GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,330
2 members and 2,328 guests
PrettyBoy
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Again did you read, G&Q? OP is the RECRUITMENT ADVISOR!!!!! not yelling, just getting your attention. talk to me about being distracted.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-15-2015, 05:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, distracted! You are correct. Yeah, no idea how that scenario would happen where Jane ends up with a bid from A

Last edited by Griffins&Quills; 09-15-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Unless the PNM is fibbing and didn't really put "B" as #1 on her bid card?

True and Constant
Old 09-15-2015, 09:30 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ but that would be known to the Recruitment Advisor, would it not? If the campus is using computerized bid matching, and the rankings were what she stated they were, this wouldn't happen. I think something's not right.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 09-15-2015, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

This is my first year doing bid-matching, we match by hand, and I am pretty nervous for stuff like this Thankfully our recruitment advisor is a pro- I would be a wreck by now just thinking about it if it wasn't for her
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiosVida View Post
Okay so "Jane" was number 15 on B's list and "Suzy" was number 39. If both Jane and Suzy listed B as their number one choice, is it possible that Suzy would get a bid from B and Jane would not?
No. Jane is ranked above Suzy and listed B as her first choice. She will get matched before Suzy. Someone else pointed out, though, that Suzy could have gone unmatched and then been placed in B as a quota addition.
Old 09-16-2015, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Now I may never make my "52 Pickup" recruitment video that I have spent weeks creating. I was about to paint the houses on watercolor paper, and have already painted the Scrabble squares representing the PNMs. I had planned to invite some Ole Miss sorors who sing in the choir with me to be a "Rho Chi" in my fantasy recruitment. I really thought that if folks could understand recruitment at Ole Miss, everything else just gets simpler.

And, actually, I was wondering where I should post my video. Sorority Recruitment or Recruitment Stories?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAblondeGPhi View Post
Does this help?

I did, but this was in 2001. When I went to rank after preference (2 houses), my card listed the houses that had invited me to preference (4 houses). I changed my mind during preference, so I ranked one of the houses I didn't attend higher than the other chapter I preffed on my bid card. I have no idea why they even let me do that, I'm sure I wasn't on the other chapter's bid list.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Jane lied

I have found that in 100% of these situations "janes" are telling members they listed them as #1 to save face OR they change their mind after listing chapter in #2 spot and try to get the women to go to bat for them. Jane listed B #2 if she was high enough on B's bid list. You need to look to see what number you filled quota at and where B was in relationship to that number. She is either before or after that fill line. That's how you'll know.

My opinion from doing this for 25+ years.
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZTheta View Post
^^^ but that would be known to the Recruitment Advisor, would it not? If the campus is using computerized bid matching, and the rankings were what she stated they were, this wouldn't happen. I think something's not right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post
I have found that in 100% of these situations "janes" are telling members they listed them as #1 to save face OR they change their mind after listing chapter in #2 spot and try to get the women to go to bat for them. Jane listed B #2 if she was high enough on B's bid list. You need to look to see what number you filled quota at and where B was in relationship to that number. She is either before or after that fill line. That's how you'll know.

I'm not sure if the recruitment advisor has access to the post-pref rankings of PNMs. I didn't think the chapters had access to that info - only who matched tge bid list.

I don't have a lot of experience with this but my hunch was what AXOrushadvisor said - the PNM ranked B lower and changed her mind or is just saying that to save face. Otherwise how would a PNM high on B's first list not get the bid if she ranked B #1? It doesn't make sense to me.

True and Constant
Old 09-16-2015, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AXOrushadvisor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
I'm not sure if the recruitment advisor has access to the post-pref rankings of PNMs. I didn't think the chapters had access to that info - only who matched tge bid list.
But a recruitment advisor should have access to their OWN bid list, and can look at who is in their pledge class. I've done this a number of times and can see from the list exactly where we filled quota, without evening knowing the quota number. The list goes from maybe every other girl in the PC to none right away. And then there will be maybe one or two QAs on the list, but the change is dramatic enough to know where the cut-off was.

In my opinion, there's always the *possibility* of a QA situation, or, even more rarely, that there was a snafu in entering her choices into the computers. That said, 99.9% of the time, she probably is just lying to save face.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Who's lying? (not being argumentative, just trying to figure out what's what!). Is Jane lying and to whom? Is the OP lying?

The OP is the Rush Advisor for Chapter B, so as LAblondeGPhi stated, she's got access to her own chapter's bid list. Jane was #15 on their list. So Jane should have gone to B.

Like I said - something's not right! I'll spell it out - somebody messed up during bid matching, for whatever reason(s). Sounds like there are some unhappy folks at this campus - especially if Jane wanted B, was high on their list, and ended up elsewhere. No way that is supposed to happen.

How you gonna fix this one? I know what I would do.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Like I said - something's not right! I'll spell it out - somebody messed up during bid matching, for whatever reason(s). Sounds like there are some unhappy folks at this campus - especially if Jane wanted B, was high on their list, and ended up elsewhere. No way that is supposed to happen.

How you gonna fix this one? I know what I would do.
Oh man - didn't someone post somewhere about a PNM who was the daughter of a sitting international council member, attended pref at her legacy chapter, ranked them #1, then didn't get a bid due to some kind of screw up, but the powers that be realized it right away and placed her in the chapter within a few days of Bid Day? I seem to recall that it was a recent incident, but I can't remember if the chapter made a mistake in entering their bid list or if Panhellenic did.

Also - how do most campuses have PNMs fill out their bid card? Do they have them fill out a hard copy and then a Rho Chi/Gamma enters it into a computer? If that's the case, I suppose data entry errors could be a problem, too.

By the way - I'm amending my 99.9% statement. I have seen a couple of minor errors here and there with ICS, and user error is occasionally a factor - on either side.
Old 09-16-2015, 03:51 PM
GreekChat Member

At my campus we physically wrote down our choices and I suppose it was entered into the computer. I've heard some other campuses PNMs directly enter their choices into the computer. Not sure if we do this now, but IMO that's a better way.
Old 09-16-2015, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Scan like when you vote.....
Old 09-16-2015, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Who's lying? (not being argumentative, just trying to figure out what's what!). Is Jane lying and to whom? Is the OP lying?
The sentiment in the thread seems to be that Jane the PNM is lying. The OP/Recruitment advisor knows where she fell on their bid list, and knows that she was within the first bid list, i.e. before they reached quota.

PNM Jane claims that she put B first. AXOrushadvisor was saying that in 100% of the situations she is familiar with the PNM is lying. This may be due to:
1. Regretting the ranking order that she actually did choose and trying to wiggle out of it to get into the other chapter
2. Trying to save face with friends of hers in the chapter. "I put you first but got my second choice" so that she wouldn't have to admit that she didn't want to choose their chapter.

I am skeptical about computer error with matching. If the name was outside the first bid list there may be a minuscule chance of it getting flubbed, but I just don't see how that can happen when you fall within the first bid list.
Closed Thread