GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Fraternity Recruitment

Fraternity Recruitment Recruitment event ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,063
0 members and 1,063 guests
No Members online

Old 07-23-2013, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Fraternity Legacy Question

How much does being a legacy come into effect when going through rush? Will it help you get a bid? For example my grandfather was a Sigma Chi at SMU in 1955 and my dad was a Sigma Chi at TCU in 1985, so I'm a double legacy plus I have a lot of cousins and uncles who were Sigma Chis
Old 07-23-2013, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
How much does being a legacy come into effect when going through rush? Will it help you get a bid? For example my grandfather was a Sigma Chi at SMU in 1955 and my dad was a Sigma Chi at TCU in 1985, so I'm a double legacy plus I have a lot of cousins and uncles who were Sigma Chis
It really depends on the chapter and the campus. Some chapters may consider that being a legacy equals an automatic bid (especially if the person is a legacy via the chapter). Other chapters might not feel a legacy status matters that much.

But having said that, a chapter does not have a pledge quota or chapter total to worry about (unless it happens to be self imposed). As such, chapters are free to bid as many men as they see fit and generally like to pledge legacies. But again, if the man is worthy.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Legacy usually works like this:

1. If you had a relative in that chapter who donates a lot of money, you'll be getting a bid. The fraternity doesn't want to lose alumni donor money.
2. If you had a relative in that chapter, you'll probably get a bid unless you don't fit in.
3. If you have relatives in that same national fraternity, it'll probably help you out a little bit — it's a good conversation starter, it gets your foot in the door, etc. We bid a national legacy last year, but he would have gotten a bid regardless.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXA View Post
Legacy usually works like this:

1. If you had a relative in that chapter who donates a lot of money, you'll be getting a bid. The fraternity doesn't want to lose alumni donor money.
2. If you had a relative in that chapter, you'll probably get a bid unless you don't fit in.
3. If you have relatives in that same national fraternity, it'll probably help you out a little bit — it's a good conversation starter, it gets your foot in the door, etc. We bid a national legacy last year, but he would have gotten a bid regardless.
When you start talking about how things "usually" work, you should probably speak for your own chapter, your own campus and your own fraternity and not for anyone else. Different fraternities have different rules, and as TSteven (who is a member of the fraternity the OP asked about) said, it can vary from chapter to chapter and campus to campus.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Depends on the chapters. If the legacy is a big time donor, then you're most likely in
Old 08-18-2013, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock5060 View Post
Depends on the chapters. If the legacy is a big time donor, then you're most likely in
Lane swerve, but

considering your current thread asking for rush advice you're in no position to be offering advice.