GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,275
2 members and 2,273 guests
PrettyBoy

Old 11-01-2002, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Recruitment Counselor cover up

OK... so here's the deal.. I was at our Panhelenic meeting the other night, and we have been trying to go through our rush rules and change/delete some of them that just aren't necessary anymore... for example we got rid of this one rule that said only 10 baloons were allowed at each chapter's table during our initial open house/ orientation meeting because we used to use a smaller room that wouldnt' fit that many balloons.. but now we use a huge hall that fits as many balloons as we want that kind of rule...
BUT for some reason we also voted on the rule that Recrmnt. Cnslrs. must be covered in all pictures and slides shown during rush. My chapter voted to keep the rule for obvious reasons... but we were outvoted by the other two chapters on campus.
I guess my question is basically... are we even allowed to do this? I mean I know each campus is allowed to make certain rules that help for their particular campus, but we still all have to make those rules in accordance with the green book rules... so I guess my question is aren't there rules about disaffiliation in the green book ?? I mean this seems like the VERY essence of rush is being kidna broken here if we get rid of the "cover up the rho Chi" rule I mean what's the use in disaffiliating, I.E. not being able to talk to you sisters, wear letters, etc... if you aren't going to do EVERYTHING possible to maintain that distance between the Cnslrs. and their chapters so the PNMs have that "impartial" person to talk to ? any thoughts ??
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-01-2002, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Although the NPC Book does not specifically state that pictures, etc. need to be hidden, it does say that Recruitment Counselors are to disassociate themselves from their chapter's membership recruitment activities. By keeping a Recruitment Counselor's photograph in a display or on a web site, this would directly contradict the disassociation clause.

Please contact your NPC Collegiate Panhellenic Advisor for additional clarification on this point. You can determine who your advisor is by going to the NPC site at http://www.npcwomen.org.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 11-01-2002, 02:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Glitter, I pm'ed you.

I am very surprised to read about this! Assuming that there aren't any other compelling reasons to go this route--like alumnae serving as rho-chis or something like that-- not covering up the rho-chis just isn't kosher to me.

I'm also surprised, because if the Panhellenic Advisor is still the person that was there the last time I visited SF State....she is a very by-the-book kind of a person. I can't imagine her allowing a vote like this to go through!

Could you give us some more details?
Old 11-01-2002, 02:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Well although there is TECHNICALLY a new panhelenic advisor... the lady you're thinking of still comes to all of the panhelenic meetings and helps out... our school always tries to get alums to come be Rho Chis...but it usually works out that there are some actives that have to do it because alums can't generally come every night of rush...
Old 11-01-2002, 03:06 PM
GreekChat Member

I tried to PM you again, but your mailbox is full! I have a few more questions I'd like to ask.
Old 11-01-2002, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ladyj39
???

Glitter-

Are the chapters still required to cover up the active undergrad members who are disaffiliating for recruitment? What was the reasoning behind not covering up the faces? I agree that it is necessary to do so the PNMs have an impartial opinion of the sororities. You can PM me if you want.

Greeklawgirl-

I loved Jean! Glad to hear she is still around.
Old 11-03-2002, 12:31 AM
GreekChat Member

The only reasons I heard for keeping the rule was that it's hard to cover up the faces in Slides.. but if that was the case we should've found a way to re-word the rule so slides wouldn't be included... or something not just eliminated the rule completely... we usually end up with a mixture of alums and actives as Counselors.. and as it stands now NO pics would have to be covered up... so alum or active if there pics are out... they are out no cover needed.... this was a vote at a regular panhel meeting.. both Jean and the new panhelenic Pres. (who is alum from my chapter) were present. I'm not quite sure why we were even allowed to vote to change this rule... but we were and although I know the Panhel. Pres (don't know about Jean) doesn't think the should've been changed she was just the vote counter and has to enforce the majority... (both other chapters wanted to delete the cover up rule so...)
Old 11-03-2002, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb How to cover up slides. . .

