' any community service or philanthropy. 'cause that's a BIG part of my fraternity.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
Re: I HATE THE THEME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoCalGirl

Alex is a puss! He threw up for pete's sake.

[/B]
Okay, I'm seeing that quite a few people think that Alex is a puss b/c he threw up. Okay, well here's a thought, maybe he was stressed. SO he has this control freak of a girlfriend, which I completely agree he should just dump the selfabsorbed whine girl--but, ya know. But haven't ANY of you been so STRESSED out that you've made yourself sick? I know I have.

As for Ron, don't you people have chapter advisors? They are alum! Come now!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LeslieAGD
Are we starting to take bets yet of how many pledges are going to be left standing at the end of the semester?
None of them. They'll all be down on the floor doing push-ups.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladybug1116
In the commercials this weekend they were using the "Sigma Chi" name again...but I think that all of the "I love you" stuff that they are spoofing (re:Alex) in the commercials is hilarious.
Old 03-17-2003, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: I HATE THE THEME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII*Azra-elle
Okay, I'm seeing that quite a few people think that Alex is a puss b/c he threw up. Okay, well here's a thought, maybe he was stressed. SO he has this control freak of a girlfriend, which I completely agree he should just dump the selfabsorbed whine girl--but, ya know. But haven't ANY of you been so STRESSED out that you've made yourself sick? I know I have.

As for Ron, don't you people have chapter advisors? They are alum! Come now!
Only two excuses for a guy to throw up, too many shots on 21st birthday and scarfing down 3 day old burritos.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AOII*Azra-elle
3 day old burritos?! uck! Yea, I can see how that would make anyone sick!

I wouldn't take any bets, b/c they probably won't make it through the pledging process--they keep screwing up!
I know that she'll be there if ever I need her.
I know that our friendship is true.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: what the hey???

Quote:
Originally posted by camelsrule510
Knowing these guys, they probably didn't do it to be mean... they named him after the character from South Park, which is common around Buffalo, across the fraternities, there are a lot of guys who are named after characters from the Simpsons, King of the Hill, and South Park. They probably didn't get the subtle satire Parker & Stone were going for when they named the character
Sorry, but I don't believe that lame excuse. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but anyone who doesn't understand the use of the word "Token" in a context of race and diversity (whether it's something they saw on SouthPark or not) shouldn't be in college. I could MAYBE accept, "Oh it's just a joke amongst brothers and Mr. Token isn't offended"... but assuming that they are ignorant of the words connotations beyond a cartoon television show is too much.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:05 PM

Re: Re: I HATE THE THEME SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by AOII*Azra-elle
I have been so stressed that I was physically effected but never so stressed that it made me throw up.

The reason I think he's a puss is because he doesn't have the cajones to tell his girlfriend "I want to pledge, I'm going to pledge, deal or move on." (Hell, even if he just said it to save face, I'd feel better about it.) He's never onced professed his love for her so therefore he's to much of a puss to cut the relationship loose and be free. Maybe he's been in that relationship so long that he's scared to move on.

eta
RE Token

Stephen is far from the only minority. And unless Aaron is not just a lighter skinned black man, then it's just (imho) an allusion to the only dark skinned kid on South Park. (I won't argue that it's bad taste though, cause, it is.)

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 03-17-2003 at 09:12 PM.