GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,734
2 members and 1,732 guests
Cookiez17, Sen's Revenge

Old 01-12-2012, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
Yes, we do. That's how AOII got back our chapter at Youngstown by colonizing the Alpha Omega Pi sorority there. We wanted to go back, so it was a good fit. It wouldn't be the same for this case, however, (so OP don't get your hopes up for KKG) since there was no prior Kappa chapter, and the local group isn't headed by Kappas from another campus.
As I noted way up thread, and this may be an assumption on my part, the Murray State Campus Panhellenic and Administration most likely do not feel there is a need to add an NPC chapter at this time. So I don't see this even getting to the point where any NPC group might be contacted.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Yes, we do. That's how AOII got back our chapter at Youngstown by colonizing the Alpha Omega Pi sorority there. We wanted to go back, so it was a good fit. It wouldn't be the same for this case, however, (so OP don't get your hopes up for KKG) since there was no prior Kappa chapter, and the local group isn't headed by Kappas from another campus.
I know I've heard of counterexamples, too. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there have DEFINITELY been instances when a group called Chi Omicron ended up affiliating with ASA or something like that.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSteven View Post
As I noted way up thread, and this may be an assumption on my part, the Murray State Campus Panhellenic and Administration most likely do not feel there is a need to add an NPC chapter at this time. So I don't see this even getting to the point where any NPC group might be contacted.
Dates for "Spring" Informal 2012 there are on the web at

http://www.murraystate.edu/Campus/or...cruitment.aspx

Spring Informal Recruitment Dates:
Panhellenic Open House: January 25, 2012 (visit the Murray State Panhellenic Facebook Page for information)

Alpha Delta Pi: January 23 & 31, 2012 & February 7, 2012
Alpha Gamma Delta: February 7-9, 2012
Alpha Omicron Pi: February 1-3, 2012

So yes, I'd tend to agree with TSteven that it's unlikely that their Panhellenic feels a deep need -- or any need whatsoever, probably -- to bring another NPC org to campus. Given that three chapters are doing informal, it doesn't look like the system is bursting at the seams right now.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I know I've heard of counterexamples, too. I can't think of any off the top of my head, but there have DEFINITELY been instances when a group called Chi Omicron ended up affiliating with ASA or something like that.
A group called Zeta Tau whose colors were blue and gray, actually It was at agzg's school.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Oh definitely. It can be done, but it is a rare exception. All the power is in the hands of the Panhellenic association and in the NPC groups who can choose whether or not to apply. The interest groups are the beggers...they rarely get to be choosers.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-13-2012, 04:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlurker View Post
So yes, I'd tend to agree with TSteven that it's unlikely that their Panhellenic feels a deep need -- or any need whatsoever, probably -- to bring another NPC org to campus. Given that three chapters are doing informal, it doesn't look like the system is bursting at the seams right now.
Clearly this isn't the case where you have a whole Greek system of chapters that are bursting at the seams and 1 who just can't seem to get out of a downward spiral. There are campuses who have this situation and expand anyway. This is 3 of 5 chapters who are not at total. Even if they're only off total by 1, they are still not bursting at the seams.

So disgruntled girl with busy-body gay boyfriend had her heart set on 1, maybe 2 chapters out of 5. And who here is surprised her rush didn't succeed? If any good could have come out of this thread, hopefully a discussion was had to re-think her distaste for the 3 options she does have in front of her.

Changing subject a bit, at least 2 of the 3 chapters who are doing informal took well over quota and are still not at chapter total. As opposed to expansion, I'm wondering if they've thought about reducing chapter total to 85 or so. Having to have an organized rush twice a year is stressful and expensive and if 3 of 5 chapters aren't making it in the first go I'd be looking at that and CERTAINLY not expansion.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Clearly this isn't the case where you have a whole Greek system of chapters that are bursting at the seams and 1 who just can't seem to get out of a downward spiral. There are campuses who have this situation and expand anyway. This is 3 of 5 chapters who are not at total. Even if they're only off total by 1, they are still not bursting at the seams.

So disgruntled girl with busy-body gay boyfriend had her heart set on 1, maybe 2 chapters out of 5. And who here is surprised her rush didn't succeed? If any good could have come out of this thread, hopefully a discussion was had to re-think her distaste for the 3 options she does have in front of her.

