GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,226
2 members and 1,224 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 01-01-2012, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Chicago does its own 2012 Countdown show on NYE. Actually I'm sure multiple networks have a show, but the bar I was at happened to be showing the ABC affiliate's countdown show. Anywho, they were showing big NYE parties all over the city and one of the parties featured was at the hotel where our reception is being held.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:41 PM
GreekChat Member

When attending an engagement party, does one bring a gift? If yes, would the couple be registered somewhere or do I guess?

I have never attended an engagement party before and cannot find a registry. This makes me think that gifts are not expected, but another guest asked if we were bringing anything.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-21-2012, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm just a little over 5 months out and I feel like there's really not much for me to do. Everything is booked (with the exception of transportation, but I'm not worried about that--there's only about a million limo companies in Chicago), almost everything is ordered (only invitations are left, but I have them picked out). According to the checklists I'm using on theknot.com and weddingwire.com, there's really not much for me to do that I haven't already done. When it gets to like May & June the to-do lists blow up, but it's not like I can do that stuff now...it's just a lot of confirming and final touches.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'm taking care of little things--booking hair appointments, researching/booking dress alterations, getting ideas for gift bags for the hotel guests, researching places to take pictures with the wedding party...etc. But I feel like there's some kind of big thing I'm missing! I feel like you always hear about brides running around like a chicken with their head cut off cause they're so busy! Is this just a pretend thing that the media made up?

Is this normal? Am I missing something? I'm so worried that there's things I could be doing now to get out them of the way!

Last edited by lovespink88; 01-21-2012 at 12:29 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:01 AM

^^^No, it's normal. You've gotten all the big things done so now it's all details and the odds and ends that you can't do in advance.

I think the last few months of wedding planning are as stressful as you make it. This isn't true of everyone, but I find that most of the OMMMMMGGGG thst comes in the last 4-5 months or so come from a pressing issue that has arisen (ex: your hotel didn't block enough rooms, a maid's dress isn't in yet, etc) or something a bride was supposed to do that ended up being left til the last minute (ex: if you wait until 6 months out to book your photographer, it's going to result in a meltdown. Or if you're DIY-ing all of your centerpieces, and you leave it until 2 weeks out, you're going to be stressed.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Phew, well I think I'm in the clear. Issues have arisen with every major step in the process so far. Most recently (aka today) I found out our priest can no longer do our service.

So that means NOTHING else will go wrong right? Right???

But seriously, I thought about it some more, and I feel like we're in a good place. And if something comes up I have a groom who is very helpful in making decisions and a very supportive family and bridesmaids who have helped to keep me sane lol
Old 01-22-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Officially DONE with our registry!

I'm so happy with the way things turned out!
Old 01-25-2012, 08:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Phew, well I think I'm in the clear. Issues have arisen with every major step in the process so far. Most recently (aka today) I found out our priest can no longer do our service.

So that means NOTHING else will go wrong right? Right???

But seriously, I thought about it some more, and I feel like we're in a good place. And if something comes up I have a groom who is very helpful in making decisions and a very supportive family and bridesmaids who have helped to keep me sane lol
At least (1) You have plenty of time to fix things, (2) You are well organized so it won't be too problematic and, (3) you are both keeping calm. Besides, I'd rather have the problems before instead of at the wedding!

On the registry note, my fiancee and I have started looking at registry items but we don't know were we will be living when we're married because of the whole lovely nature of ERAS and the applying to residencies thing.

Any suggestions for putting together a registry when you don't have a house? I don't want to not do it because you'll get random things you already have.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 01-25-2012, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
On the registry note, my fiancee and I have started looking at registry items but we don't know were we will be living when we're married because of the whole lovely nature of ERAS and the applying to residencies thing.

Any suggestions for putting together a registry when you don't have a house? I don't want to not do it because you'll get random things you already have.
My fiance and I are in a similar situation, we don't know if he'll even have a job when he moves back here, let alone where we're going to live. I mean, we know where we'd LIKE to live, but the exact apartment is TBD. (Yes, we plan on renting. As I mentioned, he won't have a job moving back here...we're not sure where he'll end up working so we don't want anything too permanent until that gets solved).

