GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,072
1 members and 1,071 guests
indygphib

Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I write a rec?

I'm trying to write a rec for my friend who will be rushing at GA Tech this fall. There's an Alumnae Rec Form on the Alpha Chi website at GA Tech. But, there's some info about her that I don't know- GPA, address, etc. Should I get a copy of her resume and attach it?

After I fill out all the info, do I then write a personal letter about why I think she'd be a great AXO?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but I've never written a rec before! I just wanna make sure I do it right! Thanks!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-30-2003, 01:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Re: How do I write a rec?

Quote:
Originally posted by IHeartAXO
I'm trying to write a rec for my friend who will be rushing at GA Tech this fall. There's an Alumnae Rec Form on the Alpha Chi website at GA Tech. But, there's some info about her that I don't know- GPA, address, etc. Should I get a copy of her resume and attach it?

After I fill out all the info, do I then write a personal letter about why I think she'd be a great AXO?

Sorry if this sounds silly, but I've never written a rec before! I just wanna make sure I do it right! Thanks!
Yes by all means get her resume and in fact have her adjust it for your purposes -- e.g. it should be on her computer so she can change it easily -- have her list all the things you need for your rec form and then on the rec form, just say "See attached resume" -- and don't forgte to get a picture of her -- a wallet size of her senior yearbook photo is good or if she has a professional wallet sized pic, attach one...and where it is essential that you write a free-flowing paragraph is where you can attach another sheet ( I am familiar with the AcHi O rec form and you can do this) where you comment on why you personally think she'd be a great ACHiO -- how her academic prowess, leadership talents, deft social skills, intense loyalty, etc etc etc would enhance the reputation of AChiO not only at GaTech but also nationally. You need to convey that your friend would be the epitome of Alpha Chi sisterhood and already embodies those traits AChiO's hold dear -- then list them.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2003, 02:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks! I just finished writing the 'letter' part of the recommendation. It's a page long and basically, I tell them how I know her and why I know she'd make a great Alpha Chi.

I talk about how she'd make a wonderful, loyal sister and an inspiring leader and tie in stories and examples I've witnessed from work (true dedication to her job, loyalty to the company, etc).

I then go on to tell them why I personally think she's so great (which basically fulfills all of the membership standards) and how I continue to be impressed by her.

So, while I don't specifically include how she would meet each membership standard, I do make it fairly obvious in my praise for her. "She's one of the smartest, classiest and most down to earth girls I know. She's extremely personable, incredibly mature and easy to confide in..." as well as the paragraphs about work ethic, etc.

I feel like I may be pushing too hard, though. Is that possible? Should I be focused more on pushing her to Alpha Chi or to the Greek system in general? I say things like: "I think I have bonded with her more than anyone else because I truly see her as a sister. She is someone I would want in my sorority and someone I would be proud to see wearing the letters AXO." Is that okay- or does it cross the line?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions! I just want to make sure I don't push TOO hard and end up hurting her.
Old 07-30-2003, 10:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IHeartAXO
Thanks! I just finished writing the 'letter' part of the recommendation. It's a page long and basically, I tell them how I know her and why I know she'd make a great Alpha Chi.

I talk about how she'd make a wonderful, loyal sister and an inspiring leader and tie in stories and examples I've witnessed from work (true dedication to her job, loyalty to the company, etc).

I then go on to tell them why I personally think she's so great (which basically fulfills all of the membership standards) and how I continue to be impressed by her.

So, while I don't specifically include how she would meet each membership standard, I do make it fairly obvious in my praise for her. "She's one of the smartest, classiest and most down to earth girls I know. She's extremely personable, incredibly mature and easy to confide in..." as well as the paragraphs about work ethic, etc.

I feel like I may be pushing too hard, though. Is that possible? Should I be focused more on pushing her to Alpha Chi or to the Greek system in general? I say things like: "I think I have bonded with her more than anyone else because I truly see her as a sister. She is someone I would want in my sorority and someone I would be proud to see wearing the letters AXO." Is that okay- or does it cross the line?

Sorry for the seemingly stupid questions! I just want to make sure I don't push TOO hard and end up hurting her.
There is no such thing in my book as "pushing too hard" esp if you REALLY want her to be an Alpha Chi! About the only way I can suggest for you to push her towards the Greek system in general is to encourage and perhaps even help her to secure recs for the other sororities at Ga Tech.

FYI -- My motto has been and still is: "Anything worth doing is worth overdoing!"