GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,222
0 members and 1,222 guests
No Members online

Old 07-17-2003, 08:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Greek Life at Hawaiian Colleges/Universities

Are Greek Systems strong in HI? What's it like? What sororities have chapters in HI?

Thanks
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-17-2003, 08:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool Calling OohTeenyWahine!!!!!

I'll pipe in until Sandy gets here, lol. Delta Sigma Chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta is the only NPC at the Univ of Hawaii at Manoa. The collegiate chapter was established in 1992 but the alumnae chapter began in 1934!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2003, 08:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
Hehe, if this counts...one of my sisters from my chapter is doing a "study abroad" at the University of HI at Hilo.
Old 07-17-2003, 08:52 PM
Unregistered-

adpiucf, I sent you a PM!

Though AGD-Delta Sigma is the only NPC collegiate chapter in the state, you'll be glad to know that the Alumnae Panhellenic of Hawaii includes representatives from almost every NPC group. I think all but 4 of the 26 NPC organizations are represented here, and I have so much fun working with them every year w/ their fundraisers.
Old 07-18-2003, 01:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
adpiucf, I sent you a PM!

I think all but 4 of the 26 NPC organizations are represented here, and I have so much fun working with them every year w/ their fundraisers.
i don't know if you counted phi mu or not, but i know they are working on a chapter!! one of the sisters in my phi class is involved....she is on here somewhere....

otw, i know that there are several locals at schools there....any guesses why there aren't more npc groups represented?
Old 07-18-2003, 01:33 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkyphimu
i don't know if you counted phi mu or not, but i know they are working on a chapter!! one of the sisters in my phi class is involved....she is on here somewhere....

otw, i know that there are several locals at schools there....any guesses why there aren't more npc groups represented?
Hi pinkyphimu! I remember seeing a Phi Mu interested in starting a chapter here in Hawaii. I think I passed along some Panhellenic contact info.

I don't think that BYUH, Chaminade, or HPU have any Greek life on their campuses. It's a small island, so I'd probably hear about something. At UH-M there are 3 local sororities, 3 local fraternities, and AGD. An NPC colony cannot be established without the strong support of the alumnae chapter here.

As for why there aren't more NPC groups? It's too much of a risk. Greek Life at UH-M is so small that it's almost non-existant. I don't fear that IHQ will close my chapter anytime soon because our numbers are generally smaller than our mainland chapters, but it'll be very difficult to establish another NPC here because there's very little interest. It's so hard for the administration to get students involved in anything, PERIOD.

Still, it would be nice to see another NPC make her way to my campus.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

I spent a year and a half at U of H and at that time, there were maybe 6 local sororities and no nationals. All the locals were ethnically based--if you weren't Japanese, you weren't getting into Wakaba Kai, etc. And my friend at work was Chinese/Japanese and tried in vain to get into Teh Shih Cheh, the Chinese one.

I think that the hazing did them in. Even 25 years ago, few women wanted to pay for the "honor" of being harassed and humiliated in public for a whole semester.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by OohTeenyWahine
I don't think that BYUH, Chaminade, or HPU have any Greek life on their campuses.
I read in "From Here to Fraternity" that BY campuses do not allow fraternities nor sororities at all (not even Lamda Delta Sigma ([i.e LDS=Latter Day Saints], which is a "Mormon" sorority at some colleges, though none are from the Brigham Young system). There's also a "Mormon" fraternity called Sigma something, but I can't remember what it is.
--------------------
A few minutes later...
Sorority-
Lambda Delta Sigma is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. (LDS corresponds with Latter Day Saints, i.e. Mormons)
"
and their Fraternity counterpart-
Sigma Gamma Chi

These are found at campuses with a large Mormon student population. However, I was told once that the various Brigham Young University campuses do not permit fraternities and sororities, including the above ones.
However, there is a BYU with an LDS sorority chapter (in Hawaii) so maybe I have it wrong. Maybe they're the rebellious "renegade" chapter....LOL

http://w3.byuh.edu/studentlife/clubs/
"Special Organizations"
Lambda Delta Sigma
Phi Kappa Phi
Phi Beta Lambda
Sigma Tau Delta

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 07-18-2003 at 11:37 AM.