GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.


Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:
 
Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

  I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 318,359
Threads: 114,885
Posts: 2,176,436
Welcome to our newest member, Brireeslp
» Online Users: 413
0 members and 413 guests
No Members online
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-17-2021, 07:34 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,282
AKA "Porn Star Ken"

__________________
Gamma Phi Beta

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 03-17-2021 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-18-2021, 08:43 AM
chi-o_cat chi-o_cat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 531
Wow, nice! I think I only ever had 2 Kens. One was Malibu Ken, which came wearing nothing but swim trunks, and Crystal Ken, who matched Crystal Barbie, of course, and wore an opalescent suit and purple tie. And the Michael Jackson doll was in the mix somewhere, too.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-18-2021, 08:57 AM
AGDee AGDee is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 14,950
That Ken is hilarious!
__________________
AGD
Live with Purpose!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-18-2021, 11:09 AM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,175
LOL at Porn Star Ken!

My Barbie preferred Alan, the purported boyfriend of Midge. She loved his dreamy auburn hair! My Midge had to settle for Ken.

__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-18-2021, 06:52 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyKD View Post
When my parents moved, they forgot to clean out a cupboard in the garage and my Barbie was among my childhood keepsakes that were left behindd.
DaffyKD
Oh no! How awful!
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-18-2021, 07:15 PM
AnchorAlumna AnchorAlumna is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Old South
Posts: 2,857
In 1961, I was 8, and we moved to a new town about an hour away from where we had been.
I quickly discovered the neighborhood girls were into Barbie. I was more into my new bicycle, which I could ride with no training wheels, but it became obvious that I needed a Barbie to connect with my new friends. I don't remember how I got her, but one appeared - blond pony tail, striped swimsuit, and two very simple outfits that I don't remember now. Later, my little brother snipped off her nose and some fingers and then threw her under his bed. So much for a valuable antique!
My mom must have been behind the Barbie appearing...as a little girl she grew up very poor during the Depression but only had one homemade doll.
We soon found out that Barbie was all about the CLOTHES!
We poured over those tiny catalogs that came with each Barbie item, dreaming about "Enchanted Evening," "Red Flare," "Solo in the Spotlight" and "Golden Girl."
I actually got most of those, which was a miracle because Mom really pinched pennies. She got the idea to make some clothes - beautiful evening gowns made out of scraps of turquoise satin and gold taffeta, a summer dress of white pique with a pink appliqued rose. Yes, made with tiny snaps and hand-sewn trim!
I didn't appreciate them-I wanted to make the other girls jealous with my wardrobe of official Barbie outfits. Of course now Mom's homemade garments are my most precious ones.
My second Barbie - blonde bubble cut - was the first purchase of $10 I got for a straight-A report card. She cost me $3.18.
Lots of houses were going up in our neighborhood, so we re-purposed bits and pieces we found at the building sites when the crews had gone home. Blocks of wood make coffee tables, trimming tiles made sofas.
My grandparents made a rare visit sometime around fall...probably 1963. I fixated on a Barbie ballerina outfit and literally pitched a tantrum over it. I finally calmed down and decided I could wait for it, but my uncle took up a collection so I could get the outfit. I was so ashamed!
I graduated from Barbie about the time Midge, Skipper and the rest came out, and I'm glad. Nobody could collect everything they made.
I wouldn't even let my own daughter play with my vintage Barbies, but did let my middle granddaughter play with them when she was 5. I regretted it - some of the tiny accessories (gloves, purses, a phone, outdoor grill utensils) were destroyed or lost. I put them back up. Maybe I'll leave them to her in my will.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-18-2021, 07:34 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,282
What I've always found amusing is the wide assortment of Career Barbies they've come up with over the years...everything from astronaut to figure skater to veterinarian.

