GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,393
2 members and 1,391 guests
chironthearcher

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Baylor Recruitment 2010

Hi to all of you people who have helped me learn so much about this process and community!
I just finished my freshman year at Baylor and have decided that I definitely want to rush next year. I am so excited and so nervous (and it's only the beginning of summer ) and wanted to know if anyone could tell me if being a sophomore is going to hurt me a lot during recruitment.
Also, any advice about Baylor sororities would be awesome (I know that I have seen some other girls ask about Baylor but they seemed to be in other circumstances with different questions than I have).
Thanks in advance for all of the help

Also...what to wear would be extremely helpful, especially since every university is different.

Last edited by txpacer; 05-14-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 PM

According to this thread, Baylor utilized a separate quota for juniors in 2008, but that involves juniors only (and allows them to take a few juniors without counting them in regular quota). But sophs are not counted in that.

http://greekchat.com/gcforums/showth...ghlight=Baylor

In general, if a school has a separate junior quota, it is a competitive school and upperclassmen are going to have a harder time getting a bid than a freshman student. The separate quota allows them to take on a few extra juniors, but I'd say that you should expect to be cut a tad heavily in the beginning.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-14-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I was afraid of that, but I am hoping that I won't suffer heavy cuts just for that. I am really hoping that they don't cut me just for that...hopefully my personality will change their minds.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
I was afraid of that, but I am hoping that I won't suffer heavy cuts just for that. I am really hoping that they don't cut me just for that...hopefully my personality will change their minds.
FYI: At some larger competitive recruitments, it is common for girls to be released based on class standing. We just typically tell girls to be prepared to be cut heavily, so it's not a big surprise.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:35 AM
GreekChat Member

At least I know now and will be well-prepared. It helps me a lot to understand that early so I can adjust my mindset. Hard news to hear, but very helpful.
Thanks!
Old 05-15-2009, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

And I was not counting in all of the hours that I tested out of. I will be at Baylor for three more years, but because of AP tests I will have 74 hours and will be considered a junior...thereby not part of the quota but potentially less desirable.
Guess it's time for me to take a look at the Baylor junior thread.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:50 AM

FYI: If you have enough credits to be a junior, then you are considered a junior for recruitment purposes.

Lakers Nation.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpacer View Post
And I was not counting in all of the hours that I tested out of. I will be at Baylor for three more years, but because of AP tests I will have 74 hours and will be considered a junior...thereby not part of the quota but potentially less desirable.
Guess it's time for me to take a look at the Baylor junior thread.
Make sure to let girls know this, it does make a difference that you will be on campus (and therefore an active sister) for three more years.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbm View Post
Make sure to let girls know this, it does make a difference that you will be on campus (and therefore an active sister) for three more years.
It may make a difference.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

EEEEP! This is becoming a little bit nerve racking for me. I really feel like a sorority would be a great place for me and that I have a lot to offer, including making the Dean's List every semester, being an honors student, being involved in other groups where I am very active, and doing community service. I know that freshman are more desirable, but while my hours say junior, I am only a second year student who will be attending for four years.
If anyone could offer me suggestions on how to best downplay the negatives so that I could maximize my options during recruitment, I would love to hear them. I do have some ideas, but would really like hearing (or rather, reading) others.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

if you have the opportunity during the course of conversation, when asked what year you are you might reply, " in hours i am a junior, due to the ap classes i took in hs, but i actually have "x" amount of years left on campus ."

the alumnae who write recommendations for you could also explain that in writing when they send in the rec. for you.

you might also be able to make note of it on your recruitment enrollment form.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:56 AM
GreekChat Member

I will definitely do that. Every one of the alumnae I have spoken to is aware of my situation...the great thing is that they have all been extremely supportive . I feel like I am getting off to the best start that I possibly can.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

I didn't go to school @ Baylor but from what I understand, it's a competitive school.

Make sure you have recs for all of the houses.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I am working extremely hard to get all of my recs in for every house.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Ok I know about Baylor. It's pretty well know that you have jr hours but on really a soph because of your graduation date. They send out an email in the Fall if you have Soph hours but are living in a Freshamn dorm let them know. The older you are the more that grade count. They what people that can help the Chapters GPA. PM for more info.