Just to help everyone out for the next formal recruitment. . .
If you want to cover up faces in slides, you need a "white out pen" (You can use the bottled white out if you are a talented painter!).
On the back of the slide in question, "white out" the face you want covered. Since the light from the projector cannot shine through the white out(make sure it's thick enough), it shows up as a black dot. The drawback to this method is that you essentially ruin the slide (I've never tried to scrape the white out off), but if you plan ahead you can have a duplicate made. I did this to several slides of "group shots" for our recruitment one year.

As far as not covering RC pictures, to me that goes against the spirit of the rule, thereby going against the Panhellenic spirit as well.
Old 11-04-2002, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Here's what I used to do...

I was VP Recruitment and a Panhell Officer, so I got to make sure chapters covered up all the faces in both photos and slides. For slides, get a non-permanent marker (like the dry-erase ones) and cover up the face. After rush is over, just wipe it off!

Is there any chance the vote can be re-voted? It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me...
Old 11-06-2002, 02:47 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't know what the chances of a re-vote are since we're the only ones who would want it and we were out-voted before..I think the only way to reverse it would to be to have the Panhelenic advisor to kinda make administrative decision to "over rule" the vote or something or... I don't know... I mean we don't want to just look like whiny sore losers trying to get our way... but... it seems at least two alumnae from the chapters at my school seem to agree that this over turning of the rule goes against the who spirit of rush.. so there must be something we can do...
Old 11-06-2002, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Glitter,

You can appeal the vote. Ask for a re-vote, and give the reasons exactly WHY Panhellenic needs to rethink it. Tell them how they can cover up the Rho-Chis on the slides like J. wrote above.

See what happens, but then you can always go up the ladder. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Let us know what happens.

(PS: Just because *my* chapter voted to do this, doesn't mean that its the right thing to do. I don't think this is in the Panhellenic spirit, and sometimes its more important to think in terms of the *big picture* instead of of *my chapter, right or wrong.* Good luck!)
Old 11-06-2002, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

ladyj. . .

Well DUH to me. . .I never thought about dry erase markers on the slides *whacks self upside the head* (and I love dry erase markers!)

Guess I need to pass this idea along to other chapters!!

Thank you!!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by greeklawgirl
Glitter,

You can appeal the vote. Ask for a re-vote, and give the reasons exactly WHY Panhellenic needs to rethink it. Tell them how they can cover up the Rho-Chis on the slides like J. wrote above.

See what happens, but then you can always go up the ladder. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Let us know what happens.

(PS: Just because *my* chapter voted to do this, doesn't mean that its the right thing to do. I don't think this is in the Panhellenic spirit, and sometimes its more important to think in terms of the *big picture* instead of of *my chapter, right or wrong.* Good luck!)
I agree 100%!!!

M- Too bad you're in Southern CA, because we could take over a Panhellenic meeting and talk some sense into our delegates!!

Glitter- There can't be that many more meetings this semester, so suggest a re-vote ASAP! For the life of me, I cannot comprehend why this was even voted on! I need to talk to some undergrads....

Good luck!!

PsychTau- That info was passed on to me by a very wise alum! It's great advice! Please pass it along!
Old 11-14-2002, 09:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Glitter - I don't know when this was orginally posted, but I hope you contacted your NPC delegate to talk about this.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:00 PM
GreekChat Member

It was posted about two weeks ago... we had a panhel. meeting yesterday, and I am pretty close with our delegate and right now my chapter has the office of secretary. I told them both to bring it up at the meeting and see if they were willing to re-visit the issue, but I haven't heard what happened at the meeting last night. Lady J. If you would like to come to the next panhel. meeting... or call Jean and let her know that you, as an alumni feel this decision is probably not the best one to make for all chapters involved that would be great because as I said before as of now I feel like it just looks kinda like we're whining because we didn't get our way...