GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,379
1 members and 1,378 guests
FSUZeta

Old 01-19-2019, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

This thread went off in another direction! hahaha

In between the conversations about tiers and how to move on from them, I think we learned some girls found homes and some didn't. I hope the girls who did accept bids grow to love their chapters and sisterhoods, and those who did not give COB a chance or another avenue to make this large school smaller for them.

My D is enjoying getting to know her new sisters and learning about her chapter...and of course ordering lots of apparel! She says the official number in her pledge class is 62. They are the largest pledge class yet for this chapter, and they don't have one of the huge houses there on campus. She also said everyone seemed happy to be there, which is a great feeling.

She hasn't said much about tiers or the "tier system", but did say that during rush, most of the girls she knew were desiring what would be considered mid-level chapters. The so called "top chapters" fight amongst themselves as to who is top, and the so called "bottom chapters" argue who is bottom and why, endlessly. People always tearing down the top and bottom, and the middle chapters seem to enjoy themselves and sail along relatively free of that. I would hope this ranking and tier talk will eventually fade out at IU, but it sounds like people have been carrying on about it for years, and social media has only made it worse.

Anyways, thank you for all the good advice and information and insight along this journey.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:09 PM

Observation from working with chapters at a variety of schools:

The worst of the tier talk/trash talk of lower tier chapters generally does not come from the perceived top tier groups.

Oddly enough it comes from the middle and lower tier groups. They are probably the worst when it comes to talking about other chapters not really realizing that they are more alike than different.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

"Oddly enough it comes from the middle and lower tier groups. They are probably the worst when it comes to talking about other chapters not really realizing that they are more alike than different"

Thanks for clarifying. My D hasn't reported anything on that. She seems to be staying in her own lane and enjoying where she is. The girls in her chapter seem to be happy to be where they are, which makes things comfy.
She has friends in other chapters ( that could be classified as higher or lower I guess??) from the first semester, and I hope those friendships will continue, as well as forging new ones with her sisterhood. She came out of a competitive sport and has seen it all with rivalries and trash talk, but also in supporting and encouraging others. I hope for the sake of Greek Life at IU participants move away from the trash talking and more into developing their chapters and celebrating the good parts: community, philanthropy and academic achievement and support.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton117 View Post
"Oddly enough it comes from the middle and lower tier groups. They are probably the worst when it comes to talking about other chapters not really realizing that they are more alike than different"

Thanks for clarifying. My D hasn't reported anything on that. She seems to be staying in her own lane and enjoying where she is. The girls in her chapter seem to be happy to be where they are, which makes things comfy.
She has friends in other chapters ( that could be classified as higher or lower I guess??) from the first semester, and I hope those friendships will continue, as well as forging new ones with her sisterhood. She came out of a competitive sport and has seen it all with rivalries and trash talk, but also in supporting and encouraging others. I hope for the sake of Greek Life at IU participants move away from the trash talking and more into developing their chapters and celebrating the good parts: community, philanthropy and academic achievement and support.
I agree!!!! our daughter joined a so called lower or mid-lower tiered house and has visited that terrible website, and I worry that even though she knows it’s all trash talk, deep down she worries that some part of it may be true. It does tarnish a little bit of that joy felt in the initial pledge period that should be a lot of fun! How do we tell these kids to stay off the social media? Seems to be all they do anyway. I truly hope the trash talking summers down and they can rise above the immature behavior of what is most likely a handful of 😡 students.
I am guessing most Greeks ignore that trash talk anyway.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Paige Mills on YouTube (won't spoil her sorority!) did a nice recap of blogs she did during recruitment at IU. It talks about outfits and feelings and such, but she doesn't name names or bash anyone. It's pretty cool.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *winter* View Post
Paige Mills on YouTube (won't spoil her sorority!) did a nice recap of blogs she did during recruitment at IU. It talks about outfits and feelings and such, but she doesn't name names or bash anyone. It's pretty cool.
I saw that. It was interesting... but I also found it interesting she was staying in the hotel on campus for the rush weekends (that costs 300 plus a night most weekends). Didn't ring true to the rush experience of most girls at IU.

I think her blogging in the future on her sorority experience at IU could go either way for Greek there. It could show a positive spin on Greek experience, which has been tarnished, and which at times seems to be on thin ice at IU, or could be invasive to the privacy of those around her. It will be interesting to see how that goes.
Old 01-24-2019, 09:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Union

Yes, she not only stayed in the Biddle Hotel at the Union, but it looked like a large suite. I do remember reading some threads in the distant past about some girls at IU staying in a hotel vs. the dorm during recruitment, and their moms being with them and helping them with hair and makeup. I don't think this is at all common, however. I know when my daughter went through at IU last year, all the girls on her floor were staying in the dorm. While it is "competitive" it is also a bit of a bonding experience.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I watched Paige Mills' experience, and thought she seemed mature in the way she presented things in the recruitment video. It was nice that she tried to keep things vague and positive overall. It did seem that she ended up at a house that was one of her top choices throughout recruitment, so it may have turned out differently if that did not happen.

As far as staying at the Biddle Hotel--from watching a couple of her other videos, recruitment week isn't the only time she has stayed at the hotel. There was another video in which commenters were commenting about it and asking why she would stay in a hotel when she has a single on campus. But it's kind of not anyone's business how she or her family spends their money. If that's what they want to do, it's up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abm91 View Post
...I worry that even though she knows it’s all trash talk, deep down she worries that some part of it may be true.
Her experience is what is true. If she is meeting nice, kind girls who she wants to hang out with, she needs to hold on to that. Anyone can say anything about anyone else, but that doesn't mean that it's true.

I get that a lot of girls initially join sororities for the social scene, and there are certainly issues with the Greek Life social scene at IU, namely everything that has been said about pairs/quads already. However, the other truth is that if you're in Greek Life for the social scene, you are much more likely to disaffiliate once you turn 21 and can go out to bars.

What keeps people strong in their sisterhood are the bonds that they have made with other members. As long as your daughter is doing that, she will be fine. If she is not feeling like she is doing that, encourage her to go to more events, reach out to sisters, invite them to go out and do social things, etc. Friendships are made through experiencing things together, and just because it doesn't come instantly doesn't mean that it's not going to come. I myself felt pretty awkward on my Bid Day.
Old 01-24-2019, 06:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Paige seems level headed for her age and I doubt she will go on some sorority YT rampage.

Maybe she stayed at the hotel to kee herself neutral and away from other people influencing her decision?

This is an interesting topic because there are so many IG/YT "famous" girls going through recruitment. Seems like every school has one or more nowadays, even smaller schools. Plus, plenty of "non famous" random girls blog their recruitment and other experiences on the internet these days. I'm sure her sorority will be tuning in to make sure everything is okay.
Old 02-05-2019, 07:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Sigma Kappa

Sigma Kappa has 80 new members? Wow! Is that correct? Good luck goes out to D Phi E and ASA.
Old 02-05-2019, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue2 View Post
Sigma Kappa has 80 new members? Wow! Is that correct? Good luck goes out to D Phi E and ASA.
Yes, that is what I have been told. The last of the colonizing group will graduate this May. From looking at the fall grade report, they should be the largest group on campus now and also when classes resume again in the fall.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Congrats Sigma Kappa. It's a lot to pull off colonizing here and Alabama at the same time, but they're killing it!