GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Dating & Relationships

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,042
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, prettyandpearls
» Online Users: 1,673
1 members and 1,672 guests
indygphib

Old 12-08-2003, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: having a sit sit while lusting after Olympic swimmers
Dinner/Movie Alone

This is coming from a threat in Entertainment...

Does anyone here every go to the movies or out to dinner alone? Things that are typically done with others. Do you feel wierd about it? or is it pretty natural to you?

I have done both. Sometimes i just don't want to wait until everyone else can go see a movie, so i just go by myself when I want to go. Once in awhile I like to treat myself to a nice dinner. little quality time with yours truly never hurt me I love people watching, so i'll go to a nice returant, order a glass of wine, nice dinner and just relax. My BF thinks i'm a totaly wierdo that I don't want him to come with, but it's nice to do it by myself every once in awhile!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
I go to the movies alone all the time. It is an anti-social event, so I don't get why some people feel compelled to bring someone. Even you go with 30 of your best friends, you're not going to interact with anyone during the movie, unless you are very rude.

I occasionally go eat dinner alone, but I bring reading material, and its usually at a diner or pub. I never eat dinner alone at the type of restaurant where people go on dates.

I never go to bars or nightclubs alone.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
I go where I want to go when I want to go there and I don't wait for others lol. . .

But yeah movies or dinner by myself is fine. For dinner it will usually be more bar/restaurant and I bring reading material like Russel said.

I find it soothing.

I really have no trouble going anywhere by myself.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
i've gone to movies alone before. i don't mind that at all. it's not like i'm going to sit and talk to someone throughout the movie, so therefore not necessary to have someone there all the time. plus not everyone you know will want to see the same movies as you, so you might not have anyone to go see it with.

i've gone down to the bar in my building by myself a few times, but it's because i knew which bartender was working and i went to see him. so i would talk to him, drink a beer, and then leave. it didn't seem that big of a deal because i knew he would be there to tal too and he usually told me to come down if i saw him earlier that day. however, if i didn't know he would be there, i could never go by myself.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
I never go to dinner/out to eat by myself, since eating is a social event for me...I was brought up in a family that always eats supper together, so it seems sort of weird eating alone. However, I will and have gone to movies by myself...I'd rather just go alone than try to talk someone else into coming with me to see something they really don't want to.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:39 PM

I recently went to my first semi-formal/formal banquet alone. It was weird at first and I was even a lil taken back. But after about half an hour or so, I was joined by 5 other ladies who were also dateless and we shared a table. All in all the night turned out pretty good, and I was able to enjoy myself and gain a new sense of self-confidence. Last week, I did buy a ticket to the first wednesday showing for Return of the King after my original date cancelled on me. This too will be a first for me, but I'm not half as nervous about it now as I was before my banquet, and I'm actually looking forward to this "new experience" so to speak. Who knows.....a hot single guy may sit next to me hehe
Old 12-08-2003, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I don'd mind goign to movies alone at all. Dinner, I would get take out rather than sit there by myself and eat. Bars/clubs I will go alone if I am familiar enough with the place.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I have no problems with it either...never have. If I dine alone, it is time to catch up on my newspaper, book or bills.

And if my husband doesn't want to see a movie I like, then what the hell is stopping me from seeing it alone? Not a damn thing!

My sister thinks I am weird, she will not go out to dinner or to a movie alone! I guess she thinks that women who dine alone are pathetic!
So color me pathetic!

Edited to add: I have even taken a vacation alone!

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I go where I want to go when I want to go there and I don't wait for others lol. . .

But yeah movies or dinner by myself is fine. For dinner it will usually be more bar/restaurant and I bring reading material like Russel said.

I find it soothing.

I really have no trouble going anywhere by myself.

Last edited by Jill1228; 12-09-2003 at 04:51 AM.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
Ginger

I've gone to a movie alone once, and I felt very uncomfortable. Even though it isn't a social event, I still enjoy having someone to bounce thoughts about a movie off of immediately after the show. Also, since evenings are really the only time I can go to see movies, I was very nervous walking out in the parking lot by myself in the dark. If I'm going somewhere at night I try to always have someone with me.

As far as dinner... if I'm eating alone, I'll usually eat at home. However, if I do want to go out, I'll usually get take-out and bring it home, or I'll get fast food, eat quickly, and then go. Eating alone in a restaurant tends to bring on unwelcome advances from smarmy men, in my experience!

As far as a bar or a club: NEVER, unless I'm meeting someone there. And even then I'll try to make sure that I leave late enough so that they are there before me. There have been plenty of times where I've felt like going out by myself, especially when I was single... but haven't because A) women alone at bars always seem to have a "desperate" air about them, and B) it's very dangerous!!!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:26 PM

Now I'l never go to dinner alone..............i enjoy the company oth others in a restaurant. if i cant find someone to go with me, I'll go and pick up teh food and take it back home to eat it, but i wotn go and sit in the place by myself and eat..........while I am gaining self-confidence it'll never quite be that high to eat alone in a restaurant I dont think
Old 12-08-2003, 02:40 PM

I can't do it. I'd feel too weird. When I worked at the mall, I use to go on lunch breaks alone and I'd eat in the food court by myself. I felt weird doing that so I couldn't imagine going to a restaurant alone.
Old 12-08-2003, 03:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I recently started going to shows by myself and it's not as bad as I expected. I probably wouldn't mind going to a movie as well. I don't eat alone anymore because there's not much need to, but when I did I would bring a newspaper. I think I'm going to go skiing alone this year because none of my friends really go anymore.
Old 12-08-2003, 04:31 PM

Send a message via ICQ to sigtau305 Send a message via Yahoo to sigtau305 Send a message via Skype™ to sigtau305
Re: Dinner/Movie Alone

Quote:
Originally posted by mullet81
This is coming from a threat in Entertainment...

Does anyone here every go to the movies or out to dinner alone? Things that are typically done with others. Do you feel wierd about it? or is it pretty natural to you?

I do this all the time. It's nothing new. You have time for yourself which is what I like.

LetEmKnow!!RollTau!!
Old 12-08-2003, 04:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to swissmiss04
I go almost everywhere alone. I really don't mind it. Of course I love being around people, but going out to eat/to the movies/whatever is fun regardless of who's with you. I have a huge independent streak, so being alone is never an issue.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
I can't remember ever going to a movie alone, but I am very independent. I've been to a date party alone (my adorable guy friend got sick while we were waiting for the bus) and had a blast with my best friend and her date, I go out to eat ALL THE TIME alone, I'm always going shopping alone (I HATE shopping with other people!), I sometimes go to parties alone, and if I could get into bars, I would probably go alone sometimes as well!!