Meanwhile, Ken has been a surfer, groom, and male escort. That's it. And groom isn't even a career.
__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-18-2021, 08:14 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,175
I remember reading somewhere that Barbie went to the moon before Neil Armstrong! Yes, the careers have been amazing!
__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-18-2021, 09:00 PM
carnation carnation is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 12,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
In 1961, I was 8, and we moved to a new town about an hour away from where we had been.
I quickly discovered the neighborhood girls were into Barbie. I was more into my new bicycle, which I could ride with no training wheels, but it became obvious that I needed a Barbie to connect with my new friends. I don't remember how I got her, but one appeared - blond pony tail, striped swimsuit, and two very simple outfits that I don't remember now. Later, my little brother snipped off her nose and some fingers and then threw her under his bed. So much for a valuable antique!
My mom must have been behind the Barbie appearing...as a little girl she grew up very poor during the Depression but only had one homemade doll.
We soon found out that Barbie was all about the CLOTHES!
We poured over those tiny catalogs that came with each Barbie item, dreaming about "Enchanted Evening," "Red Flare," "Solo in the Spotlight" and "Golden Girl."
I actually got most of those, which was a miracle because Mom really pinched pennies. She got the idea to make some clothes - beautiful evening gowns made out of scraps of turquoise satin and gold taffeta, a summer dress of white pique with a pink appliqued rose. Yes, made with tiny snaps and hand-sewn trim!
I didn't appreciate them-I wanted to make the other girls jealous with my wardrobe of official Barbie outfits. Of course now Mom's homemade garments are my most precious ones.
My second Barbie - blonde bubble cut - was the first purchase of $10 I got for a straight-A report card. She cost me $3.18.
Lots of houses were going up in our neighborhood, so we re-purposed bits and pieces we found at the building sites when the crews had gone home. Blocks of wood make coffee tables, trimming tiles made sofas.
All this! But about snipping of the nose: do you remember how tiny and pointy their noses were? My sister did the same thing. Must have been tempting.
__________________
WARR EAGLE!!! WOOO PIG! SOOIE!! HAIL STATE!!
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-18-2021, 09:28 PM
Sciencewoman's Avatar
Sciencewoman Sciencewoman is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-o_cat View Post
Wow, nice! I think I only ever had 2 Kens. One was Malibu Ken, which came wearing nothing but swim trunks, and Crystal Ken, who matched Crystal Barbie, of course, and wore an opalescent suit and purple tie. And the Michael Jackson doll was in the mix somewhere, too.
According to the box, he's the "handsomest Ken ever." Hmmm...looks like he needs a good tailor.
Is "handsomest" a word?

__________________
Gamma Phi Beta
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-18-2021, 09:48 PM
chi-o_cat chi-o_cat is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
According to the box, he's the "handsomest Ken ever." Hmmm...looks like he needs a good tailor.
Is "handsomest" a word?
I tell my cats they are the “handsomest boy” all the time...that must be where I got it! 🐈
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-19-2021, 09:34 AM
Cheerio Cheerio is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where Light Sings
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
I wouldn't even let my own daughter play with my vintage Barbies, but did let my middle granddaughter play with them when she was 5. I regretted it - some of the tiny accessories (gloves, purses, a phone, outdoor grill utensils) were destroyed or lost. I put them back up. Maybe I'll leave them to her in my will.
Such fun memories! Our Barbie telephones were the 60s keychains made to resemble Trimline phones and distributed by the phone company.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-19-2021, 02:20 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheerio View Post
Such fun memories! Our Barbie telephones were the 60s keychains made to resemble Trimline phones and distributed by the phone company.
We had those, too!

Did anyone have a Tressy? I didn't, but I did have Tressy's Hat Shoppe.
My daddy would save the creamer containers for me to use for doll hats!

__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-19-2021, 02:25 PM
honeychile's Avatar
honeychile honeychile is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Counting my blessings!
Posts: 28,175
I stand corrected: Tressy's MILLINERY SHOPPE!


__________________
~ *~"ADPi until I die!"~*~
Proud to be a Macon Magnolia
"He who is not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-19-2021, 02:45 PM
Cheerio Cheerio is offline
GreekChat Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Where Light Sings
Posts: 3,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
We had those, too!

Did anyone have a Tressy? I didn't, but I did have Tressy's Hat Shoppe.
My daddy would save the creamer containers for me to use for doll hats!

Our cousin Tammy had a TAMMY doll, whose original outfit was a blue one-piece gymsuit with white trim. Somehow that gymsuit permanently ended up at our house!

Slight sidetrack: Which of you remembers wearing a one-piece blue gymsuit in middle/high school? And was it required, as it was at my schools, that you embroider your FULL NAME in large, white letters across the back for all to read?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Barbie and Ken split! Taualumna Chit Chat 14 02-14-2004 02:22 AM
ken and barbie sundevil2000 Social 19 02-11-2004 01:41 AM
Muslim Barbie?? Honeykiss1974 Chit Chat 55 10-09-2003 02:57 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.