GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,140
2 members and 1,138 guests
JayhawkAOII

Old 06-14-2013, 08:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Question LGBT friendly greek organizations?

I was just doing some thinking and realized that, to my knowledge, I am not aware of any openly gay/homosexual greek organizations. I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm sure some things have changed but does anyone know of any or if there are any that are specifically "leaning" that way?
Old 06-14-2013, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Gamma Rho Lambda(LBTQIQA Sorority) and Delta Lambda Phi (Fraternity), Kappa Psi Kappa(Fraternity) and Sigma Phi Beta (Fraternity) are few that are more college campus oriented.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni View Post
I was just doing some thinking and realized that, to my knowledge, I am not aware of any openly gay/homosexual greek organizations. I've been out of the loop for a while so I'm sure some things have changed but does anyone know of any or if there are any that are specifically "leaning" that way?
There are a lot these days! Probably more which are similar in style to black, Latino/a, and multicultural Greek letter organizations than NPC/NIC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...and_sororities
Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Not on the above list is Epsilon Xi Gamma for women (I know the founder). Also, people who are interested in pursuing membership in an LGBT GLO should know that some of them allow dual membership in traditional GLOs and some do not.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity joins the NIC

"The North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) is pleased to announce that Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity has joined the Conference as a member fraternity. The fraternity was approved for membership on April 11th and was formally seated at the House of Delegates on Monday, April 15th at the Annual Meeting of the NIC in St. Louis, MO.

Delta Lambda Phi (DLP) Fraternity’s addition increases the total membership of the NIC to 75 fraternities. DLP is also the first fraternity for gay, bisexual, and progressive men in the NIC."
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 AM
GreekChat Member

There are many LGBT sororities, fraternities and co-ed GLOs. While the overwhelming majority are not collegiate (and therefore have been edited from Wikipedia's listing recently), most organizations have members who are still in college and are very open to expansion. In addition, adults interested in joining fraternities or sororities will definitely find welcoming spaces (with the understanding that we're *not* re-creating the college experience 10 years too late).

Sen, do you know which organizations don't allow dual membership in non-LGBT GLOs? - I can't think of any.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAtime View Post
Do you know which organizations don't allow dual membership in non-LGBT GLOs? - I can't think of any.
Delta Lambda Phi does not allow duel membership. As I noted up thread, Delta Lambda Phi Social Fraternity joined the the North-American Interfraternity Conference (NIC) on April 11, 2013.

So as a member fraternity of the NIC, Delta Lambda Phi members may not have duel membership in any other social fraternity - be they non-LGBT or otherwise.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Word.

I can only add that the person pursuing membership in an LGBT org should ask directly. The organization I have in mind doesn't officially discriminate against social GLO members, but the members I know frown upon it so greatly that it's unlikely they would vote yes on a candidate who was in one.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I hear you, TSteven, but when I mentioned LGBT GLOs I meant those not in a council, since naturally those within a council would have to abide by the rules set forth therein. The difference between Delta Lambda Phi and some other LGBT organizations is that even though they were founded by gay men, membership is open to all men (which is what allows them to join NIC, I imagine). Of course, you can't read my mind to know that when I said LGBT GLOs what I really meant was those not in a council (since they are the exception rather than the rule). Thanks for your response.

Sen, many founders of LGBT orgs are also members of D9 sororities (I'm not so sure about the fraternities). Given the fact that most members of LGBT fraternities and sororities are post-collegiate, I actually find it shocking that any of them frown upon an adult who pledged undergrad and would now like an opportunity to experience sisterhood with lesbians and queer women (or gay & queer men). I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying I'm shocked.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

BUT, I do agree with you - anyone interested in an LGBT GLO should definitely seek out the individual organizations and interact with them since there isn't a council with set rules for everyone.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAtime View Post
Sen, many founders of LGBT orgs are also members of D9 sororities (I'm not so sure about the fraternities). Given the fact that most members of LGBT fraternities and sororities are post-collegiate, I actually find it shocking that any of them frown upon an adult who pledged undergrad and would now like an opportunity to experience sisterhood with lesbians and queer women (or gay & queer men). I'm not saying I don't believe you, I'm just saying I'm shocked.
My experience is moreso with the fraternities. Among the sororities, I only know the founder of Kappa Alpha Lambda personally.
Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Gotcha.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Beta Phi Omega Sorority, Inc. is a lesbian organization that accept ladies of all sexual orientation.

Beta Love
Mrs.Deuce2u
Old 10-25-2019, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

We have a chapter of Gamma Rho Lambda st my university. It's currently inactive but is hopefully reactivating next semester.