GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,608
0 members and 2,608 guests
No Members online

Old 07-16-2009, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink View Post
I'm sure resumes and recommendations are a part of your processes but the way things work in my school is that if you're interested in a sorority or fraternity, you become a member of their interest group. And in that interest group, you show your capabilities in how you work with the other members of that interest group and in planning events, fundraisers, community service, etc. You're also given an opportunity to work with the sisters/brothers of that sorority/fraternity and also get to know them personally. You can be an interest for a semester or a year or 2 years. It all depends on when that sorority/fraternity decides to pledge the interest.
Are these NPC organizations? (That is, are they any of these.) If they are, they are breaking lots and lots AND LOTS of national rules. I'm kind of guessing not, but even so, yipesy von yipes
Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Are these NPC organizations?
No, the organizations she's referring to are not NPCs.

Old 07-17-2009, 12:29 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladypink View Post
Oh yeah, definitely. Each organization is different but there's usually a group of interests for each org. I don't know if it's because of the greek council in my school or not... :/ For example, I know one sorority in my school doesn't have an interest group... they just have interests. The interests doesn't have to do meetings or anything. Whereas other interests for other orgs do. It's just that rushing (which I find is a "Term used for the period in which fraternities / sororities and potential members become acquainted") is a totally different concept. I've asked other greeks and they've told me that rushing is what they do in some other schools but not in this school.

Based on many of the "rush" stories I read, interests and the organizations get to know eachother in a number of events during a specified period of time and at the end, the interest will (possibly) receive an invitation to become apart of their organization. (Excuse if I'm incorrect Dx)

I've come to understand that rushing is a campus-wide event that last for a few weeks... ?

It doesn't quite happen like that in my school. The greek-recruity event that occurs happens in one night once a semester and it's known as Meet The Greeks. Usually the greek orgs will do a showcase but it's all fun. They will do strolls or steps, etc.

Whenever there's an event in which greek orgs are present, they usually have a table where they display their paddles, teekees, colors, mascots, etc. And if you're interested, you sign up at their tables to recieve further information later.
Much of the information you've been reading on Greekchat (ie the Recruitment Stories) are related to the National Panhellenic Conference (NPC), which does many things differently than National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). Judging from the terms you're using (neo, stroll, step, interest) and the description of the intake process, I'm guessing you're interested in NPHC. It even sounds like only NPHC organizations are found on your campus...do you go to an historically black college?

Or is it possible that the greeks on your campus are professional and/or special interest greek letter organizations not affiliated with a national conference?

If you told us your school or the names of some organizations on your campus it would help us understand.