GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 1,469
1 members and 1,468 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

SPRING RUSH AT ALABAMA??

Does anyone know if the University of Alabama participates in a Spring Rush? Do all of the sororities participate? Does AOII participate?

Thank you
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Spring recruitment would depend on how many of the chapters were not at total after fall recruitment. Be aware that at a school like Bama, there may be chapters that are under total but choose not to do spring recruitment for whatever reason. The Bama Greek Life office would be your best source of info (even though I don't think they'd have that info until spring).

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 09-11-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Only chapters that are below campus total would participate in Spring Recruitment. Until the list of returning members is created in January, there's no way of knowing who, if anyone, would be holding spring COB events. I think all houses are currently at or over total right now.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII BAMA MOM View Post
Does anyone know if the University of Alabama participates in a Spring Rush? Do all of the sororities participate? Does AOII participate?

Thank you
Campus total is 180 and the AOII chapter currently has 222 members, so they wouldn't be participating in Spring rush.
Old 09-11-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama has never, to my knowledge, done a campus-wide spring rush. A few groups may be doing Continuous Open Bidding at that time, but you would have to check in the Panhellenic office for info around the middle of January.

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 09-11-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama does a very informal spring recruitment. It's basically a meet and greet at the Ferg (student union). Spring recruitment is NOTHING like Fall. Like others said, only those chapters under house total are allowed to participate. Last year 4 or 5 chapters participated and roughly 70 girls registered. I think about 30 bids or so were distributed. The year before last only 2 chapters participated and no girls recieved bids. It just varies on how many chapters are allowed to take girls and how many girls are interested.

The big difference maker last year was the bump in house total. House total is now 180, the year before it was 140 and the year before that 125. I doubt house total will go up this year because that only hurts the chapters below total because they can't catch up. Also, with extension in the near future for UA as many chapters as possible need to be at total.

I would suggest that your daughter (I'm assuming your daughter is looking at recruitment) wait until fall to participate just so she has the most options. With the possible addition of 2 (maybe) chapters and the current 15 NPC houses on campus, your daughter will surely find her place. But if she is just dying to join a house now, encourage her to attend COR events with chapters that are currently under total so that she can get a real sense of the chapter since the Spring "meet and greet" recruitment process can leave something to be desired in the way of meeting and learning about the women of a chapter.

Last edited by bamagirl09; 09-11-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamagirl09 View Post
Alabama does a very informal spring recruitment. It's basically a meet and greet at the Ferg (student union). Spring recruitment is NOTHING like Fall. Like others said, only those chapters under house total are allowed to participate. Last year 4 or 5 chapters participated and roughly 70 girls registered. I think about 30 bids or so were distributed. The year before last only 2 chapters participated and no girls recieved bids. It just varies on how many chapters are allowed to take girls and how many girls are interested.

The big difference maker last year was the bump in house total. House total is now 180, the year before it was 140 and the year before that 125. I doubt house total will go up this year because that only hurts the chapters below total because they can't catch up. Also, with extension in the near future for UA as many chapters as possible need to be at total.

I would suggest that your daughter (I'm assuming your daughter is looking at recruitment) wait until fall to participate just so she has the most options. With the possible addition of 2 (maybe) chapters and the current 15 NPC houses on campus, your daughter will surely find her place. But if she is just dying to join a house now, encourage her to attend COR events with chapters that are currently under total so that she can get a real sense of the chapter since the Spring "meet and greet" recruitment process can leave something to be desired in the way of meeting and learning about the women of a chapter.
Thank you for all of the info. My daughter is already an AOII (ergo my name AOII BAMA MOM : ) ) I was a Tri Delta at the University of Georgia and back in my day--all sororities participated in what was called a winter rush and began in January--of course the numbers were smaller back then. Anyway my daughter has a friend that lives in her dorm who dropped out during Fall rush. This girl wants to be an AOII badly....but it sounds like AOII with a house total of over 200 would not be allowed to participate. I will recommend that her friend wait until next Fall when she is a sophomore. Thank you for your help. Have you ever heard of a sorority offering a bid to someone even though they filled their quota?
Old 09-12-2007, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Have you ever heard of a sorority offering a bid to someone even though they filled their quota?
The only way they could offer a bid if they filled quota is if filling quota still didn't put them at campus total, and that isn't the case here.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thank you for all of the info. My daughter is already an AOII (ergo my name AOII BAMA MOM : ) ) I was a Tri Delta at the University of Georgia and back in my day--all sororities participated in what was called a winter rush and began in January--of course the numbers were smaller back then. Anyway my daughter has a friend that lives in her dorm who dropped out during Fall rush. This girl wants to be an AOII badly....but it sounds like AOII with a house total of over 200 would not be allowed to participate. I will recommend that her friend wait until next Fall when she is a sophomore. Thank you for your help. Have you ever heard of a sorority offering a bid to someone even though they filled their quota?
NO. A sorority CANNOT offer bids after they've met quota and total.

