GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Delta > Delta Sigma Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,530
0 members and 2,530 guests
No Members online

Old 11-10-2002, 07:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have seen the light!

Quote:
Originally posted by NOWorNEVER

Oh ok, I didn't know that. I wasn't talking about an actual wave texturizer or jheri but something like Aveda's Be curly. Please let me know, will something like that also alter my natural curl pattern? I just want something to define the natural curls and make it look wet/shiny. Any suggestions on a product that will do this temporarily w/o chemicals?
Hi Now or Never, honestly getting that 'wet and shiny' look naturally is totally dependent on your hair texture. I want you to take a look at my hair album www.picturetrail.com/kristik My hair has about 3 completely different textures on it curly, coily, and super coily. Just try washing it, do not towel dry it, add your conditioning products(I would suggest a dab of carrot creme, a dime amount of wildgrowth oil, and a bit of gel) and shake out excess water, do not touch the hair anymore. Post your results
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-10-2002, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I luv me some Wild Growth

ok, I am not a "natural sista" but just had to chime in on the product Wild Growth. That is the BEST hair oil I have ever used!! It is really good for ALL hair types and styles.

Ok, the relaxed sista is leaving now......
Old 11-12-2002, 02:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Nappy_in_NJ
Lightbulb Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: I have seen the light!

Quote:
Originally posted by Krisco

Hi Now or Never, honestly getting that 'wet and shiny' look naturally is totally dependent on your hair texture.
THIS IS SO TRUE!!!!!!

My awakening came when I thought the Kemioyl Pomade would give me soft and shiny curls. I had read an excellent review with pics from a woman with 4a hair. I have 4b hair. I was new to the natural thang so I'm thinking "what's the big difference?" Well, I followed the directions to the word but ended up with greasy hair that smelled like grape soda. I did experience a little softness but my hair looked nothing like her's.

The best you can do is find out if you hair is actually curly (i.e. circular) Mine is more like zig zags. If your hair is curly than products like the ones you mentioned will be fine to bring them out.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Re: Good Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by skeeliteful
I'm in the process of growing out my relaxer. Right now I'm wearing braids until I have enough natural hair to cut the relaxed ends of my hair. My last perm was in March. So for those of you who took time to grow out your relaxers, what steps did you take? Do you suggest that I just take the plunge and cut it all off?

Another book that I suggest is Good Hair: For Colored Girls Who've Considered Weaves When the Chemicals Became Too Ruff by Lonnice Bonner. It gives suggestions on hair styles, products, tools, etc.
Okay...so I'm STILL sporting braids. I've decided to take the chop in mid-december (only because I'm in a wedding and I have to wear my hair down ) My concern right now is how my boss will take this drastic change in my appearance. Family and friends are cool with it but I'm an admissions recruiter for large university, and my appearance is really important. Any suggestions, advice, and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

striving to be nappy AND happy
Old 11-13-2002, 12:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FeeFee
Re: Re: Good Topic

Quote:
Originally posted by skeeliteful

Okay...so I'm STILL sporting braids. I've decided to take the chop in mid-december (only because I'm in a wedding and I have to wear my hair down ) My concern right now is how my boss will take this drastic change in my appearance. Family and friends are cool with it but I'm an admissions recruiter for large university, and my appearance is really important. Any suggestions, advice, and words of encouragement are greatly appreciated.

striving to be nappy AND happy
I don't think that your new chop should make a difference as far as your job is concerned. Just remember, you will be recruiting all kinds of people for the university. It doesn't sound like you are gonna do something live having your hair in three or four different colors at the same time. Go 'head and do your thang!!!
Old 11-15-2002, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to yasava
Question

Does anyone know of any transitional hairstyles that can survive a good workout at the gym? I just took my braids out and had my hair styled. By Monday morning, my style was gone. I want to give my hair some time to breathe before braiding it again, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Some good transitional styles are:

Twist extensions--just make sure that whomever does them for you, know what they are doing

Cornrows--just make sure your braider doesn't deplete you harline by braiding to tightly, firm but not tight is the way to go

Skeelightful, your hair should be fine and acceptable as long as its neat and conservative, I'm thinking a twa would be great on you.
Old 12-07-2002, 08:20 PM
GreekChat Member

not totally natural, bit I'm on my way

Last night (just about 25 hours ago ) I went into the the shop with a style like Halle Berry's in Strictly Business & walked out and hour later with a super-short do al la Jada Pinkett-Smith. My last full out, bone straight relaxer was early October. I was going to wait & do the braids/cornrows thing until it grew out some more, but I'm impatient and I like short hair.

I got a texturizer. After she cut my hair to about 1 inch, my beautician (who tried to talk me out of it by the way lol) combed some perm through my hair w/o putting any on my scalp, left it on for 5 maybe 10 minutes, washed it out, put some leave-in conditioner & pommade on it & that was it. Y'all, it's CUTE and it's soft and I love it!! I was all night & couldn't stop playing in it. And I love that I can let it air dry & not have it look like a frizzy, dry mess. I just rub some pommade through it and go!

