GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,548
1 members and 1,547 guests
No Members online

Old 03-23-2015, 02:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Nontraditionals on the rise?

I saw a billboard about starting your first year of college at 35. It was for a State System of Higher Education (PA) school- Clarion. Now I went to Slippery Rock in 98-01 and there was literally one NT student that I encountered in the entire time. This billboard said, over 1000 NTs.
Old 03-23-2015, 05:11 PM
GreekChat Member

My guess is that the downturn of the economy in 2007 forced more people to go college to get their degree or to go back to get a new degree (change careers). Also, retuning service members have been getting out and attending college in high numbers.

True and Constant
Old 03-23-2015, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wonder if the increase in schools offering evening and weekend programs, satellite campus locations and online programs has led to there being more nontraditional students.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

I thought I read something (possibly an article posted to this site) that claimed there are currently more nontraditional students than there are traditional students. It all depends, of course, on what is considered "nontraditional". I'll see if I can find anything…

ETA:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...tudent/245823/

https://www.aacu.org/publications-re...-population-no

http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2012/03...-bell-tower/#_

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2013/...lege-campuses/

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 03-23-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I also wonder if the increase in schools offering evening and weekend programs, satellite campus locations and online programs has led to there being more nontraditional students.
Or the other way around. I think the economic downturn is giving employers the ability to be more selective in who they hire. Jobs that traditionally didn't require a 4-year degree now do just because candidates with degrees are applying for those jobs where 20 years ago they wouldn't have. People are also finding out that the degree they earned 10 years ago isn't necessarily working out for them in the current economy and are "cross-training" into a different field (like me!). I'm actually back in school myself as a non traditional going the online and satellite campus route.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 PM

Clarion has a regional campus in Oil City (Venango Campus), a site for nursing at West Penn, and a growing online program. There certainly aren't 1000 out of 5000 nontrad undergrads on the main campus.

I'm also betting there were way more nontrads at SRU during your time there than you realized. At Clarion they tended to keep to themselves.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-24-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

I wonder if it's just more targeted marketing towards non-traditional students, who previously may have just gone to a local commuter school and made it work somehow.

There may indeed be more of a demand, but the schools are definitely responding to that demand, and the fact that people who may not have pursued college, or may have just stuck to an AA or trade school, are going out for bachelor's degrees, is just making it that much easier for the schools to get more "bang" for their advertising buck.

We all know that for-profit colleges prey on non-traditional students looking for a leg up, and I wouldn't be surprised if real schools are doing the same thing.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xidelt View Post
I would agree that there has been an increase of evening and weekend programs. I think one thing many people often forget is that veterans are returning in large numbers after OIF, OEF, and OND. Veterans are a subpopulation of non-traditional students. Now you have many people who served their country and have money from the Post 9/11 GI Bill along with other programs being offered by many of these military-friendly schools.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by als463 View Post
I would agree that there has been an increase of evening and weekend programs. I think one thing many people often forget is that veterans are returning in large numbers after OIF, OEF, and OND. Veterans are a subpopulation of non-traditional students. Now you have many people who served their country and have money from the Post 9/11 GI Bill along with other programs being offered by many of these military-friendly schools.
There have been large numbers of veterans returning from active service for over a decade now but they've been going to schools that are typically more accommodating (Think U of Phoenix) to them. It's my belief that public and non profit universities finally noticed how financially beneficial nontraditional students are and want a piece of the action. I do sort of feel that they have taken some cues from the for profits in how they just want you to register and pay your tuition and are not really concerned with how you do as a student. When talking with representatives from ASU and Penn State about their online programs I got more of a telemarketer vibe from them than that of an advisor.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
I wonder if it's just more targeted marketing towards non-traditional students, who previously may have just gone to a local commuter school and made it work somehow.

There may indeed be more of a demand, but the schools are definitely responding to that demand, and the fact that people who may not have pursued college, or may have just stuck to an AA or trade school, are going out for bachelor's degrees, is just making it that much easier for the schools to get more "bang" for their advertising buck.

We all know that for-profit colleges prey on non-traditional students looking for a leg up, and I wouldn't be surprised if real schools are doing the same thing.
*blows the whistle* by "real" you mean traditional?

Somewhat pulling your leg - just advocating for the respect of all schooling, as those who enroll at for-profit institutions, these schools are as "real" as college will get for where they are at in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
There have been large numbers of veterans returning from active service for over a decade now but they've been going to schools that are typically more accommodating (Think U of Phoenix) to them. It's my belief that public and non profit universities finally noticed how financially beneficial nontraditional students are and want a piece of the action. I do sort of feel that they have taken some cues from the for profits in how they just want you to register and pay your tuition and are not really concerned with how you do as a student. When talking with representatives from ASU and Penn State about their online programs I got more of a telemarketer vibe from them than that of an advisor.
Yup. #staywoke

To be fair, some students apply to online programs (which aren't always for-profit institutions, to be clear) and are NOT looking to be cared about as a student, so to speak. Think about an executive MBA student: you think they enroll in an online program to be nurtured and developed as a student? Likely not - they want their credits so they can get the credential and get promoted/make more money.

You also spoke with representatives at two somewhat reputable online programs of reputable research institutions. They aren't supposed to give you an advisor vibe. They work to sell you a program - they probably weren't as smooth about it if you got a telemarketer vibe about it.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
*blows the whistle* by "real" you mean traditional?

Yup. #staywoke

To be fair, some students apply to online programs (which aren't always for-profit institutions, to be clear) and are NOT looking to be cared about as a student, so to speak. Think about an executive MBA student: you think they enroll in an online program to be nurtured and developed as a student? Likely not - they want their credits so they can get the credential and get promoted/make more money.

You also spoke with representatives at two somewhat reputable online programs of reputable research institutions. They aren't supposed to give you an advisor vibe. They work to sell you a program - they probably weren't as smooth about it if you got a telemarketer vibe about it.
I hear you and that's actually where I fit in myself BUT isn't that what the for profits would always get criticized about? It should also be noted that a lot of nontraditional students are first time college students and there are some younger traditional aged students that are skipping the campus and going the online program route. I would think those students should have the resources and tools they need to succeed.

Last edited by PiKA2001; 03-24-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I hear you and that's actually where I fit in myself BUT isn't that what the for profits would always get criticized about? It should also be noted that a lot of nontraditional students are first time college students and there are some younger traditional aged students that are skipping the campus and going the online program route. I would think those students should have the resources and tools they need to succeed.
to the first bolded: yes, exactly that. they may be older but life experience doesnt mean they wont have the same question as your traditional 17/18 FYFT (first year full time) student.

to the second: some may not have a choice or are not "skipping." Theyre only option may be a completely online program, if they don't have the circumstances to relocate for college (either by moving on campus or closer to one), have consistent transportation to a campus, or disabilities which make being at a campus on a consistent basis difficult, even with accommodations a university is able to provide, and of course, finances. I learned from a classmate today that in Wyoming (their home state) there is only one private and one public 4-year institution. The rest are 2-year institutions, and then there's University of Phoenix.

UW is in SE Wyoming - 2ish hours from Denver. If you live in, NW Wyoming, around Yellowstone, that's a good 8.5 hour drive. If your only (financial) option is to stay in-state and you want a bachelor's degree, your best option may to take an online program, especially if it credits costs the same as in-person (or sometimes less).

I know this is one narrow example, but there are a lot of variable, and back to the original point: yes all students should have comparable student services that serves them holistically. I'm not sure if it's realistic to expect them to be identical, or to have the same impact, but still important to work towards.