GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,189
0 members and 2,189 guests
No Members online

Old 03-05-2004, 10:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by KEPike
how so? I've never heard of anything bad related to this chapter, and I know several of their alumni.
In 1992, this chapter played a nasty prank on their campus rivals, the gentlemen of Kappa Sigma. Kappa Sigma had just admitted an African American pledge, so the guys in PiKA took it upon themselves to make a 'protest'.

The garbage cans in the University Center had those words spelled out on them in stick-on letters. The Pikes rearranged/altered some of the letters on the can so that it spelled "Nigers Enter" (their misspelling, not mine) and put it in front of the Kappa Sigma chapter room.

There had been other incidents of racial tensions/racially insensitive behavior that involved this chapter, but because the Dean of Students (at the time) was also a Pike, nothing was ever done.

What's interesting to me is that a couple of years after this incident, the chapter admitted a black/white biracial member. I'd be interested to hear what this alum has to say about the incident.

Last edited by Sistermadly; 03-06-2004 at 04:04 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-05-2004, 11:13 PM

The quote was not directed to you Rudey, just always happy to have a B & B quote that applies to the situation.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I've never heard anything bad about that chapter either, but if they did what you say then it was stupid. If they had a black member and did it anyway, then it would have to be spectacularly stupid.
Actually, I can think of some circumstances where they might have black members and still do something like this - and still think it's funny. From the report, it appears that they invited a black fraternity to share the private party...and did it anyway!Sometimes when you're dealing with young, immature guys, you have to consider the "idiot" factor. Even my guys, love 'em as I do.

Last edited by Firehouse; 03-06-2004 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Strange.

I just looked through their PiKA chapter website. Browsing through the section on "Photos" it's obvious they have Blacks, Asians, and one guy looks like he might be East Indian. Like I said, maybe they just thought it was funny. Guys show up in blackface, and then are "surprised" when someone points it out.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Sistermadly
Quote:
Originally posted by Firehouse
I've never heard anything bad about that chapter either, but if they did what you say then it was stupid.
Ask H. King Buttermore about the incidents at GSU in the 90s. He was the Associate Dean of Students when all this happened. The (then) Dean of Students - William Baggett - is also a Pike. I'm sure Buttermore will have his own spin on it, but it was because he let so much stuff slide with respect to this chapter that he was removed from his position and "reassigned" elsewhere in the university.

The fact that they are a racially diverse chapter but STILL thought this was funny says a lot (at least to me anyway) that for them, diversity is just a word. Maybe I'm just projecting, but if I were a minority in this chapter right now, I'd be wondering how seriously the brothers took "brotherhood" to heart when they could even concieve that a gesture like this would be funny and/or well-received.

Edited to Add: I found this on the GSU student newspaper's website: http://www.gsusignal.com/vnews/displ...4?in_archive=1

Last edited by Sistermadly; 03-06-2004 at 04:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2004, 04:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl
The quote was not directed to you Rudey, just always happy to have a B & B quote that applies to the situation.
Don't take things so seriously. I'm a smart guy and got it the first time

-Rudey
Old 03-06-2004, 07:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
Being publicly humiliated in front of the campus is punishment enough and lesson enough if one is required.
Old 03-06-2004, 07:29 PM
GreekChat Member

To Sistermadly...

Well, I'm not going to defend something that is indefensible. However, you express surprise that a chapter with black, asian and other non-white members can have guys show in black-face. Again, I'm not defending it but you just have to understand guys. Men interact with each other differently than women. Men sometimes show acceptance by doing things that could seem outrageous to outsiders. For instance, once my chapter had a blind member. He could generally find his way throughout the house by using familiar points of reference, like chairs and couches. Once in awhile, the Brothers would move the furniture around just to see if they could throw him off; maybe get him to sit in the cold fireplace, and everyone had a laugh. That guy knew he was loved and accepted, and he knew that there was no pity or political correctness in that acceptance. he knew he was taken for who he was as a man, and that he had true friends for life.
Again, please, don't think I'm defending acts of deliberate racism. In this particular case, stupidity may have been more in play than racism.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

This incident is just pathetic. Didn't these guys hear of the dozens of similar incidents that occured in the past few years? Even if they didn't, don't they have common sense and decency? I suppose not.

