GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,273
0 members and 2,273 guests
No Members online

Old 09-24-2012, 06:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Years ago, I was in a wedding where the rehearsal was held two days before the wedding and the rehearsal "dinner" was subsequently held at a bar where everyone paid for their own drinks. It wasn't really a dinner, as there was no food. It was fun, but, not surprisingly, everyone was very hung over the next day. Thankfully, we all had a day to sober up before the festivities continued because the rehearsal was on a Friday and the wedding was on a Sunday. During that in between day, on Saturday, there were no planned activities. Some people were recruited to set up for the wedding. The rest of us sat around twiddling our thumbs... Until the bride decided to go AWOL.

She and the groom had gotten into a last minute squabble over table linens, and she turned off her cell phone and took off. No one, including her parents, knew where she went or if she would show up at the wedding. She didn't come home that night and we had no idea if there was even going to be a wedding.

Thankfully, she appeared on the morning of the wedding and the show went on. The ceremony was held outside on a lake and no one could hear their vows because the bride was adamant that they not be mic'd because their personal vows were "private." Even being an attendant, you couldn't hear a thing and I sort of think it was a bit disrespectful to the 100 or so people who had come from far and wide to celebrate the happy couple.

The reception wasn't awful, but the search for the runaway bride sort of put a cloud over the entire party. Oh, and then the guests were asked to come back and break down the reception the next morning...
I don't suppose she apologized or told anyone where she went. Could this have just been a touch of cold feet?

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-24-2012, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpiucf View Post
Years ago, I was in a wedding where the rehearsal was held two days before the wedding and the rehearsal "dinner" was subsequently held at a bar where everyone paid for their own drinks. It wasn't really a dinner, as there was no food. It was fun, but, not surprisingly, everyone was very hung over the next day. Thankfully, we all had a day to sober up before the festivities continued because the rehearsal was on a Friday and the wedding was on a Sunday. During that in between day, on Saturday, there were no planned activities. Some people were recruited to set up for the wedding. The rest of us sat around twiddling our thumbs... Until the bride decided to go AWOL.

She and the groom had gotten into a last minute squabble over table linens, and she turned off her cell phone and took off. No one, including her parents, knew where she went or if she would show up at the wedding. She didn't come home that night and we had no idea if there was even going to be a wedding.

Thankfully, she appeared on the morning of the wedding and the show went on. The ceremony was held outside on a lake and no one could hear their vows because the bride was adamant that they not be mic'd because their personal vows were "private." Even being an attendant, you couldn't hear a thing and I sort of think it was a bit disrespectful to the 100 or so people who had come from far and wide to celebrate the happy couple.

The reception wasn't awful, but the search for the runaway bride sort of put a cloud over the entire party. Oh, and then the guests were asked to come back and break down the reception the next morning...
My first thought after reading this:
I wonder how long it took her, as a wife, to go AWOL.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I would. When you describe something as "n_____" and "white trash," you're being racist.
This is why we need DrPhil to drop in and start detailing the definitions of racism vs prejudice. *sigh* I miss her....anyway, I think there was a lot more "prejudice" behind those words than "racism" but that is based on what I have been taught is the true meaning of racism (which would completely derail a thread about weddings so I'll refrain).

OAN I agree with naraht--I find it *almost* humorous (more like bemusing) that both terms were used in the same description. I would never call someone "white trash" nor could I get away with such a thing. But I would also never call myself or anyone else the n-word nor do I think it would be acceptable to just because I'm Black.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 09-24-2012, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christiangirl View Post
This is why we need DrPhil to drop in and start detailing the definitions of racism vs prejudice. *sigh* I miss her....anyway, I think there was a lot more "prejudice" behind those words than "racism" but that is based on what I have been taught is the true meaning of racism (which would completely derail a thread about weddings so I'll refrain).

OAN I agree with naraht--I find it *almost* humorous (more like bemusing) that both terms were used in the same description. I would never call someone "white trash" nor could I get away with such a thing. But I would also never call myself or anyone else the n-word nor do I think it would be acceptable to just because I'm Black.
I know that spiel. I still think it's just straight up racist.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

We just went to an outdoor wedding that was quote lovely and I remarked to my husband how cool the eagles circling overhead were. Mr. Biology Teacher informed me that they were buzzards. We hope that no one ever enlightens the bride.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Banned

Worst wedding ever attended? My own!!

Bg
Old 10-20-2012, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

lolz^^
Old 10-22-2012, 03:03 AM
GreekChat Member

A couple of weeks ago my husband and I attended the wedding of some friends. They rented out a facility on a beach, at night, in October. They didn't have a lot of money, so they decided to DIY...or so we thought. We knew that ahead of time, so my husband volunteered to help with grilling when they told us that was their plan. Well, we showed up an hour before the wedding - to get the lay of the land - to find none of the food preportioned, laid out or prepared. Other friends were setting up the tables, making the placecards, setting up the music/AV. We were handed a card telling us that photography would be provided by us, the guests, and on the card was a list of shots we were tasked with taking. After a lovely ceremony, which I witnessed without my husband because he was helping the non-caterers get food opened and placed in containers for the "cocktail hour," everyone was asked to go outside for a while so the room could be re-set. It was cold and raining outside. Meanwhile, my husband was still trying to help get the food going, and the two tiny grills started. He discovered there weren't enough steaks for the 100 guests, and the chicken was frozen in two square blocks. I thought they were roasts when I saw them. Another guest went and got ice for the bar since there was none; another guest went and bought salad dressing since there was none. My husband and another one of our friends were outside all night cooking the steaks and chicken while guests ate, the cake was cut, first dances happened, etc. At one point the father of the bride went outside and hollered at them for not having the chicken - which never did defrost - done and served. I eventually insisted that they come inside, chicken or not. I made my husband a plate of food and sat with him as he ate, all alone at our table. After about a half hour, the music on the iPod changed pace, slowing down and eventually ending with "Hit the Road, Jack." Then the bride got on the mic and said they appreciated everyone helping them clean up, because they had to be out of there by midnight. This was at 11:30. A lot of the guests grabbed trash bags and started cleaning up, but we took off. My husband had already missed the whole wedding...he didn't even get to see them get married!

