GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,315
0 members and 2,315 guests
No Members online

Old 03-10-2003, 10:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
Most probably everyone involved has signed all sorts of waivers -- they won't sue for hazing, or even bring it up again, I'd imagine.

Additionally -- they're a local. So it's not like their nationals will bother them. The only trouble they could get in, then, is with the state or federal gov't -- and if I'm right and everyone signed waivers, they wouldn't have a case because they wouldn't have anyone to testify.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-10-2003, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Actually, U Buffalo has said that the chapters will be held accountable for their actions by the University. Waivers are irrelevant in hazing cases, and don't hold up in most liability cases if there is a violation of the law (such as underage drinking, etc.). I am certain that the waivers signed are also designed to only cover the production company and MTV from a lawsuit, not the chapter. Furthermore, the U Buffalo has stated they have no contract with MTV.
There is a letter from their Vice-President for Student Affairs at http://www.student-affairs.buffalo.e.../greektv.shtml

There is also an email address to share concerns about Fraternity/Sorority Life directly with Buffalo Greeks at Stu-greeks@buffalo.edu

There are quite a few chapters at U Buffalo that have had recognition withdrawn by the University for a variety of reasons. As a university Greek advisor, I will be very surprised if Sigma Chi Omega doesn't wind up one of them after this show is over.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: The Time issue

Quote:
Originally posted by Allie
I grew up with my father always stating the same thing. To this day I live by it, and to say in a VERY polite manner my chapter has serious time issues. We tell girls to be a half hour early so that everyone will be there WHEN we are supposed to start. It is one of my pet peeves, so I totally understand where the guys are coming from on this.
The pledges may not have liked hearing it then, but it will serve them well when they begin their careers. My personal motto on time management is, "If you're not ten minutes early, you're late!" How many cheerleaders have heard that one?
Old 03-10-2003, 03:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Look over your shoulder, I could be right behind ya!
I personally was surprised that I was actually intrigued by this show. I think it's because I actually liked watching the more relaxed nature of the men's recruitment process.

I agree with those who have stated that alumni should NOT be this involved in the selection process. When I assisted my chapter I helped them with the voting processes and the rules, but I had NO say. Your chapter is, in a way, not your chapter after you graduate. It's hard to explain, but you are now in a hands off position as an alumni/ae. Chapter advising is completely different from acting as if you are still a brother.

As for the individual new members, I don't have any particular feelings yet except for one: YAHOO FOR THE ACCEPTANCE OF A MINORITY!!!!!!!!! I wonder what role he'll play and how the chapter will interact with him....
Old 03-10-2003, 10:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KuThetaChi
Actually you are abrother for life. I know what you are trying to say, but when Ileave ThetA Chi here at KU I willstay actively involoved. It is stillmy chapter and I wont let it go down the crapper because of bad decisions. It will benew brothers job to run everything and make choicesbut when they start messing up it's alumni who need to fix things and get stuff back on track!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by KuThetaChi
Actually you are abrother for life. I know what you are trying to say, but when Ileave ThetA Chi here at KU I willstay actively involoved. It is stillmy chapter and I wont let it go down the crapper because of bad decisions. It will benew brothers job to run everything and make choicesbut when they start messing up it's alumni who need to fix things and get stuff back on track!!!
Exactly! There is a balance of power in many chapters. Day to day affairs are run by undergrads. Alums step in on matters of survival! Without a strong alumni base stupid decisions could kill many chapters. You need well-grounded (sometimes more mature) individuals to be able to step in and take care of business when it needs to be tended to. I've seen the positive fruits of this relationship in other chapters being saved. When you graduate it is every bit still your chapter as it once was. You just serve it in a different fashion.

I agree though... alums serving in the capacity of selection? Dude.. move on!
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-11-2003, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If you know anything about Sigma Chi you will notice a lot of similarities between Sigma Chi and Sigma Chi Omega...they used to be a petitioning colony until they were denied by our IHQ. Here is a article from IHQ. It was a very good read and reassuring.

SIGMA CHI & REALITY TV
MTV’s Fraternity Life Sigma Chi Omega has no affiliation with Sigma Chi Fraternity

The fraternity Sigma Chi Omega portrayed on MTV’s Fraternity Life has no relation to the Sigma Chi Fraternity. The local fraternity at the University of Buffalo did apply at one time to become a petitioning local of the Sigma Chi Fraternity, but its application was denied.