Here's the thing....
I was OK with ignoring the Helicopter parents...I'm a parent myself, I can sympathize a little...but you're now helicoptering YOUR DAUGHTER'S FRIEND??? WHAT.THE.EFF.???

The questions you asked us should have been asked BY YOUR DAUGHTER to her sorority's MEMBERSHIP CHAIR...not by YOU on GREEKCHAT.

By the way... you WERE a Tri Delta??? Did you turn in your pin?

ETA: I realize I was harsh, and I'm sorry...but AOII BAMA MOM, have you not read ANYTHING else on here? The boards have not been favorable this year to moms who are spoon feeding their daughters and living vicariously.

Last edited by AlphaFrog; 09-12-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, great.

First I find that I cannot change my user name.

Then someone comes along and pokes a hole in my fragile little dam.

Damn.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter1 View Post
Oh, great.

First I find that I cannot change my user name.

Then someone comes along and pokes a hole in my fragile little dam.

Damn.
You can PM John (username: John) and he can change it for you. Just tell him what you want it to be.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you, Yoda.

Be flattered--that's usually reserved for my tennis pro--He's smart AND hot.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:44 PM
GreekChat Member

[quote=AOII BAMA MOM;1517722]
I was a Tri Delta at the University of Georgia and back in my day--quote]
Well, she's certainly not a Tri-Delt at Georgia now. Relax.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
NO. A sorority CANNOT offer bids after they've met quota and total.

Here's the thing....
I was OK with ignoring the Helicopter parents...I'm a parent myself, I can sympathize a little...but you're now helicoptering YOUR DAUGHTER'S FRIEND??? WHAT.THE.EFF.???

The questions you asked us should have been asked BY YOUR DAUGHTER to her sorority's MEMBERSHIP CHAIR...not by YOU on GREEKCHAT.

By the way... you WERE a Tri Delta??? Did you turn in your pin?

ETA: I realize I was harsh, and I'm sorry...but AOII BAMA MOM, have you not read ANYTHING else on here? The boards have not been favorable this year to moms who are spoon feeding their daughters and living vicariously.
SOOOooo, like if she were just a random somebody with no kid in a sorority she could ask this question and you would be OK with it? Sheesh! Give us a break!

I am of the opinion that anybody ought to be able to ask an innocent question around here and not find feet in their throats!

Last edited by SECMom; 09-12-2007 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECMom View Post
SOOOooo, like if she were just a random somebody with no kid in a sorority she could ask this question and you would be OK with it? Sheesh! Give us a break!

I am of the opinion that anybody ought to be able to ask an innocent question around here and not find feet in their throats!
I'm pretty sure she wouldn't be asking this question if she didn't have a kid in a sorority so your hypothetical is entirely irrelevant.
As for your opinion-sorry, GC is not happy ponies and rainbows land. People here are snarky (sometimes unnecessarily, I'll grant you that) and I like the sass. It keeps me interested and makes me laugh. What an innocent question is to you isn't always to other people.

And Jesus speaketh, "do unto others as they did unto you because the bitches deserve it".

Closed Thread