But we were still able to register for a lot! I mean, just because we won't have a house doesn't mean we won't eventually. We're still going to need that stuff! We registered for all of our casual flatware/drinkware/dinnerware (the stuff he has and the stuff I had from college is cheap/broken/breaking), a few kitchen odds and ends (he has a lot in his apartment though), a few kitchen appliances, our new bedspread, bathroom towels/other bathroom things. That's really the bulk of it.

We didn't register for fancy china because we are getting his great-grandmother's, which is pretty neat. We did register for a few Waterford pieces though, because we didn't have stemware to match the china.

We were just cautious to register for things that are pretty neutral. For example, we went with a pretty but standard white dinnerware set. The appliances are all stainless steel. For the bathroom, we picked out these cool graphite colored towels and white bathroom accessories, that will go well with a number of different shower curtain options that we saw. I'm in love with our bed spread--it's beige, brown and red. Basically, we didn't pick anything that won't be easy to match with decorative stuff. I think we left a lot of wiggle room. Oh, and we didn't pick out ANY decorative stuff for the registry. I figured I can live with a plain apartment at first and wait to make the place pretty until after the wedding I'm sure we'll get lots of gift cards to go towards decorating anyways!
Old 01-25-2012, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOEforme View Post
At least (1) You have plenty of time to fix things, (2) You are well organized so it won't be too problematic and, (3) you are both keeping calm. Besides, I'd rather have the problems before instead of at the wedding!

Fiance and I are sitting down this weekend to start the narrowing down process of which programs I am going to apply to this fall. And thus, hopefully start to have a GENERAL idea of where in the country we are going to be living. The thought of finding an apartment, registering, moving, and oh yeah, GETTING MARRIED after the match.....PANIC ATTACK.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Save the dates in the mail!!
Old 02-01-2012, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
My fiance and I are in a similar situation, we don't know if he'll even have a job when he moves back here, let alone where we're going to live. I mean, we know where we'd LIKE to live, but the exact apartment is TBD. (Yes, we plan on renting. As I mentioned, he won't have a job moving back here...we're not sure where he'll end up working so we don't want anything too permanent until that gets solved).

But we were still able to register for a lot! I mean, just because we won't have a house doesn't mean we won't eventually. We're still going to need that stuff! We registered for all of our casual flatware/drinkware/dinnerware (the stuff he has and the stuff I had from college is cheap/broken/breaking), a few kitchen odds and ends (he has a lot in his apartment though), a few kitchen appliances, our new bedspread, bathroom towels/other bathroom things. That's really the bulk of it.

We didn't register for fancy china because we are getting his great-grandmother's, which is pretty neat. We did register for a few Waterford pieces though, because we didn't have stemware to match the china.

We were just cautious to register for things that are pretty neutral. For example, we went with a pretty but standard white dinnerware set. The appliances are all stainless steel. For the bathroom, we picked out these cool graphite colored towels and white bathroom accessories, that will go well with a number of different shower curtain options that we saw. I'm in love with our bed spread--it's beige, brown and red. Basically, we didn't pick anything that won't be easy to match with decorative stuff. I think we left a lot of wiggle room. Oh, and we didn't pick out ANY decorative stuff for the registry. I figured I can live with a plain apartment at first and wait to make the place pretty until after the wedding I'm sure we'll get lots of gift cards to go towards decorating anyways!
OK. That's what we're trying to do. I love stainless steel, but fiance doesn't want it (because he doesn't want his kitchen to feel like the hospital and he wants to "come home to get away from work" ) but we're trying to go as neutral as possible.

That is smart to avoid picking out decor. I'd rather purchase that stuff myself and that's something that's important to wait on. When I decorate, I normally set up everything and then see what I have space for.

Also, twins! We got fiance's great-grandmother's china too! I was supposed to get my grandmothers. (She brought it over from Slovenia and would always show my sister and I. She promised us the first girl to get married would get it.) But somehow my aunt ended up with it after she died and I am not brave enough to ask for it back. (I hinted heavily but am too scared to ask).

