GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,552
1 members and 2,551 guests
No Members online

Old 03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Small School Recruitment

do we need another recruitment story???

YES

im a GCer under an alias

here's my story

4 sororities (greek alpabetical)
Alpha Sigma Alpha
Alpha Chi Omega
Gamma Phi Beta
Sigma Sigma Sigma

4 top baby names (2006) (not in any order)
Emily
Emma
Madison
Isabella

recruitment wasnt that big at my school but there were about 100 girls going through split into 4 groups

important people (names changed)
ALI- one of my rho chi's
MARI-a girl in my group who also lived im my building
SARAH- another girl in my building and group
ELISE- the girl that i talked to between groups... not in my building
ASHLEY- the girl that i wanted to be (she had it all and talked to anybody really easily)

i missed day 1 (welcome night- no parties, just meeting rho chi's exc.)
day 2...
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Under Alias! I can't wait!
Old 03-14-2008, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
See what you started?
Old 03-14-2008, 11:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GammaPhi88 View Post
i stole the idea from you!! haha
Old 03-15-2008, 12:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Day2
im going to stay with a constant order but not the order that i visited them in

Emma- they were nice girls and they would be great for some but to me they were just nice girls. i only met a few of them but they were all just ok. i was still going to have an open mind about them, after all it was just the first night

Emily- they were ok, again, nice girls, but not really my favorite. i sorta had to carry the conversation, not the best recruiters. maybe it was just because it was at the end of the night and they weren't still as entusiastic as they were before.

Madison- i really liked them, easy conversation, they kinda overwhelmed me cause at one point i looked around and all the other pnm's had one, maybe two actives talking to them and i had 4. i met probably 8 of them

Isabella- i loved them the minute i walked in. one of the leaders form orientation took me by the arm at the door and showed me around! i loved her, she even remembered meeting my mom at orientation and asked how she was. i met like 10 of them on just the first night.

so even though we couldn't cut anyone until pref night i still had them ranked in my head
Isabella was my fav
then it was madison
then the emma's
emily was at the bottom

this was the general consensus (sp??) with the people that i talked to. elise liked madison more and mari was pessemistic (sp??) about the whole thing, sarah was overly entusiastic and ashley wouldnt tell us

Philanthropy day (Day 3) to come...
but im really bad at waiting so it'll probably be sooner rather than later
Old 03-15-2008, 12:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Yayyyy I love how you stole this from me! I'm pulling for Isabella (or...whatever Gamma Phi is!)
Old 03-15-2008, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

well you'll just have to wait and see... and remember, first impressions aren't everything
Old 03-15-2008, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

ok i dont really care if anybody is reading but its fun to relive the expierence of recuitmentso here's day 3, aka philnthropy and financial day

Emily- i had a nice time with them. i really liked their philanthropy bacause it tied into what i did for a job, and what my eventual career os going to be.

Emma- again, awkward. i just didn't fit. other girls were begining to like them a little more. their philanthropy was not something that i could relate to

Madison- they were recruiting me REALLY hard. probably because they found out that my mom was in a sorority on campus. (maybe theirs and mabe another one... im not telling) their philanthropy was something that i liked and could relate to. i really like them today

Isabella- they were really sweet. the same girl from the last night greeted me at the door making the singing and chanting a little less intimidating which was good. i was ok with their philanthropy but they did alot with other organizations other than their actual philanthropy.

my list was the same as the day before
isabella
madison
emily
emma

day 4 was a little more dressy...
Old 03-15-2008, 04:08 PM
GreekChat Member

PNMfall06, I'm enjoying reading these recruitment stories especially since I went to a small women's college with no Greeks and my daughter is planning to go through formal recruitment at her college in the fall. Her school discourages girls from going through recruitment as freshman (although many girls do) so she'll be at no disadvantage being a sophomore
Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamom11 View Post
PNMfall06, I'm enjoying reading these recruitment stories especially since I went to a small women's college with no Greeks and my daughter is planning to go through formal recruitment at her college in the fall. Her school discourages girls from going through recruitment as freshman (although many girls do) so she'll be at no disadvantage being a sophomore

Yes they do and no matter how big or small the Greeks are, they do try to be seslctive.

They fell they have the right to select those that fit for them. They are correct.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-15-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Not quite sure if I understand your post Tom Earp. And, unless you know her school, I wouldn't make such a blanket statement.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamom11 View Post
Not quite sure if I understand your post Tom Earp. And, unless you know her school, I wouldn't make such a blanket statement.
Don't worry. We usually need a translator for his posts.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

i think he just means that small schools can be selective and find the girls that are the best fit for them just like the bigger schools
Old 03-15-2008, 07:12 PM
GreekChat Member

day 4, business casual,

I went to today a little less sure of where i would belong. i knew i really liked madison and isabella and i wouldnt be incredibly bummed if i became an emily. emma was also getting better. so i went into each party with an open mind.

Emma- this night made them a little less impressionable. i was with the same girl all night and she just thought that we were one in the same. she was on the cheerleading squad too (she cheered for games and i was stricly a competition cheerleader) but i had never talked to her. they made a big mistake by having one of the pho chi's in their slide show, and tried to cover it by switching the slide quickly, (everyone had already seen it), i dunno their impression just weakened with me this night, not that they were doing anything wrong, it was just not as big of an impression.

Emily- they were nice tonight. i know its superficial but they wernt dressed as nicely as the rest of the chapters. they were ok, but not really impressionable.

Madison- they overdid it with me tonight. when i got here i realized why every chapter was treating me different than all of the other girls. at my school, it is kinda a good thing to be a legacy, and to get someone else's legac was a major thing. they pressured me hard core. they sat me in a big cushioned chair with about 7 girls around me. the rest of the girls were around a large table in folding chairs with slip covers. they kept asking me questions about my mom and why i wanted to go through recruitment and not just join her chapter. then they served refreshments and they all sat and watched me eat and drink and none of them had anything. then the president came over to me and without being too obvious about it basically told me that the wanted me. i left really wierded out. i told ashley about it later and she told me that they did the same thing to her... i later found out that she too was a legacy.

Isabella- they were really relaxed. they had an alum speaker. it was nice. i didnt get to see the girl that i had been talking to for the past three days. the president came and talked to me here too. i just got a feeling from them...

the next day i was to get my pref invites. if i got 4 i had to pick three. if i got 3,2 or 1 i had to go to all of them
i really wanted isabella, i knew i was a shoe in to madison, emma and emily were both ok. i wouldnt be dissapointed anywhere
Old 03-15-2008, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree completely with the selectivity aspect of formal recruitment but fortunately for my daughter (at her school) being a sophomore is not a strike against you as it might be at schools with more Greek involvment. Only 28% of the students belong to sororities or fraternities and upperclassman are encouraged to give Greek life a try.