GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,297
1 members and 1,296 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 01-24-2020, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

New Mexico college student shot during alleged fraternity hazing incident

https://abcnews.go.com/US/mexico-col..._headlines_hed

Quote:
A New Mexico State University student has been accused of shooting a classmate in an alleged hazing incident that resulted in his fraternity's suspension.

Miguel Altamirano was charged with felony aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he allegedly shot Jonathan Sillas in the leg as he pledged the Kappa Sigma fraternity.

Altamirano could face as many as many as three years in prison if convicted as charged, but his attorney, C.J. McEllhinney, says the shooting wasn't intentional. He said the shooting happened as the students were "joking around."
Sillas, a criminal justice major, said Kappa Sigma fraternity members pulled him aside and ordered him to turn around during an initiation event. He said he was expecting to get hit with a paddle from behind, but he never imagined he'd be shot.
"Whenever I turned around, he reaches and he pulled the gun out of the backpack," Sillas said. "I wasn't like watching but I heard him click it and then I started freaking out."

@~/~~~~
Old 01-27-2020, 09:52 AM
GreekChat Member

I just... How does this even happen? How did NO ONE think pulling out a gun was a terrible idea?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:45 PM

Apparently, someone skipped out on the mandatory risk management training session. :-)

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-28-2020, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Nothing says "welcome to the brotherhood" like a gunshot wound.

True and Constant
Old 01-28-2020, 12:52 PM

The chapter has been suspended from NMSU for a minimum of 5 years.

I couldn't find a singular article, so look at the second section in the link.

https://www.kunm.org/post/navajo-law...ty-over-hazing

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 01-28-2020, 01:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
The chapter has been suspended from NMSU for a minimum of 5 years.

I couldn't find a singular article, so look at the second section in the link.

https://www.kunm.org/post/navajo-law...ty-over-hazing
This could have been so much worse.

Quote:
One fraternity member has been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and negligent use of a deadly weapon while intoxicated. He told investigators he did not know the .40 caliber handgun was loaded when he shot the other student's leg.

According to a Dec. 18 report from the dean’s office students pledging to Kappa Sigma were required to participate in loyalty oaths with guns held to their heads or other parts of their body and at times instructed to pull the triggers of the weapons.

@~/~~~~
Old 01-28-2020, 02:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
According to a Dec. 18 report from the dean’s office students pledging to Kappa Sigma were required to participate in loyalty oaths with guns held to their heads or other parts of their body and at times instructed to pull the triggers of the weapons.
If you have to hold a gun to someone's head to obtain their loyalty and oath to you, then you were not worthy to begin with.

True and Constant
Old 01-28-2020, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

A fraternity that once had a chapter at my campus was shut down several years ago and permanently banned from ever returning to the school as a result of a hazing incident. I won't call out the GLO by name, but the circumstances were as follows.

The chapter had a tradition of going out to the desert over the weekend preceding their formal initiation ceremony to have a bonfire and 'brotherhood event' of sorts. This event was traditionally attended by dozens to hundreds of people, including both active and alumni members. Being that far away from civilization with a bunch of college students and an ample supply of alcohol was perhaps not the wisest of decisions, but that's not what got them in trouble, at least not directly.

One of the actives came up with the idea of throwing gasoline on the bonfire for pyrotechnic effect...

... what could *possibly* go wrong?

The active in question discussed the idea with a roommate from what I was told; both of them agreed to carry this out.

One of them purchased the gasoline and packed it into one of the vehicles in which they were carpooling to the desert. God knows how many people saw the gasoline being packed, nobody spoke up.

They get out to the desert and in the evening light the bonfire. They line up the soon-to-be initiates (I think most of us use the term 'neophytes;' right?) along one side of the bonfire.

The original active pulls out the container of gasoline and approached the bonfire. Nobody stopped him.

The original active then opened the container and sloshed the gasoline *over* the open flames, apparently having either never studied, or willfully disregarded conservation of momentum.

The gasoline -- mid "flight" -- caught fire. The now combusting gasoline landed on the line of neophytes standing on the opposite side of the bonfire, subjecting most of them to second- and third-degree burns and requiring immediate hospitalization. Evacuating the injured was made that much more difficult because of their distance from the nearest civilization, nevermind nearest hospital.

Other than the chapter having been shutdown and permanently banned, I don't know what other fallout was involved, but I would imagine it included criminal charges, civil liability, and expulsion from school, the national fraternity, or both.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by navane View Post
If you have to hold a gun to someone's head to obtain their loyalty and oath to you, then you were not worthy to begin with.
This.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
A fraternity that once had a chapter at my campus was shut down several years ago and permanently banned from ever returning to the school as a result of a hazing incident. I won't call out the GLO by name, but the circumstances were as follows.
If the Fraternity in question is the one that shows up as the first hits for Googling the words:Fraternity gasoline and desert, then they are officially back at the school as of Fall of 2019 (about 10 years later).

I'm convinced that no *Permanent Ban* of a specific fraternity and sorority is ever truly Permanent.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
If the Fraternity in question is the one that shows up as the first hits for Googling the words:Fraternity gasoline and desert, then they are officially back at the school as of Fall of 2019 (about 10 years later).

I'm convinced that no *Permanent Ban* of a specific fraternity and sorority is ever truly Permanent.
I just looked up the list of active chapters on the university's website and the fraternity in question is not listed, so either the website is not current, or the fraternity is not on campus.

EDIT: I found the chapter's website. They did indeed return in 2019 and have seven members. I don't know whether they've been readmitted to IFC, which may explain their absence from the university's website.

Last edited by SAEalumnus; 01-29-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-30-2020, 09:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAEalumnus View Post
I just looked up the list of active chapters on the university's website and the fraternity in question is not listed, so either the website is not current, or the fraternity is not on campus.

EDIT: I found the chapter's website. They did indeed return in 2019 and have seven members. I don't know whether they've been readmitted to IFC, which may explain their absence from the university's website.
The article published in Spring 2019 indicated they were coming back on campus in Fall 2019 and were working with the school.