His great-grandmother's china is beautiful and I'd much rather have a piece and pattern with family history. Plus, it's 12 pieces which would be more than I could afford with the cost of this wedding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappamd View Post
Fiance and I are sitting down this weekend to start the narrowing down process of which programs I am going to apply to this fall. And thus, hopefully start to have a GENERAL idea of where in the country we are going to be living. The thought of finding an apartment, registering, moving, and oh yeah, GETTING MARRIED after the match.....PANIC ATTACK.
Ugh. That terrifies me. I have Step 1 coming up in late May and I swear the administration reminds us at least once per week that Step 1 determines SO much of the Match. Are you getting married after graduation and before residency starts?

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Old 02-02-2012, 08:44 PM
GreekChat Member

If anyone needs to order save-the-dates, thank you notes, rehearsal dinner invites, etc, Mixbook has a really good deal right now: $15 for 50 worth of products.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/mixbook-chicago-5?sd=false&utm_campaign=UserReferral_dp&utm_medium =email&utm_source=uu30672412

I ordered my Christmas Cards from there and did like them. I think we might get our Save the Dates from them.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I went to visit another wedding venue today and I'm in love! It looks upscale, but the prices are really reasonable and it's just the right size for our wedding. Fiance will get to see it next time he comes to visit; crossing my fingers that he loves it just as much as I do!
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Better Late Than Never

I've been a bit quiet about my wedding in December, but finally, there are pictures! The site is at Serendipity Photographic, and the code is Egan1211. Sadly, the pictures are 1) not in order and 2) pretty bad ones of me, but I'll explain the basics.

DH's mother had been in nursing rehab centers since early October, and the week of the wedding, landed in the hospital with pneumonia. The pictures you see of a frail woman in a wheelchair are of her, as she wasn't permitted to leave the hospital. We found this out around 9am, and scurried to get dressed, meet at the church, go to the hospital, have a short ceremony, then get back to the church. The photos where I'm wearing a (too large) white fur coat (and sneakers!) are from the hospital. One of her granddaughters stayed with her at the hospital with a laptop, while her other sent a live feed from the church. They are the two dark haired, blue eyed beauties (and are both available, gentlemen!).

My dress was supposed to have more of a peplum, so that added some unneeded pounds, and I also cried a lot, thinking of my parents. The guys wore suits instead of tuxes due to the two very large men who have been close to DH for years. I gave each of the bridesmaids a swatch of material and told them to match it as best as possible. We all agreed that the one standing closest to me has never taken a bad picture (and I've known her since 7th grade!)! The cake didn't turn out the way I wanted it to look, but it was very good, and the mashed potato bar was greatly received!

The photographers had a photo booth, where they took a lot of pictures using props. Some are pretty good! Picture #369 shows GreekChatters wrigley, polarpi, and ASUADPi, along with DH & me.

Little story about that: In the rush to get from point A to point B, I had accidentally left my ADPi pin at home. Frantically, I emailed the ADPis who I knew were coming and asked if I could borrow one. Both polarpi and ASUADPi brought their pins, giving me my "something borrowed AND something blue" (aquamarine points & the new turquoise one). We dubbed wrigley an ADPi for the day. Also, ten invitations were lost in the mail - that we know about so far. The one groomsman got his literally a month late.

Lastly, you'll see a little hysterical laughter at the toast. With a number of deadheads in the bridal party (and knowing that we had been engaged almost 10 years), the Best Man started out with, "Well, what a long, strange trip it's been!" and we lost it! The little ducks are a joke between DH & I.

So, hope you enjoy the pictures. It's not a fancy wedding, as we are saving ever last cent for a condo we love, but I'd be happy to share almost anything with someone interested. It was indeed a Long, Strange Day!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

honeychile, you looked absolutely radiant, congratulations on your big day! i was not familiar with the braiding of the cords, but from what i could read (if i tried really hard and squinted) it had wonderful symbolism. also, i loved the snowflake decoration on top of the ribbon on your cake; and it was nice to see a cookie table in real life (since thats another tradition i had never heard of til gc), im glad that the cookie table went well after all your worries about it.