GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,174
1 members and 1,173 guests
No Members online

Old 09-22-2014, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Volunteered with Recruitment...Observations

I had an opportunity to volunteer for recruitment this year, and it is certainly an experience! I wanted to thank all of you ladies (and gentlemen) with giving me a lot of great information about the terms/process/etc. I assisted with handing out and organizing MRABA's on Pref Day and helped/observed on Bid Day.

Just a few random observations:

1. I do not envy those who went through formal recruitment. Some of the young ladies looked so drained and stressed! I saw the "maybe I should just take my chances with COB" girls and the "I want to be in a sorority but not THIS sorority," girls. A couple of girls handed their MRABA back and walked smooth out of the room. We had tissues on hand everywhere! One young lady (she was a sweet girl) loved both sororities so much she didn't know which to rank first (that is a good problem to have)! I wanted to hand out hugs!

2. The SRC's were excellent! They were really trying to sell the chapters to the young ladies. There were quite a few ladies who were strongly thinking about dropping (quite a few did actually drop throughout) and the SRC's talked some back into giving the chapter(s) a chance. They were out there for 5 hours helping a collection of emotional women. I didn't envy them either!

3. I know this is an NPHC person talking, but I wish that the first shirts given to the new girls were in the official sorority colors. One chapter did wear shirts in their colors with their letters on the front and a cute saying on the back, but 3 of the other chapters all had shirts in the same colors/styles. From where the PNM's were standing, they couldn't see the letters on the tops, so if a member wasn't holding their letters/signs high it caused confusion! A couple of young ladies started to run "home" in the wrong direction!

4. I saw some young ladies wearing shorts that had their Greek letters on their behinds. A couple of friends that are AKA's were also working and we were...well...totally surprised.

Overall, it was a great experience, and I would love to help again! One thing I will say about the timing of recruitment, was that the PNM's get a month into school and formulate their own opinions. I think tent talk really hurt chapters, especially the weaker recruiting ones. Quite a few PNM's weren't willing to give the chapters a shot which was unfortunate.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Interesting observations all around.
Regarding #3-the problem is they get SOOO many shirts that the girls in the house forget that the first one is more important than any shirt thereafter. Hopefully this will serve as a friendly reminder.

And 4-since our letters are symbols first and foremost, I have never understood sitting on your letters. In my sorority, you are never to place anything above the quill (a different pin, for instance), and yet we can SIT on our letters? Seems pretty rude to me.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for volunteering your time and for sharing your observations. I agree with you on the stick to your own colors on bid day-a confusing enough day on it's own w/o several groups wearing each other's colors so it goes with their bid day theme. And HATE butt letters!
Old 09-22-2014, 03:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to lovespink88
Butt letters are still a thing? I feel like that was cool (not just letters but any kind of word, team name, etc) when I was a jr in high school, like 10 years ago (DEAR GOD)
Old 09-22-2014, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespink88 View Post
Butt letters are still a thing? I feel like that was cool (not just letters but any kind of word, team name, etc) when I was a jr in high school, like 10 years ago (DEAR GOD)
You were in high school 10 years ago? PFFFTTT....you're still a baby.

Also, ixnay on the butt letters. Not cool.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
3. I know this is an NPHC person talking, but I wish that the first shirts given to the new girls were in the official sorority colors. One chapter did wear shirts in their colors with their letters on the front and a cute saying on the back, but 3 of the other chapters all had shirts in the same colors/styles. From where the PNM's were standing, they couldn't see the letters on the tops, so if a member wasn't holding their letters/signs high it caused confusion! A couple of young ladies started to run "home" in the wrong direction!
I've been noticing from bid day pics from various school, the flower-child look is so in right now! Flowered letters, floral wreaths on heads, and pastel shirts, sometimes tie-dyes. It's cute, but interchangeable. I agree with PersistentDST. It would be great to see more official colors, symbols, mascots, etc- to look at a group of girls and see Red and Yellow and know right away- those are the new Chi Omegas!
Old 09-22-2014, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
I've been noticing from bid day pics from various school, the flower-child look is so in right now! Flowered letters, floral wreaths on heads, and pastel shirts, sometimes tie-dyes. It's cute, but interchangeable. I agree with PersistentDST. It would be great to see more official colors, symbols, mascots, etc- to look at a group of girls and see Red and Yellow and know right away- those are the new Chi Omegas!
I think it's Auburn where every new member gets a stitched letter jersey in their sorority's colors on Bid Day, and I think that's a great way to easily identify who's who.

Also AFAIK some sororities have national policies against butt letters. I think ADPi is one of them, but I could be wrong.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:39 PM

I think it comes out of wanting to give ALL the women something they'll feel comfy in - sorority colors aren't always the most flattering. We had several vehement red haters. I do agree that if everyone is wearing white tank tops it makes things hard.

And these girls need to be reminded that the reason people wore this flower child scheisse the first time around is THEY WERE HIGH!!
Old 09-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

And anti-greek life.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
And these girls need to be reminded that the reason people wore this flower child scheisse the first time around is THEY WERE HIGH!!
LOL.

I don't necessarily think that the chapters all need to be wearing their sorority's colors (although it would definitely help!), but they should identify themselves as ABC sorority somehow. They could hold up their letters, or one of their symbols, or SOMETHING so as to alleviate the issue of girls running to the wrong chapter. Not that it's the worst thing in the world, but I imagine it's slightly embarrassing for the new members who are running and jumping for joy, stopping, and thinking, "Oh crap, I'm running in the wrong direction. Where the heck is ABC?"

@~/~~~~
Old 09-23-2014, 05:17 PM

Persistent, did you volunteer at Kent?

Lakers Nation.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post

Yes, she was at Kent.

I was asked to do the same at John Carroll but was to drained after a week of misadventured business travel. Would have loved to be there to volunteer.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I think it comes out of wanting to give ALL the women something they'll feel comfy in - sorority colors aren't always the most flattering. We had several vehement red haters. I do agree that if everyone is wearing white tank tops it makes things hard.
I barely ever wore red before I crossed, but now I have a red and white wardrobe. (There are PLENTY of ways to wear red )I just love to see ladies wear their stitched letter shirts in their official colors. At least one shirt! All of our founders picked their colors for a significant reason, so why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Yes I did!
Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I never buy any Alpha Gam paraphernalia that isn't in our colors (at least 2 of the 3). I think the colors are important and stick to them. I'm also not fond of the letters on the butt.

I think it's great that you helped out!
Old 09-24-2014, 02:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
I barely ever wore red before I crossed, but now I have a red and white wardrobe. (There are PLENTY of ways to wear red )I just love to see ladies wear their stitched letter shirts in their official colors. At least one shirt! All of our founders picked their colors for a significant reason, so why not?
I don't think I wore yellow often back then, but now it's all gold everything!