GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,185
1 members and 2,184 guests
No Members online

Old 03-07-2010, 06:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Red face Second try, as a Junior

Long story short, I went through formal recruitment during fall 2009 as a sophomore and got cut on the 3rd day. It hurt really bad, but looking back I realized there were a couple reasons why: my GPA was a 3.0 which I thought was good (I found out most girls had a 3.4-4.0), I didn't have a rec letter, and honestly I wasn't being myself. I was nervous and when asked questions I would not give the best answers and sounded a little lazy/unmotivated.

However, I am thinking of going through formal recruitment this fall as a junior. I am working on my GPA, aiming to get at least a 3.5, I intend to have a rec letter, and I know a lot of greek women this time around including a lot of close friends, whereas last time I didn't know anyone.

My question is: going through recruitment, should I share that I had previously gone through? That I got cut? Why I think I got cut? How much information should I share, and should I mention I've been trying to raise my grades etc? I have no problem with mentioning that getting cut was "my fault". I want chapters to see that I am thoroughly committed and I want to join for the right reasons.

-If you had a girl like me go through your recruitment again, would you give her a chance?

Sorry, I know the process is different at every school, but I just want a general opinion. Tell me the truth, I can handle it.

S/N: fall 2009, my school had about 280 girls go through recruitment and 230 got bids. There are houses which are known to take a significant amount of upperclassmen.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-07-2010, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12490x View Post
Long story short, I went through formal recruitment during fall 2009 as a sophomore and got cut on the 3rd day. It hurt really bad, but looking back I realized there were a couple reasons why: my GPA was a 3.0 which I thought was good (I found out most girls had a 3.4-4.0), I didn't have a rec letter, and honestly I wasn't being myself. I was nervous and when asked questions I would not give the best answers and sounded a little lazy/unmotivated.

However, I am thinking of going through formal recruitment this fall as a junior. I am working on my GPA, aiming to get at least a 3.5, I intend to have a rec letter, and I know a lot of greek women this time around including a lot of close friends, whereas last time I didn't know anyone.

My question is: going through recruitment, should I share that I had previously gone through? That I got cut? Why I think I got cut? How much information should I share, and should I mention I've been trying to raise my grades etc? I have no problem with mentioning that getting cut was "my fault". I want chapters to see that I am thoroughly committed and I want to join for the right reasons.

-If you had a girl like me go through your recruitment again, would you give her a chance?

Sorry, I know the process is different at every school, but I just want a general opinion. Tell me the truth, I can handle it.

S/N: fall 2009, my school had about 280 girls go through recruitment and 230 got bids. There are houses which are known to take a significant amount of upperclassmen.
I wouldn't mention that you had gone through recruitment previously...or that you got cut..its not relevant. I would mention that you have been working hard with school/your GPA, but there is no need to state your GPA, the sororities have that info. Please BE YOURSELF! Try not to be nervous, FYI the sorority women are just as nervous as you Good luck!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12490x View Post

Depending on the size of your Greek community and recruitment, sorority members may already KNOW you got cut before (I went to a school with a smallish recruitment like yours and we knew which girls coming through were 2nd timers).

So I don't think you should mention it. Overshare about reasons and such is only going to HURT you.

Lakers Nation.
Old 03-08-2010, 04:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Depending on the size of your Greek community and recruitment, sorority members may already KNOW you got cut before (I went to a school with a smallish recruitment like yours and we knew which girls coming through were 2nd timers).

So I don't think you should mention it. Overshare about reasons and such is only going to HURT you.
okay, I wasn't sure if I should mention it. I was reading other threads on here and some girl asked if she should mention it and the majority said yes. I thought that might be oversharing but I wasn't sure. thank you!
Old 03-14-2010, 01:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm fairly certain the way it works at my school most of the houses will know that you are going through for the second time. However, recruitment at my school is much bigger and to be completely honest when you have a huge crowd of girls, some may get cut simply because there are too many to choose from (I cannot speak for all of the sororities of course, however it is logically what likely goes on.) I know if I rushed a girl who was in your situation, I would like to give her a chance.

So to be more specific, I don't think you should mention that this is your second time going through because they may already know or, if they don't, it may hurt you.
Also, definitely tell them how hard you've been working on your gpa! The whole reason you are in college is for school and the girls will be happy to know that you care about your grades.