Sigma Chi is watching Fraternity Life carefully and will take neccessary action if it is determined that Sigma Chi's licensed trademark rights have been violated. The use of the name Sigma Chi Omega and the colors do not currently violate these rights.

MESSAGE FROM THE GRAND CONSUL REGARDING MEDIA PORTRAYAL OF FRATERNITY LIFE

Did The Bachelorette portray a realistic dating experience? Did the Joe Millionaire ladies love Evan Marriott for his class and quick wit? Does NBC’s upcoming Who Wants to Marry My Mom? sound like a good idea?

I feel assured that you responded, “No” to each question.

I also presume that you would answer the same when asked whether Animal House, Old School, and MTV’s Fraternity Life accurately portray your fraternity experience. Let’s face it: Reality television isn’t very real.

The problem is that people believe that these shows accurately portray fraternity life today. Unfortunately, the proper portrayals of fraternity life are not sufficiently sensational for mass media consumption. As a result, the general public accepts a parody of Greek life as truth. In a sense, it may be easy to accept these programs as just another negative media stereotype. However, Sigma Chi is not about passive victimization – we are about action!

We must help ourselves and be the ones to accurately and honorably represent our Fraternity to the outside world. We can do this by constantly and proudly living up to the obligations we took upon ourselves. We can do this by continuously representing ourselves and our Sigma Chi values as honorable and good citizens in our respective communities. We can do this by living up to our potential and reaching for our goals and not lowering ourselves to shoddy media portrayals.

We must respond with integrity and class to ensure that Sigma Chi and the ideals it represents are not tarnished by third-party representation. Represent yourself and our Fraternity well. Through your individual and brotherhood activities keep accomplishing incredible philanthropic feats. Keep raising your GPAs. Keep giving of yourself to others. Let’s take this as an opportunity to rededicate ourselves to the values and ideals we strive to embody. Rest assured you can count on me, as I will on you.

Godspeed and In hoc,
~Doug Carlson
Old 03-12-2003, 11:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UNFSigmaChi
If you know anything about Sigma Chi you will notice a lot of similarities between Sigma Chi and Sigma Chi Omega...they used to be a petitioning colony until they were denied by our IHQ.
This was already mentioned a couple of times upthread - I archived the frat's "history" page on my website (before they removed it), and they were essentially denied a chapter because the greek system at UB is dismal. Up until right before the show was filmed, they were still trying to get that charter - even after the denial. As has also been mentioned several times, there is no way they'll get one now.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

what the hey???

why is the only black pledge's pledge name "token"?
what is going to happen when they show that on tv? i can think of a whole bunch of people who already aren't too happy and are probably going to get a lot more unhappy.
(Muchas gracias to Tap that Keg, Dude where I learned this info and am I hopelessly devoted to )
Old 03-12-2003, 10:03 PM
Super Moderator

Re: what the hey???

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior301
why is the only black pledge's pledge name "token"?
what is going to happen when they show that on tv? i can think of a whole bunch of people who already aren't too happy and are probably going to get a lot more unhappy.
(Muchas gracias to Tap that Keg, Dude where I learned this info and am I hopelessly devoted to )
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-12-2003, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

"Sir yes sir" ???
Old 03-12-2003, 11:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's a good line up question...

"When did Sigma Chi Omega lose their recognition from the University for hazing on national television?"

Did anyone in this chapter have an I.Q. bigger than their shoe size and think this might be a bad idea?
Old 03-12-2003, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok, Earl is a crazy mo' fo'. I'm scuuuuuured of him! Um, they need to kick Steve's ass out
Old 03-12-2003, 11:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: what the hey???

Quote:
Originally posted by Excelsior301
Awww, thanks Excelsior301!

Yeah - I wondered about that. You'd think that with the cameras at least they'd tried to be a little more couth, and not destroy the little diversity they have by singling out their black pledge as "Token".
Old 03-12-2003, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER
Ok, Earl is a crazy mo' fo'. I'm scuuuuuured of him! Um, they need to kick Steve's ass out
Yeah, lol.

I hope you DIE!

^^^

Can't you tell I'm a procrastinator?