GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,044
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, NikiMussen
» Online Users: 1,492
2 members and 1,490 guests
Sarak24034

Old 08-18-2020, 09:35 PM
GreekChat Member

The end of my chapter

I recently received a letter from the headquarters of my sorority (I am an alumna).

The executive leadership of my college chapter has asked to return its charter and dissolve, as part of the "Abolish Greek Life" movement. The chapter leadership conducted a vote of membership and the chapter "voted to dissolve" because they believe that sororities are harmful and discriminatory. The current college members believe that legacy preference is harmful; that dues are discriminatory to low-income potential new members; and that the Greek life system needs to be ended.

Our sorority's headquarters are seeking input and feedback from alumnae of our chapter, as well as updating us that this happened. They will issue a decision soon about their response to the chapter's plans (they do not have to "accept" the dissolution/return or charter and what they do next may be sorority-specific, so I will be vague for now). The vote held by the leadership of the chapter and its members has not been shared publicly anywhere (I can't find anything about it on the chapter's social media or website or in the news).

I am not including info about my sorority here, because I don't want this to become public until there is some sort of outcome. But the sorority is a nationally recognized, common, well-known sorority. And the university is a nationally-known, well-respected university. And the chapter is a VERY old chapter.

The chapter is over total; has dozens and dozens of active collegiate members (I don't want to identify the number because it could identify the situation); and has not had any issues with recruitment, operations, etc., as far as I know.

I am very sad to hear this, and things feel a bit complicated to me. I don't really know why I am posting this, but I am. I wish sisters who no longer feel like they could be part of the chapter would disaffiliate or ask for alumnae status, rather than dissolving something that has been important to generations of women. I also understand that I am not a 21-year-old and may be out of sync with this generation.

Tough.
Old 08-18-2020, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

First of all, so sorry that this is happening in your chapter of initiation. As we all know, the college generation is where we "try on" various roles and persona and are very passionate about everything! This is their way of showing their passion for others. Hopefully your Council will find a way to retain the chapter and release those for whom Greek Life no longer seems relevant.
Old 08-19-2020, 06:18 AM

As someone pointed out on Grank Reek, the more the people who are concerned about matters of social justice leave the Greek system, the more it will become the discriminatory, stereotypical pit they claim it to be. Although I question their commitment to their values when they do things like this. It’s always easier to leave the car on the side of the road than it is to fix the flat tire. If they really had confidence in what they are espousing they would have confidence they could turn the Greek system around.

I hope all the HQs deny these requests and say “if you want out, terminate yourself.” I also wonder about the chapter members who don’t agree with this (I guarantee you none of these votes have been 100% unless there were 3 people in the chapter).
Old 08-19-2020, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

I hope all the HQs deny these requests and say “if you want out, terminate yourself.” I also wonder about the chapter members who don’t agree with this (I guarantee you none of these votes have been 100% unless there were 3 people in the chapter).
Dues are discriminatory? Even the Scouts pay dues. Someone has to pay for the activities, y'know.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:16 AM

I think you quoted the wrong part c

Also BRAVO x 1000 to whatever sorority this is for reaching out to the alumnae for input instead of just letting the collegians run roughshod over decades of tradition.
Old 08-19-2020, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Hopefully your HQ and alumnae can invest resources in the chapter members who want to remain open and you can recruit women who don't harbor so much self-hate.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 08-19-2020, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think you quoted the wrong part c

Also BRAVO x 1000 to whatever sorority this is for reaching out to the alumnae for input instead of just letting the collegians run roughshod over decades of tradition.
Ha! I sure did! But I agree, I hope that the haters get tossed out like so much trash. Go do something productive, "ladies".
Old 08-19-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
As someone pointed out on Grank Reek, the more the people who are concerned about matters of social justice leave the Greek system, the more it will become the discriminatory, stereotypical pit they claim it to be. Although I question their commitment to their values when they do things like this. It’s always easier to leave the car on the side of the road than it is to fix the flat tire. If they really had confidence in what they are espousing they would have confidence they could turn the Greek system around.

Well stated.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 08-19-2020, 11:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousie View Post
I recently received a letter from the headquarters of my sorority (I am an alumna).

The executive leadership of my college chapter has asked to return its charter and dissolve, as part of the "Abolish Greek Life" movement. The chapter leadership conducted a vote of membership and the chapter "voted to dissolve" because they believe that sororities are harmful and discriminatory. The current college members believe that legacy preference is harmful; that dues are discriminatory to low-income potential new members; and that the Greek life system needs to be ended.

