GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator

Old 11-24-2013, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

underground/unrecognized fraternities

How prevalent is this situation? I know that several of the SUNY campi seem to have a number of them, and I remember reading on GC about some PA schools having them. Does anyone out there know of any?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgreekalum View Post
How prevalent is this situation? I know that several of the SUNY campi seem to have a number of them, and I remember reading on GC about some PA schools having them. Does anyone out there know of any?
There's a whole list of them at the University of Maryland website: http://greek.umd.edu/councils-and-gr...gnized-groups/ A kid I know joined "Pi Kappa Alpha" and I've seen him wearing their letters, but he's not an official member of the group, right? Like he wouldn't be on the national roll?

Other than that I know of a couple of closed sororities that have continued to function underground at various campi...not sure if it would okay for me to name names since there doesn't seem to be an official statement about them online. If it is then I don't mind.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:43 PM
GreekChat Member

My campus in PA has both "underground fraternities" which are pretty much organizations that were kicked off campus but have maintained a presence and still have a yearly (although small) pledge class as well as "underground brothers" at the "real" fraternities who are not officially allowed to join because of grades or disciplinary reasons but are considered brothers by everyone in the chapter. Can't wear letters or live in the house. I know of three underground fraternities here.
Old 11-24-2013, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
There's a whole list of them at the University of Maryland website: http://greek.umd.edu/councils-and-gr...gnized-groups/

California State University San Marcos also posted an advisory on their Greek Life website:

http://www.csusm.edu/sll/greek/communitynoticereTKE.pdf

True and Constant
Old 11-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

TKE did that for awhile at my undergrad (being unrecognized but keeping the chapter open).
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 11-25-2013, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

I think the situation can vary. Sometimes the university does not recognize the chapter, but the national organization does. This is usually because of a dispute between the parties and likely the GLO not removing their charter as the university sees fit.

There are also probably instances of both the university and the national organization not recognizing the group, but they continue to try to exist.

Regardless, most groups that try to pull this off end up dying off quickly or see a slow withering away.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

There are some organizations that have 'city-wide' or community chapters that the National recognizes as bonafide chapters of their organization, but are operated independently of (or do not require) recognition from a college or university.

I am in one of these. There are also a few organizations in operation in my area that also fall into this category.

Old 11-26-2013, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

IU has/had several of these--ATO went underground when they were kicked off campus, AEPi went underground as the "Apes" when they were kicked off campus, and I believe ZBT is currently underground. None of them are recognized by their nationals, either
Old 11-26-2013, 12:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Chi is no longer recognized by UNL but operates as a real chapter of the fraternity. They continue to live in their on campus house and recruit though. I believe freshman are not allowed to live in because the house is not university approved housing and all freshmen are required to live in university approved housing. They are not included in events through Greek Affairs such as recruitment, Greek Week, and Homecoming.
Old 11-26-2013, 12:52 PM
GreekChat Member

At my previous school there's an underground chapter that calls themselves Epsilon Iota which I just learned last night that they were apart of ATO before getting their charter removed

Old 11-26-2013, 08:15 PM

Underground GLOs are not recognized by the school OR their nationals. They are basically outlaws in every sense of the word.

Unrecognized GLOs are simply not recognized by the school, can't meet on school property, post bulletins in school buildings etc. For whatever reason (and it's often pretty lame) the school won't recognize that they exist, but they are totally in good standing with their national group. There are also unrecognized local GLOs that haven't done anything wrong, the school may just not want to acknowledge they exist.

The two terms are NOT interchangeable.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
IU has/had several of these--ATO went underground when they were kicked off campus, AEPi went underground as the "Apes" when they were kicked off campus, and I believe ZBT is currently underground. None of them are recognized by their nationals, either
ZBT is back and recognized, but I have heard that the gentlemen who were no longer welcome do have an underground group. APES are still going strong and get sororities to pair with them on weekends for parties even though there is an active AEPi chapter that is recognized. The APES are no longer made up of gentlemen who were relieved of their AEPi membership, they are guys who were recruited and are well aware they are not recognized by the university. Unfortunately, the underground sub culture seems to be doing well there.
Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Super Moderator

CAL's (UC Berkeley) list of recognized groups. The unrecognized are listed at the bottom but here is the list:
http://lead.berkeley.edu/greek/recognized_chapters
PLEASE NOTE: THE FOLLOWING GROUPS ARE NOT RECOGNIZED BY THE UNIVERSITY AND ARE NOT SUBJECT TO OVERSIGHT BY UNIVERSITY STAFF.

Some of these groups (indicated by **) are known to still undertake recruitment/rush/intake. Students are counseled against joining these groups:

Phi Sigma Kappa Fraternity
Sigma Alpha Epsilon** 2722 Bancroft Way Fraternity
Sigma Phi** 2307 Piedmont Ave Fraternity
Theta Phi Psi Sorority
Theta Xi 2639 Durant Ave Fraternity
Zeta Psi** 2728 Bancroft Way Fraternity
Alpha Beta Zeta Sorority
alpha Kappa Delta Phi 2424 Warring St Sorority
Alpha Xi Omega** Fraternity
Beta Theta Pi 2728 Channing Way Fraternity
Delta Kappa Epsilon** 2302 Piedmont Ave Fraternity
Lambda Sigma Gamma Sorority