Last edited by 12dn94dst; 12-08-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 12-07-2002, 10:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to divaemeritus
Re: not totally natural, bit I'm on my way

Quote:
Originally posted by 12dn94dst
Last night (just about 25 hours ago ) I went into the the shop with a style like Halle Berry's in [i]Strictly Business[i] & walked out and hour later with a super-short do al la Jada Pinkett-Smith. My last full out, bone straight relaxer was early October. I was going to wait & do the braids/cornrows thing until it grew out some more, but I'm impatient and I like short hair.

I got a texturizer. After she cut my hair to about 1 inch, my beautician (who tried to talk me out of it by the way lol) combed some perm through my hair w/o putting any on my scalp, left it on for 5 maybe 10 minutes, washed it out, put some leave-in conditioner & pommade on it & that was it. Y'all, it's CUTE and it's soft and I love it!! I was all night & couldn't stop playing in it. And I love that I can let it air dry & not have it look like a frizzy, dry mess. I just rub some pommade through it and go!
Congrats Kelli! About 2 hours ago, I went and got my hair cut to about an inch long as well. I had my last relaxer the last week in october, so the length I have now has a nice wave pattern to it (really close to my natural pattern).

Right now, I have my Dark and Lovely Golden Bronze sitting in it. I used that color when I went natural before, and it was great with my skin tone.

I'll be buying more hats tomorrow!
Old 12-10-2002, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Awwwww, you go girl! I am sure that it looks FANTASTIC on you. Good Luck!

Quote:
Last night (just about 25 hours ago ) I went into the the shop with a style like Halle Berry's in Strictly Business & walked out and hour later with a super-short do al la Jada Pinkett-Smith. My last full out, bone straight relaxer was early October. I was going to wait & do the braids/cornrows thing until it grew out some more, but I'm impatient and I like short hair.

Old 12-11-2002, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

Go Kel!!! Let us know how things progress!

Yall!! I FINALLY got some afro puffs!!! I rocked rough and tough with my afro puffs last Friday! And I was SHOCKED when I took them out and my hair was STRAIGHT in the front!!! I was like !! And I can get a cute puff on top of my head, too!! I feel as though I have arrived!

I STILL haven't gotten twists or anything. I enjoy my hair being out too much. I'm gonna get some though. I'll keep yall posted.

Yasava and Soror Skeeliteful, how's it goin'? Soror, is this your week to chop?

Also... because I don't really have the time to scroll thru message boards on napptural.com, tell me how to melt the shea butter and what to do with it once I've melted it? I'm gonna wash my hair sometime this week and I want to try this in my hair.

And, lol, when yall get 2-strand twists, how long do they last before they start lookin' crazy? And how long can you wear the twist-out after you take them out?
Old 12-11-2002, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to skeeliteful Send a message via Yahoo to skeeliteful
Soror, I am in the process of taking these microbraids out right now! I've had it with them. I can't wait to chop next week!

Congrats on the afro puffs! For the shea butter, after it melts in just massage it into your hair and style. 2 strands last about a week or 2...depending on the texture of your hair.
Old 12-15-2002, 03:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Almost there

Quote:
Originally posted by divaemeritus
About 2 hours ago, I went and got my hair cut to about an inch long as well.
I'm right behind y'all! I'm chopping in ONE WEEK. I'm excited, scared, nervous, and anxious all at the same time. I'm going to see the real me...big head, naps, and all! I decided to go ahead and get it out of the way as soon as possible so I won't have a chance to chicken out and go get another relaxer. My last touch up was Sept. 28th, so I'll be just shy of 3 months. What I'm NOT looking forward to is lil' smart ass comments from my family but that's a whole 'nother story. I'll catch my fellow nappies on Nappturality under the same screenname!

Last edited by NOWorNEVER; 12-15-2002 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-15-2002, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Nappy_in_NJ
Re: Almost there

Quote:

I'm right behind y'all! I'm chopping in ONE WEEK. I'm excited, scared, nervous, and anxious all at the same time. I'm going to see the real me...big head, naps, and all! I decided to go ahead and get it out of the way as soon as possible so I won't have a chance to chicken out and go get another relaxer. My last touch up was Sept. 28th, so I'll be just shy of 3 months. What I'm NOT looking forward to is lil' smart ass comments from my family but that's a whole 'nother story.
What style are you planning to get after the big chop? Will you rock the ever popular twa? I got comb twists after my chop because I was not quite ready to see the 'fro yet. I loved them and it helped me stay on my path. As I type I am wearing a 2-3 inch 'fro in all its glory.
Quote:

I'll catch my fellow nappies on Nappturality under the same screenname!
See you there....My screenname is newlynatural although I don't post much.
Old 12-15-2002, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: Re: Almost there

Quote:
Originally posted by Nappy_in_NJ

What style are you planning to get after the big chop? Will you rock the ever popular twa? I got comb twists after my chop because I was not quite ready to see the 'fro yet. I loved them and it helped me stay on my path. As I type I am wearing a 2-3 inch 'fro in all its glory.
Ya know...I don't even know myself. I have to see how it looks first. I don't even know whether I want my beautician to just cut out the relaxer even all around or if I want her to taper the sides and back. Any suggestions? My friend rocked the curly fro and it was cute but for some variety, I might get some comb twists. Plus its cold outside too, so I plan on wearing some wraps as well.