Further, I am SO TIRED of people stereotyping places like Compton. I bet most of the groups having these parties have never even visted California, let alone the City of Compton. I personally was there just this morning, working with a large group of students who were taking academic enrichment courses on a Saturday to maintain their "A" and "B" averages. These were good kids with good parents who are from a GOOD COMMUNITY that gets put down all the time. I do a great deal of work with the Compton Unified School District, and let me tell you--I see this community pull together in ways that you NEVER see in other places. For every gangmember I've run into in Compton, I've run into 10 other citizens who are full of pride and respect for themselves and their city. There are two-story homes with perfectly manicured lawns and families that keep their kids in check--just like anywhere else. It is not a perfect place, but it isn't what people make it out to be, either.

Edited to add: And please don't say ""Straight Outta Compton' is just a party theme! Relax!" because I bet some of you wouldn't think it was funny if someone else had a "Straight Outta (fill in the blank where you live)" and came dressed as "stereotypical" people from your town.

Last edited by LatinaAlumna; 03-06-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
This incident is just pathetic. Didn't these guys hear of the dozens of similar incidents that occured in the past few years? Even if they didn't, don't they have common sense and decency? I suppose not.

Further, I am SO TIRED of people stereotyping places like Compton. I bet most of the groups having these parties have never even visted California, let alone the City of Compton. I personally was there just this morning, working with a large group of students who were taking academic enrichment courses on a Saturday to maintain their "A" and "B" averages. These were good kids with good parents who are from a GOOD COMMUNITY that gets put down all the time. I do a great deal of work with the Compton Unified School District, and let me tell you--I see this community pull together in ways that you NEVER see in other places. For every gangmember I've run into in Compton, I've run into 10 other citizens who are full of pride and respect for themselves and their city. There are two-story homes with perfectly manicured lawns and families that keep their kids in check--just like anywhere else. It is not a perfect place, but it isn't what people make it out to be, either.

Edited to add: And please don't say ""Straight Outta Compton' is just a party theme! Relax!" because I bet some of you wouldn't think it was funny if someone else had a "Straight Outta (fill in the blank where you live)" and came dressed as "stereotypical" people from your town.
Cosign!

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

LatinaAlumna,

Sometimes, it is easier for those who do not walk in the same shoes to try to discuss things! But for many who have, it is hard to really understand why those who havent do not understand!

The thing is, whether it is not Politically Correct does and should not matter!

I for one get very tired of the Oh, "They" are making fun of so and so!

Well folks maybe it is time to get over your gremlins. While I try to make light of it at times, and it is a very serious situation, those who voice it the loudest are the Main ones who stir things up more so than anyone else who tries to be a BIGOT!

History is History!. It happened!. Talk all you can talk, it will not change history!

NOW IS THE TIME FOR CHANGE, NOT DREDGING THE PAST UP!

I would for one be imberrased to have My Black Friends come on this site and ask me, What The hell is Wrong with These People!

Oh Yes, we do talk about this one on one!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 03-06-2004, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: To Sistermadly...

Quote:
Originally posted by Firehouse
Again, please, don't think I'm defending acts of deliberate racism. In this particular case, stupidity may have been more in play than racism.
i'd venture to say bigotry had a large part to play in this fiasco.....

Last edited by starang21; 03-06-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp
NOW IS THE TIME FOR CHANGE, NOT DREDGING THE PAST UP!
this is funny.....it's instances like this that show times haven't changed....
Old 03-06-2004, 11:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Earp

The thing is, whether it is not Politically Correct does and should not matter!

True...it's not about "political correctness"...it's about showing respect and being decent human beings towards one another. Having someone show up in "blackface" was not decent back then, and it is not decent now.
Old 03-07-2004, 12:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by LatinaAlumna
"blackface"
Oh, maybe they just got a good deal on the stuff at KKK-Mart