GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,689
2 members and 1,687 guests
flamboyanttree, LaneSig
Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:14 AM
GreekChat Member

SarahE would love to hear an update! My daughter is participating in recruitment also and is so nervous for bid day tomorrow!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTmom2 View Post
SarahE would love to hear an update! My daughter is participating in recruitment also and is so nervous for bid day tomorrow!
I'm a little embarrassed to say that I dropped out of recruitment earlier. I can honestly say it was the craziest, most difficult experience of my life.

Some chapters that cut me pretty quickly I had rec letters for and others that I didn't have letters for stayed on my list longer.

I had Alpha Delta Pi and Alpha Xi Delta left. They're great girls but for a few reasons I was just not feeling it with them.

I'm located in a good dorm and hoping to meet a lot of actives this year so that as a sophomore I can connect to a chapter that I'm 500% behind. So, I'm not finished yet!!

There was a lot of good information on here so that was good!
Old 08-28-2017, 12:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Good luck to your daughter. What houses does she have left and which one does she like the most?
Old 08-28-2017, 01:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the update! Next year is just around the corner ... get to know those girls!
Old 08-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

SarahE, I am sorry that rush didn't work out the way you had hoped. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and are going to be fine. Best wishes.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

SarahE-so sorry it didn't work for you this year! UT recruitment is tough but it sounds like you have a good plan for next year. My D will kill me if I share too much so I will say she went to two pref parties yesterday-one is her legacy house and the other is the house she fell in love with from the second she walked in the door. I am hoping that she gets her first choice but I know that she will be just fine with her second.
Good luck to you. UT has so many great organizations that I know you will have a fantastic freshman year!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Sarah, I would strongly urge you to edit the post that contains the specific names of the chapters that you "didn't feel it with." That can come back to bite you if you rush again as a sophomore - certainly from those two chapters (who you might decide you really like as you meet more people this year) but also from other chapters who might feel your post is in poor taste. Actives DO read these boards and DO have long memories!
Old 08-28-2017, 11:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Of the 3 recs I wrote, one went Zeta, one went AEPhi, and one went Alpha Phi! Glad they all found a home.
Old 08-29-2017, 10:44 PM

trymeplease, congrats to your rec PNMs, especially the one who went AEPhi (I'm a tad bit biased ).

SarahE, good luck with your recruitment next year.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:00 PM

This is kind of a mish mosh of thoughts but bear with me.

Honesty time.

Let's look at the facts. You are from out of state. You were a late registrant. That probably means you did not/could not secure recs to everyone. You also have the disadvantage of not knowing a lot of girls from school, camp, etc.

That is the recipe for hard cuts.

As to the "I'm going to take this year to get to know people and try next year" thing.

Here's thing.

Every PNM who drops out because they "did not feel a connection" and wants a "better connection next time" generally means that they did not end up with one of the six or so chapters that everyone wants to be in. They are hopeful that one of these six or eight will "connect better" next time.

The thing with that is, these six or eight are the chapters that EVERYONE tends to feel connected with. That is why you know their names when people talk about the "best at UT." They're good at recruitment. They make you feel like you want to be them. It is literally their job to do that.

See also: These are also the chapters who are least likely to pick up sophomores because their classes are mostly freshmen who are known elements from hometowns, school, camp, etc.

I'm not saying do not try again. I'm just saying be honest about your opportunities if you are on the hunt for a certain type or tier of group. You may have diminishing returns with continuing to try a second time.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:12 AM
GreekChat Member

SarahE
I tried to PM you but not sure if you received. My daughter pledged her legacy. She was disappointed because she absolutely love her first choice. However she is okay with with where she ended up and is making friends with the girls in her pledge class. Her legacy house is not in the top 6 or 8 most popular sororities at UT yet is filled with lovely young women who seem to have a great sisterhood!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is kind of a mish mosh of thoughts but bear with me.

Honesty time.

Let's look at the facts. You are from out of state. You were a late registrant. That probably means you did not/could not secure recs to everyone. You also have the disadvantage of not knowing a lot of girls from school, camp, etc.

That is the recipe for hard cuts.

As to the "I'm going to take this year to get to know people and try next year" thing.

Here's thing.

Every PNM who drops out because they "did not feel a connection" and wants a "better connection next time" generally means that they did not end up with one of the six or so chapters that everyone wants to be in. They are hopeful that one of these six or eight will "connect better" next time.

The thing with that is, these six or eight are the chapters that EVERYONE tends to feel connected with. That is why you know their names when people talk about the "best at UT." They're good at recruitment. They make you feel like you want to be them. It is literally their job to do that.

See also: These are also the chapters who are least likely to pick up sophomores because their classes are mostly freshmen who are known elements from hometowns, school, camp, etc.

I'm not saying do not try again. I'm just saying be honest about your opportunities if you are on the hunt for a certain type or tier of group. You may have diminishing returns with continuing to try a second time.
I don't know. There seem to be a lot of sophomores that rushed and got houses they were happy with. I think it'll be fine. I liked the two chapters that were on campus and five others that were off campus, so I think with better preparation next year and getting to know some of the active this year I hope to be in better shape as a sophomore.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aephi alum View Post
trymeplease, congrats to your rec PNMs, especially the one who went AEPhi (I'm a tad bit biased ).

SarahE, good luck with your recruitment next year.
Thank you and everyone else for the good luck wishes!!
Old 09-03-2017, 11:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
SarahE
I tried to PM you but not sure if you received. My daughter pledged her legacy. She was disappointed because she absolutely love her first choice. However she is okay with with where she ended up and is making friends with the girls in her pledge class. Her legacy house is not in the top 6 or 8 most popular sororities at UT yet is filled with lovely young women who seem to have a great sisterhood!
Yeah, you're right. All of the houses have girls that enjoy each other. That I could tell.

I've got a couple of messages in my box that I need to read but they always pop up on a separate window and I can't open them, so sorry if I missed one of your messages.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

You have to go directly to the box-ignore the pop up.