GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto
» Online Users: 1,277
1 members and 1,276 guests
navane

Old 03-26-2018, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Whatever.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:18 AM

Zeta Beta Tau has been invited to colonize at Central Michigan University in Fall '18. Good luck on their colonization!

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-27-2018, 09:20 AM

Pi Kappa Alpha has been closed at Southern Methodist University(TX). Closure is due to an investigation into hazing.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/high...-investigation

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 03-28-2018, 11:48 AM

Delta Gamma has closed their chapter at the University of Miami(FL). Closure is due to findings of hazing.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Delta Gamma has closed their chapter at the University of Miami(FL). Closure is due to findings of hazing.
Was this the boat video chapter or was that someplace else?
Old 03-28-2018, 02:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
From Delta Gamma IHQ

###
For
Immediate Release
:
media@deltagamma.org
Delta Gamma
Fraternity Closes Beta Tau Chapter
at the University of Miami
Columbus, Ohio

Delta Gamma Fraternity Council voted unanimously to close Beta Tau chapter at the University of Miami, following a University-led investigation. The investigation revealed
concerning behavior that occurred during Big/Little Reveal on February 16, 2018.
The allegations include: hazing, harassment, alcohol distribution, forced alcohol consumption, and delegated travel with unknown male students to locations.
The chapter pled responsible to these allegations on March 21, 2018.

Individual charges are expected from the University for those individuals who were allegedly involved.

“Delta Gamma does not and will not tolerate hazing behavior. It is our responsibility to uphold the values and standards of Delta Gamma among all of our members and chapters. Beta Tau violated Fraternity and University policies, which left us no choice but
to close the chapter,” said Fraternity President Stacia Rudge Skoog. “It was important for us to partner with the University throughout this investigation.”

Beta Tau was ordered to cease and desist on February 27, 2018, by the University.
Immediately, Delta Gamma placed the chapter on Temporary Chapter Restriction Status
(TCRS) in order to assist with the resulting investigation.

“The University of Miami has clear policies and standards for all of our Greek organizations that are designed to ensure a safe, healthy and positive experience for our students. During our investigation it became clear that multiple policies were blatantly violated by the Beta Tau chapter of Delta Gamma. We value our partnership with the Delta Gamma Fraternity and as such we support their decision to close their chapter at this time,” said University of Miami Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. Patricia A. Whitely.

Beta Tau will remain a valued part of the Delta Gamma sisterhood. Beta Tau was established at the University of Miami in 1946. Since that time, the chapter established Delta Gamma’s signature fundraising program, Anchor Splash®, and has initiated
1,991women. Several members have served the Fraternity in many capacities.
Should the conditions be appropriate to reopen the chapter in the future, that possibility will be explored earnestly by the Fraternity in partnership with the University.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
This is that chapter. Does anyone know if their new members had been initiated already?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneSig View Post
Open for Expansion

Arkansas
*Arkansas State University- Alpha Chi Omega and Alpha Sigma Alpha presenting.
Sure would like to hear which group has been chosen here, or if the campus decided to reject both groups.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
No, pretty sure that was UF. The video referenced a bunch of chapters, including AOPi and KD, that aren't at Miami.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kappabetagam View Post
Just to add to the KBG news:

The Alpha Rho Colony at University of Alabama, was installed as a chapter this past weekend.

I cannot personally speak to why there is so much recent expansion, or how colonies are developed or schools are chosen, as I am not a part of that process.
I find it very curious that KBG would want to expand onto Penn State's campus in light of the current climate on that campus. They have lost 13 fraternities and one sorority in the past year. I am wondering if their expansion strategy involves reaching out to members of NPC chapters who have recently lost their charters. Not being an NPC chapter, this might hold appeal for women who are on campus and want to continue the party after their charters have been revoked.

As many on this forum know, Penn State has two underground sororities which were formed when Tri Delt and Chi O lost their recognition. If the members of the recently closed AXO chapter all join KBG, it would appear that this is their strategy. Rather than building a chapter from the ground up, they can jump in with one ready made.

The Panhellenic Council at PSU offers associate memberships to non NPC organizations who want to participate in formal recruitment and live by the same rules as the NPC chapters. Whereas, the underground sororities do not. It will be interesting to see if KBG becomes an associate chapter or prefers to operate like the underground orgs.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

^^^ What I was saying!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDee199 View Post
No, pretty sure that was UF. The video referenced a bunch of chapters, including AOPi and KD, that aren't at Miami.
I'm not sure what video you're referencing, but this article describes the one I'm talking about and it is Miami. In either case, it's a moot point now.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nati...e53886500.html
Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Sad to say I believe you are talking about 2 different videos - the recruitment boat one on the water was Miami. The boat one about other groups was at UF.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekOne View Post

The Panhellenic Council at PSU offers associate memberships to non NPC organizations who want to participate in formal recruitment and live by the same rules as the NPC chapters. Whereas, the underground sororities do not. It will be interesting to see if KBG becomes an associate chapter or prefers to operate like the underground orgs.
Trilogy and ESA could hardly be called “underground” groups as the school is well aware of their existence, recognizes them, and they participate in Thon. ESA is also recognized by its national organization. An underground group is a Greek chapter derecognized by its national organization, the school, or both, and continuing to use all or most of the national organization’s rituals. It doesn’t mean “not affiliated with Panhellenic.” Penn State also has chapters of Gamma Sigma Sigma and Sigma Alpha Iota; since they aren’t Panhellenic associate members, do you consider them “underground” as well?

Tri Delta at Penn State was closed in 2010; Chi Omega was closed in 2014. Therefore, unless there are some egregiously slow members, it is doubtful that there are any members of either group who were ever a part of either closed NPC sorority. Regardless of the reasons the groups were started, they’ve stayed around and maintained membership. At the time Trilogy began, I seriously questioned the school’s allowing it as it had scuttled all the local “social/service” sororities several years prior and now seemed to be allowing the same thing - but, their call, not mine.

KBG might start from the ground up. They’re allowed to do that. They might include some or all of the AXO sisters whose chapter has been shuttered. They’re allowed to do that too. KBG might be recognized by the school or the school might not recognize them - but again, PSU’s call, not mine.

Student organizations of all kinds only stay around if students continue to join them and if the school permits them. It’s really not rocket science.

Last edited by 33girl; 03-29-2018 at 03:53 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:16 AM

Congratulations to Beta Theta Pi on chartering this past weekend at Quinnipiac University(CT).