GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,485
0 members and 1,485 guests
No Members online

Old 10-06-2004, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Seminar/Workshop Ideas for Alums

I'm trying to help come up with some ideas for workshops or seminars that we can present at our Regional Weekend that will make the experience more relevant to alumnae.... Our regional weekend (which is usually quite huge w/hundreds of collegians & alums from Texas and New Mexico) has become increasingly collegian focused over the past few years, with numerous workshops that college women can use from DZ to career to general life management topics. It's gotten to the point where alot of alums choose not to come b/c they don't get anything out of it besides some meals, shopping, awards and sing-alongs.

So, I need your help. As an alum, if you were thinking about going to your org's regional weekend, what topics would most interest you/make you feel like the trip would be worth your while? These can be organization/alum chapter operations specific or basic enrichment type things. Note: These would probably be structured as short, 30-45 minute sessions, so they don't need to be complex ideas.

I have suggested some sort of "Best Practices" workshop for alum chapters to share their ideas for making chapter meetings "can't miss" events, as well as ideas for recruitment and retention of alums. I also stole a "Living our Creed" type discussion forum from convention, and a reception for graduating seniors so they can meet members of the alum chapters from the towns where they will be moving after graduation so they won't feel intimidated when they go to join the alum chapter...

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was thinking about some non-sorority topics, like "why you need a will" or something women's health related, but don't know if other women would find those to be interesting enough or something alum women would choose over going to the nearby mall for....
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-06-2004, 04:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh, we have the same problem at our RLC's.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Check with your IHQ and see if they have some Organizational ideas for you!

Went to RLC and while the Most Mature One There, Hell Skinned my knee on the rug diving for a Silly object! I won, hurt like hell tho!

Hm, how about life after College in the real world. Balancing Check Books, placing money back to pay the bills at the Time Dated, Budgeting money to buy clothing that is wearable with many sets for work or play.

What it entails renting or buying a place to live.

What foods to buy, do you use coupons?

Just because there is a coupon, try store brands!

For those that dont know, store brands are tested for taste and many other things and come from Major Manufactures! Usually cheaper.

Pinch Pennys, Penny Saved is a penny earned.

Amazing how many people dont know the basics of life until hit the real world!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-06-2004, 10:44 PM
GreekChat Member

At our Convention in July, the alumnae club/chapter Presidents attended some round table type workshops where they exchanged activity ideas. The groups were divided by "size of chapter" so that you didn't have a 100 woman club giving suggestions to a club with 10 members. Our Alumnae Club President found that helpful. We also had a Campus Speak speaker who did a self defense workshop ... Girls Fight Back, which was appropriate for any age group.

As an alum, I would love some personal development workshops like financial planning for women. Leadership in the workforce, assertiveness training, etc. Or, for those who are working with collegiate chapters, tips on motivation, workshops on leadership, defining advisor roles, etc. How to talk with other alumnae about hazing and risk management issues, so that they don't keep "bragging" about how they were hazed or the parties they had, which are frowned on now. Presenting programs that can be used at alumnae club meetings, such as programs for the Foundation, women's health, etc.

I think alumnae programming is an area that all NPC groups need to work on. I think it will emphasize the lifelong nature of our organizations if we meet the needs of these women. Or, put out a survey to the alumnae for what THEY want. I would bet they can tell you!

Dee
Old 10-07-2004, 07:25 AM

Ditto on AGDee's topic idea of "How to talk with other alumnae about hazing and risk management issues, so that they don't keep "bragging" about how they were hazed or the parties they had, which are frowned on now."

I also think sessions on the following would be worthwhile:

1. Ritual for alumnae

2. DZ for a lifetime (promoting alumnae involvement)

3. Specific roundtable sessions for alumnae chapter presidents/reps and for house corporation presidents/reps. Definitely break into "size" groups for the alum officer breakout and Housed/Unhoused for the corp officer breakout.

4. Collegiate chapter adviser roundtable and/or training session. Our chapter advisers deserve all of the training and resource opportunities we can provide them with!

5. There was a great session at our Leadership Institute this summer called "Managing and Motivating Four Generations" presented by one of our Executive Board members. Let me know if you're interested and we can work on getting you details.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Question

Does Nat Pan Hel have any programs that are easy and available to do?

Might be a good place to try for what it is worth.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 10-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
A few years ago I did a workshop on developing an alumnae chapter website with dos and don'ts. E-mail me and I'd be happy to send you the document.

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:02 AM
GreekChat Member

At Lambda Chi's General Assembly this summer, I facilitated two workshops: "So You Wanna Start an Alumni/ae Chapter...How Do You Do It?" and "Demystifying Alumni/ae Communications".

Both were well-attended, and it was interesting to see that the mix was pretty evenly split between alums and undergrads. I'd suggest getting people from within your ranks to speak about what they know best.

For instance, Tom mentioned the "real world" aspects. I'm guessing you've got members who are (in no particular order of importance) financial advisors, lawyers, desktop publishers, economists, etc. Utilize them! If they HAVEN'T been active alums, it's a great way to draw 'em back.

TTFN,
BF

"People the world over have always been more impressed by the power of our example than by the example of our power."
Old 10-09-2004, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Just want to thank everyone for the awesome ideas. I thing we've got ideas that will get us through a few years of RW's! Keep them coming! I love all of them b/c there is something for everyone.
Old 10-09-2004, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

While Boz130 is a LXA, He deals with and goes all over the USA and maybe Canada with his training expertise.

Yes, The "Real World" as Boz and I say is what happens upon Graduation.

College with out GreekDom is a new experience for many just as it is when you leave the Family Nes no friends, no experience. Living in the Dorms without supervision can be hard until you learn the ropes. Then, oops, it is in the Real World, getting an apartment with or without a roomate, paying All Of The Bills on a short budget.

Shopping or not for clothes, food, car, furniture and on and on.

Hell, I graduated with a sport coat, one pair of slacks, one pair of good shoes and went to work for RH Macys.

Man did I have to catch up to the Real World!

Short ward robe, Wife with no job and $98.00 in pocket.

If doing that try to express what is really happening out there. They may not like it then, but will appreciate it soon!

LX Z # 1
Alumni