Changing subject a bit, at least 2 of the 3 chapters who are doing informal took well over quota and are still not at chapter total. As opposed to expansion, I'm wondering if they've thought about reducing chapter total to 85 or so. Having to have an organized rush twice a year is stressful and expensive and if 3 of 5 chapters aren't making it in the first go I'd be looking at that and CERTAINLY not expansion.
This is what I wrote up thread.

Quote:
For what it is worth, it is not unusual for one or more Murray State chapters to have informal recruitment in the spring.

My understanding is that most of the chapters are "right at" or “slightly over” total after fall rush. But after fall graduations, random early alum status, and with members studying abroad, any given chapter may be under total by a few members at the start of the spring semester. But still not enough "overall" to warrant expansion.
And just to expand on that, informal spring recruitment is not viewed as a negative. Most springs, the chapters that participate in informal recruitment end up filling their open spots with friends and/or those who may have been involved in time consuming fall activities - like marching band, fall sports etc.

By the way, I may have missed it, but I don't recall reading that the alleged "disgruntled girl" had rushed before, much less had her heart set on any of the chapters etc.
Old 01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
By the way, I may have missed it, but I don't recall reading that the alleged "disgruntled girl" had rushed before, much less had her heart set on any of the chapters etc.
See below from earlier in the thread (bold emphasis mine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
Interestingly enough, according to Murray State's website, three of the five sororities on campus are having Informal Recruitment this spring. It doesn't appear on the surface as if the sororities are bursting at the seams and that there's actually a need for another organization.

The organizations on your campus are fabulous. They have strong traditions and wonderful philanthropies. I'd also be willing to assert that on the whole, they do lots of the same things that Kappas do.

Sounds like a case of women who didn't get bids to the group they wanted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandrewporter View Post
The harsh truth is that this may be a bit accurate (now that I think about it)
but if she pursues the expansion then I am going to still help out the best I can.
I don't believe anyone here has said anything about the need for informal recruitment being a negative, just that it's an indication that they are not in need of expansion at this time.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amIblue? View Post
See below from earlier in the thread (bold emphasis mine)

I don't believe anyone here has said anything about the need for informal recruitment being a negative, just that it's an indication that they are not in need of expansion at this time.
Thanks. I guess I did miss that. Mea culpa.

For what it is worth, I know advisors of three of the five chapters. I also know women (friends and family) who became members of their sorority via one of the five chapters there. As such - and because of some of the comments that I perhaps misinterpreted (or perhaps not) - I felt a need to give a context to their NPC spring informal recruitment.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Kappa just established a new chapter at NYU. A local group petitioned them for affiliation. In this circumstance, was this allowed because NYU has already been deemed open for expansion by the local (NYU) Panhellenic? In other words, if a campus is declared open, is this when petitioning a specific NPC chapter is allowed?
Old 01-13-2012, 05:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
Kappa just established a new chapter at NYU. A local group petitioned them for affiliation. In this circumstance, was this allowed because NYU has already been deemed open for expansion by the local (NYU) Panhellenic? In other words, if a campus is declared open, is this when petitioning a specific NPC chapter is allowed?
This would be a specific situation in which a local sorority at a HIGHLY desireable campus petitioned to join a specific sorority. The campus panhellenic voted to open and allow them to be colonized by Kappa who WANTED to expand to NYU because they were interested in that specific school. Like we have said before, this CAN happen, but it is not common.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks. I guess I did miss that. Mea culpa.

For what it is worth, I know advisors of three of the five chapters. I also know women (friends and family) who became members of their sorority via one of the five chapters there. As such - and because of some of the comments that I perhaps misinterpreted (or perhaps not) - I felt a need to give a context to their NPC spring informal recruitment.
Murray State is a great school, and the organizations there are fantastic. I don't think any of us meant any disrespect regarding the school or the organizations there (I sure didn't), just that they don't need another one right now.

As the OP purported to be in a fraternity, expansion just doesn't work the same way.

