GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 785
3 members and 782 guests
LarryByday

Old 10-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Congratulations to the following groups on chartering this past weekend:

Phi Delta Theta- Nova Southeastern University(FL)

Phi Gamma Delta- Wayne State University(OH)

Theta Xi- Purdue University(IN)

Phi Delta Theta will soon begin colonization efforts at the University of Chicago(IL), the University of Texas-El Paso, and East Tennessee State University. Best wishes in these efforts.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)

Last edited by LaneSig; 10-31-2018 at 12:17 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-31-2018, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to flirt5721
Theta Chi was installed this past weekend at New Mexico State. The have 14 brothers

"The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword"
Land of Entrapment has me again
Old 10-31-2018, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Congratulations to the following groups on chartering this past weekend:

Phi Delta Theta- Nova Southeastern University(FL)

Phi Gamma Delta- Wayne State University(OH)

Theta Xi- Purdue University(IN)

Phi Delta Theta will soon begin colonization efforts at the University of Chicago(IL), the University of Texas-El Paso, and East Tennessee State University. Best wishes in these efforts.
Wayne State is in Michigan...or is it maybe Wright State in Ohio?

I could also ask my son where FIJI just colonized , but I think either the name or the state is a mismatch. Either way, congratulations to all the brothers in these new chapters!
Old 10-31-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Wayne State is in Michigan...or is it maybe Wright State in Ohio?

I could also ask my son where FIJI just colonized , but I think either the name or the state is a mismatch. Either way, congratulations to all the brothers in these new chapters!
It is Wayne State, and you are correct. I combined both WSUs and made a mistake.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 11-01-2018, 11:09 AM

Congratulations to Alpha Epsilon Pi on their recent charter at Illinois State University.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Per Gamma Phi Beta 10/29/18 FB post, they are colonizing at the University of Kentucky in Fall 2019.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:08 AM

Congratulations to Pi Kappa Phi on their recent charter at Grand Valley State University(MI).

Old 11-02-2018, 10:51 AM
GreekChat Member

Kappa Alpha Theta is closing its chapter at Ole Miss, according to the Daily Mississippian, the school newspaper. The article below quotes an email from Theta's national president.

http://thedmonline.com/theta-leaving-campus
Old 11-02-2018, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Thank you LXA SE285 for sharing the news article which contains facts and direct quotes from internal communications (but when you send an email, all bets are off - right?). If people read the article they'll get a glimpse of what the Epsilon Zeta chapter has been up against for a very long time. Extensive fraternity support has not made a significant difference there, for reasons beyond anyone's control. This is a complex and complicated situation. Theta is not the first to pull a charter for low membership, but it certainly wasn't for lack of trying to change outcomes. Anyone who knows anything about the Greek culture of Ole Miss isn't surprised at this closure.

Chapter closures are always painful and this one especially stings, not only for Kappa Alpha Theta, but for the Panhellenic community at Ole Miss. Other NPC sororities are going to look long and hard at this closure before submitting for extension.

The dogs bark, but the caravan moves on. Everything happens for a purpose and a reason. blah blah blah.
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 11-02-2018, 01:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I really wonder how much the variable quota affected the chapter.
All the chapter sizes are quite large with pledge classes in the hundreds, so UM does really need the additional chapter, so this is a concerning loss.
Old 11-02-2018, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

It is so sad when a chapter closes for low membership when the overall numbers on that campus are high. This just shows how much the PNMs listen to "tent talk". I hope Thetas re-install their chapter in 5 years, but the culture at Ole Miss is not very welcoming.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Theta--Ole Miss

It is all very sad in my opinion. My Panhellenic heart is sad. I'm sad for the women who are new members who have to decide if they want to be initiated or not now. I'm sad for the initiated sisters. I really think Theta could have made it at Ole Miss. I understand their Exec. Boards concerns. I know this was not something they just thought of doing last week. I almost hope Ole Miss Panhellenic extends them some sort of opportunity to return in 5 years. I too have wondered if variable quota hurt them. Also, the constant renovations and new additions to current chapter houses has been continuous. So just when you can keep up with the Joneses they refinance and renovate. You know how that old saying goes.

But I'm sad for the alumnae of EZ and the current collegiate members. My daughters would be Theta legacies too one day. I hope they return.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:00 PM

At least they will have some time to just enjoy their sisterhood and living together without the constant COBing and recruiting.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Until the culture at Ole Miss changes (and can that really happen?) new groups will be vulnerable.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

As an alumna of the Theta chapter at Ole Miss, my heart is broken for myself and my sisters. The atmosphere among sororities AND fraternities at Ole Miss is nothing short of toxic. The tier system there is absolutely carved in stone and if you aren't on top, you are crapped on. The constant bullying and belittlement of Thetas on this campus has been unbelievable. Those women are incredibly strong to have risen above it for so long. No one at Ole Miss even knows what happened or remembers why Thetas became "that" house.

Frankly, I hope that Theta never returns to Ole Miss. The system there will not change just because they beat us down. This is the school where NPC nationals had to come in and hold a meeting of all sorority members to talk to them about how badly they all behaved toward one another just a few short years ago. Ever hear of that being done? The Greeks had to be instructed to be CIVIL to each other.

It didn't work.