I was pretty appalled. It's one thing to DIY...most brides these days do a lot of DIY. But it's another to ask your guests to throw the party for you, and that's what this was.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 AM
GreekChat Member

^^^I'm reminded forcefully of an acquaintance who recently "decided to throw" a barbeque. By this, she meant asking people to RSVP then, once everyone did, updated the FB invitation to say who was assigned to bring meat, who was bringing buns, who was bringing beer, etc. I thought it was bad enough to do this for a party but a wedding? Wow.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 01-29-2013, 10:52 AM
GreekChat Member

This wasn’t really the “worst wedding”, but it was memorable, in a negative way, due to poor communication between the couple and the guests. I was invited to a wedding a few years back. It was someone I’d been friends with, and she moved to another city a few hours away. The invitation stated the ceremony would be held at a church in their new city, with lunch to follow at a nearby Olive Garden.

So we drove down for the wedding, they had the ceremony, and then afterwards, there was a table set up in the lobby of the church. This was a very small church- it did not appear to have a fellowship hall or similar room, this was just in the area between the front doors and the sanctuary. There was punch and cake all sort of snacks and finger foods. I was thinking, Hmmm, this is weird to have so much food out, when we’re all going to Olive Garden, but I figured it was just to tide us over while the couple, their attendants and the families did all the photography in the sanctuary. And would we be eating the cake before going to have lunch? Okay, that’s cool, maybe Olive Garden wouldn’t allow them to bring in their own cake. After the photo session, everyone joined us in the lobby, and more snacks were eaten. At this point I was starting to suspect that the reception had been moved and this was it. Eventually I heard someone (one of the mothers?) say something to someone about how much money they were saving by not having the Olive Garden lunch. I discreetly told my date to go ahead and have more snacks, since this was our lunch. I was standing at the food table, talking to one of the other guests, and I commented on one of the food items, and asked if he’d tried them. He said “I haven’t been eating much of this, I’m saving my appetite for Olive Garden.” So I had to tell him (a total stranger, by the way), that there wasn’t going to be an Olive Garden. That was so awkward!

There’s nothing wrong with punch & snacks in the church as your reception. But if you send out invites stating one thing, and then change to something else without even telling the guests- just leaving them to figure it out themselves, that’s not cool. Even a line in the program like “The couple invites you to share punch and refreshments in the lobby after the ceremony” would have clued us in about what we’d be doing.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
This wasn’t really the “worst wedding”, but it was memorable, in a negative way, due to poor communication between the couple and the guests. I was invited to a wedding a few years back. It was someone I’d been friends with, and she moved to another city a few hours away. The invitation stated the ceremony would be held at a church in their new city, with lunch to follow at a nearby Olive Garden.

So we drove down for the wedding, they had the ceremony, and then afterwards, there was a table set up in the lobby of the church. This was a very small church- it did not appear to have a fellowship hall or similar room, this was just in the area between the front doors and the sanctuary. There was punch and cake all sort of snacks and finger foods. I was thinking, Hmmm, this is weird to have so much food out, when we’re all going to Olive Garden, but I figured it was just to tide us over while the couple, their attendants and the families did all the photography in the sanctuary. And would we be eating the cake before going to have lunch? Okay, that’s cool, maybe Olive Garden wouldn’t allow them to bring in their own cake. After the photo session, everyone joined us in the lobby, and more snacks were eaten. At this point I was starting to suspect that the reception had been moved and this was it. Eventually I heard someone (one of the mothers?) say something to someone about how much money they were saving by not having the Olive Garden lunch. I discreetly told my date to go ahead and have more snacks, since this was our lunch. I was standing at the food table, talking to one of the other guests, and I commented on one of the food items, and asked if he’d tried them. He said “I haven’t been eating much of this, I’m saving my appetite for Olive Garden.” So I had to tell him (a total stranger, by the way), that there wasn’t going to be an Olive Garden. That was so awkward!

There’s nothing wrong with punch & snacks in the church as your reception. But if you send out invites stating one thing, and then change to something else without even telling the guests- just leaving them to figure it out themselves, that’s not cool. Even a line in the program like “The couple invites you to share punch and refreshments in the lobby after the ceremony” would have clued us in about what we’d be doing.
This became "worst wedding" for me when said the reception would be at Olive Garden. Quite frankly, I think snacks and punch are more appropriate.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
This became "worst wedding" for me when said the reception would be at Olive Garden. Quite frankly, I think snacks and punch are more appropriate.
LOL, this.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
I know....I didn't want to sound too judgey. I wanted to make sure it was clear that my problem was they didn't tell people about the change. Yeah, Olive Garden wouldn't really be my choice, either, but it's their day.

I probably should have just said "a restaurant" instead of specifying Olive Garden.

Last edited by chi-o_cat; 01-29-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Haters.

http://gawker.com/5891587/grand-fork...arilyn-hagerty
Old 01-29-2013, 11:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I remember reading the full review when it first started going viral. DYING!