It's not unusual for a PNM to get cut or only get bid from a group she deems beneath her, get her knickers in a wad, and then decide she's just going to start her own group.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lake View Post
I'll dig my Key out and see what I can confirm. I seem to recall that ZTA recently colonized there, too. I'm kind of thinking that NYU just opened to national organizations or to expansion in general. They are in a growth phase, no doubt. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

ETA:

Here's the info from Irishpipes' awesome NPC Recruitment thread

New York University
New York City, NY
September 18-25, 2011
Quota=
Campus Total=
Alpha Omicron Pi Nu 1900-1961
Alpha Epsilon Phi Zeta 1917-1965/? (38)
Delta Phi Epsilon Alpha 1917 (38)
Phi Sigma Sigma Gamma 1918-1963
Phi Omega Pi New York Alpha 1920-?
Theta Upsilon Beta Alpha 1932-1962 National absorbed by Delta Zeta
Beta Phi Alpha Alpha Theta 1935-1941 National absorbed by Delta Zeta
Delta Zeta Beta Omega 1935-1969
Sigma Delta Tau Alpha Rho 1960-1970

Alpha Sigma Tau Delta Phi 2002 (41)
Pi Beta Phi New York Eta 2009
Zeta Tau Alpha Colony Fall 2011 (93)
Kappa Kappa Gamma Eta Pi Colony Fall 2011 (Absorbing local)

The Key stated that there are still two locals on campus at NYU. Looks like the last decade has seen a surge in national organizations after the 1960s weren't so kind to NPC groups. Anyone know any history here?

Last edited by amIblue?; 01-13-2012 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This would be a specific situation in which a local sorority at a HIGHLY desireable campus petitioned to join a specific sorority. The campus panhellenic voted to open and allow them to be colonized by Kappa who WANTED to expand to NYU because they were interested in that specific school. Like we have said before, this CAN happen, but it is not common.
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming!
Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
GreekChat Member

This is kind of spooky and adds a new perspective to all of this. It seems to support a possible reason - however misguided and or misinformed it might have been - behind the original post.

Greek Life considers new sorority chapter/
November 17, 2011
The Murray State News
Haley Russell
Assistant News Editor

The Panhellenic Council at Murray State is considering including a new sorority chapter to the Greek Life community already including 11 Interfraternity Council organizations, seven national Panhellenic Council organizations and five Panhellenic organizations.

The Panhellenic Council held a meeting on Nov. 10, to discuss the possibility of expanding Greek Life at Murray State.

Tara Hawthorne, director of Greek Life, said though this committee has been formed, there are still no guarantees.

“At this moment, there is not a new chapter that is coming,” she said. “We’re just in the process of talking about if a new chapter will come.”

Hawthorne said the process of deciding whether to bring a new chapter is a long one, beginning with the creation of a proposal to send to the National Panhellenic Council.

“It’s a very long process through Panhellenic,” she said. “Initially, what you do is you bring that topic up to Panhellenic chapters saying ‘do we want to look at extension and possibly bringing another chapter here,’” she said.

From there, the council lists the pros and cons of bringing a new chapter to Murray State’s campus and whether they want to pursue it by setting an exploratory committee.

Hawthorne said the committee discussed different factors that will go into the possible new chapter.

“We met on Thursday (Nov. 10) and talked about recruitment, enrollment numbers, the pros and cons of having another sorority and whether we felt that the University and Panhellenic and the Greek community could support another chapter,” she said.

The next step in the process is to write a proposal including Greek Life statistics specific to the University, the thoughts of the committee members and why the University wants to grow its Greek community, Hawthorne said. This proposal will then be sent to each of the Panhellenic chapters and their national organization’s representative.

After the proposal is submitted, the Greek Life office will host different events to get student and faculty opinions, Hawthorne said.

“We’ll also do some open forums; we’re going to try to do one with students and then we’ll do one with faculty and staff members to get their thoughts, their pros and cons to see if they would like to see another chapter or not and if it would be supported by the University,” she said.

Hawthorne said the construction of the proposal and the open forums will be the committee’s focus next semester. If the Panhellenic Council accepts the proposal, the committee will send a letter to the remaining chapters that are not represented at Murray State. If the chapters are interested in forming a new chapter of their organization on campus, they will present to the committee.

Now, though, Hawthorne said she believes it’s time for the University’s Greek Life to expand after the last chapter to join was Alpha Delta Pi in 1968.

Said Hawthorne: “I think it’ll just be something great and something different for our chapters and for our community. I think if Panhellenic and the different chapters have the right mindset of this is something that we can welcome, we are continuing to grow, we’re all at a comfortable place, let’s continue to grow in another chapter.”