Our sorority's headquarters are seeking input and feedback from alumnae of our chapter, as well as updating us that this happened. They will issue a decision soon about their response to the chapter's plans (they do not have to "accept" the dissolution/return or charter and what they do next may be sorority-specific, so I will be vague for now). The vote held by the leadership of the chapter and its members has not been shared publicly anywhere (I can't find anything about it on the chapter's social media or website or in the news).

I am not including info about my sorority here, because I don't want this to become public until there is some sort of outcome. But the sorority is a nationally recognized, common, well-known sorority. And the university is a nationally-known, well-respected university. And the chapter is a VERY old chapter.

The chapter is over total; has dozens and dozens of active collegiate members (I don't want to identify the number because it could identify the situation); and has not had any issues with recruitment, operations, etc., as far as I know.

I am very sad to hear this, and things feel a bit complicated to me. I don't really know why I am posting this, but I am. I wish sisters who no longer feel like they could be part of the chapter would disaffiliate or ask for alumnae status, rather than dissolving something that has been important to generations of women. I also understand that I am not a 21-year-old and may be out of sync with this generation.

Tough.

I am so very sorry that this is occurring within your chapter of initiation. I am pleased though that the alumnae are being kept informed by your national headquarters.

Last edited by TLLK; 08-19-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2020, 11:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I saw a situation where over half a chapter disaffiliated for similar reasons. I'm happy your organization is getting alumni input and will hopefully stay on that campus

(Take note I'm a newer member.)

Within my own chapter there was a lot of changes addressing certain issues. Even before all this came up we had a diversity chair who during chapter meetings would give a little presentation on topics like privilege and such. We were also working to avoid money related questions during recruitment, and many of the CPCs were donating to causes related to all this. I feel like many of these members aren't seeing the bigger picture. While greek life isn't perfect overall and there are problems within it, the only people who can really change things are the actives. While they do have overhead from nationals, if they decided to stay involved beyond college if they could, they can help be the ones to change policies to match up with what they want. Plus as I mentioned earlier, the specific chapters can try doing programs or incorporating diversity stuff during chapter or having discussions of these topics in general.

Since 1888

If I can get a bid so can you; a longer recruitment story
Old 08-19-2020, 11:56 AM

The more I think about this the madder I get. It’s all just so damned selfish!!!

I think cheese popcorn is the most disgusting substance on earth - but I’m not going to go around blowing up all the cheese popcorn factories. I can’t stand Faith Hill’s singing but I’m not going to do her harm, I’ll just not listen to her.

The utter lack of ingenuity and originality is what gets me. Dues are too expensive for some people? Start a Anonymousie’s U Greek Scholarship Fund that all the groups can participate in. Legacy preference is harmful? Discuss it with your HQ and give concrete examples of where it’s hurt the chapter. If it still isn’t your thing, fine, quit. But don’t ruin it for others who might enjoy it. If you think you are so much better, create an alternative and people will flock to it if you’re right.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

As I stated in the other thread, I don’t have a problem with people self terminating. What I do have a problem with is trying to make the entire chapter go away.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousie View Post

Tough.
No matter what, it's time for a dialogue with all stakeholders at the table. For some, it will be an exit interview. For others, it will cause reflection of their own time as active collegiate members, but convince them to stay.

In any case, nothing really changes if the conversation doesn't happen.

I wish you the best, sincerely.
Old 08-19-2020, 02:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Why does it seem the groups that want to do this are all at private, expensive (how discriminatory to the less financially fortunate!), selective (how discriminatory to those with low GPAs and test results!) colleges?
Old 08-19-2020, 02:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sororitysock View Post
Why does it seem the groups that want to do this are all at private, expensive (how discriminatory to the less financially fortunate!), selective (how discriminatory to those with low GPAs and test results!) colleges?
Many elite colleges meet the full financial need of low-income students.

If a school has made the decision that financial need won't be a barrier to acceptance, I can see why a chapter of a GLO would want their own organization to mirror those policies.

I also admit that I don't know what semester dues look like for non-NPHC GLOs, whether it is more or less. In my organization, I do advocate for the local alumni chapter covering the initiation fees of at least one candidate who literally could not afford it otherwise. (I also advocate, as much as I can, for the reduction of cost in initiation fees in the first place, which is the real barrier.)