GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,616
0 members and 2,616 guests
No Members online

Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

A Horned Frog Recruitment!

Hey everyone, as an incoming freshman who couldn’t wait to go through rush I found GreekChat accidentally while googling sorority stuff. It ended up being a great resource and helped me polish up my plans for recruitment. I also LOVED reading the recruitment stories and so I decided that it would only be fair to give back to the GreekChat community by sharing my story!
My username and a couple prior posts have made it quite obvious that I go to TCU, so while that will be obvious the sororities will remain a mystery except for my affiliation of course! There are eleven sororities at TCU and since they are all on a row, I will be mixing them up so none of you Horned Frog posters can for sure know!

Alpha Delta Pi
Alpha Chi Omega
Chi Omega
Delta Delta Delta
Delta Gamma
Gamma Phi Beta
Kappa Alpha Theta
Kappa Kappa Gamma
Pi Beta Phi
Sigma Kappa
Zeta Tau Alpha

I ended up getting rec’s, and even a couple extra, for every house except one. That house actually has a great presence in Texas but I didn’t personally know anyone and when I planned to get one through my local Panhellenic , the plans ended up falling through. Still, I felt really good going through rush! I was a legacy to a house that isn’t on campus and figured it wasn’t even worth mentioning on my application. I think my mom was secretly hoping I’d go somewhere where I had the chance of being her sister, but she was always very supportive and helped me so much through the process!
A little background info on me. I’m from a suburb of a big TX city where lots of girls join sororities and a fair share go to TCU. I knew girls in some houses as well. In high school I made good grades, top 10%, and was involved in a few extracurriculars and sports. But I'm definitely a girly girl!

I’m a Political Science major and Pre-Law, so I’ve decided my theme is going to be first lady’s
**And yes I know some of these women were/are alumni of certain chapters but none will correspond correctly!

Jackie Kennedy
Michelle Obama
Barbara Bush
Laura Bush
Hillary Clinton
Lady Bird Johnson
Nancy Reagan
Eleanor Roosevelt
Abigail Adams
Mary Todd Lincoln
Martha Washington
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Well.... color me interested!

Go Frogs!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:03 PM
GreekChat Member

So I got to move in early for rush and could NOT wait for recruitment!! The night before rush started we had an orientation where they explained a lot about the rules and procedures. We met our Rho Gamma's and the rest of the girls in our group! They were all so sweet and I instantly clicked with a few girls who I'm still friends with months later, and we are in different groups! That night I had the worst time trying to sleep! All the ancipation was keeping me awake! Somehow or another, I eventually managed to fall asleep and practically jumped out of my bed when the alarm clock went off in the morning! I did my hair and makeup, put on the shirt that every PNM wears for the first day, and my khaki shorts on.

So we meet up with our Rho Gamma's and the rest of the girls in our group and they prepare us for the day and to expect A LOT of cheering. So we head over to our first house. And sure enough as we are standing outside the house all of a sudden it seems like 150 girls or so BURST through the door and windows shouting, clapping, stomping, etc. It was crazy at first but at the same time I loved it!

So up first was Abigail Adams!
I was really nervous at first and was picked up by a gorgeous girl. She was really sweet, asking me about where I was from, my major, etc. I was then bumped by another girl who wasn't nearly as lively as the first girl. I was also SOOO nervous at first, and I kind of struggled to answer the questions normally. It was so loud, I could barely understand what she was saying. We talked about the same stuff I talked to the first girl with. She was nice, but it just didn't seem natural. I left this house feeling like it didn't go well, but it seemed like a great house so I was hoping I'd get invited back.

Michelle Obama - I liked this house alright. I can't remember too much, other than what I wrote in my little journal. I wrote down they were sweet. I talked to a few girls who were all really nice but all really different from each other. At the time I didn't know if I thought this was a good or a bad thing.

Barbara Bush - This was the one house I didn't get a rec for. When I was brought inside all the girls were beautiful...mostly blondes. The girl I talked to said she was from California, and she said there were lots of girls from Cali in this chapter. I didn't really know how to take that statement, I just remembered I responded with something really dumb like "Ohhh". The other girl I talked to was really nice but the convo didn't seem to last long as it was time to go. I left wanting to come back and really kicking myself for not working harder to get a rec!

Martha Washington - I had heard this house was a lot of fun prior to recruitment so I was excited. I was even more excited when I saw one of my freshman camp leaders was a Martha Washington. She smiled and waved to me when she saw me. The girls I talked to were so bubbly, cute, and sweet. I LOVED this house!

Laura Bush - The girls I talked to were nice but one was really shy and it made me feel really uncomfortable. I was eventually bumped by a girl that seemed like a lot of fun and reminded me of my best friend in high school. They were kind of under my radar today, but I still liked them.

Mary Todd Lincoln - Some of the girls from my high school were in this sorority and I had heard good things about them. However, the girl that brought me in seemed really...fake. She did most of the talking and talked a lot about fashion, which I love, but at the same time it just didn't really seem appropriate. She seemed kind of materialistic. I was then bumped from a girl from my high school, but I didn't know her that well. We talked about people we knew and stuff like that. I left feeling better, but at the same time really unsure of my conversation with the first girl.

Eleanor Roosevelt - I was bumped a lot in this house. I wasn't really sure if that was good or bad. Most of the girls I talked to were nice but I didn't connect with any of them. It was my least favorite house of the day.

Lady Bird Johnson - As soon as I walked into this house, I was stunned at how beautiful EVERY girl was. It was intimidating but they also seemed so nice! The girls I talked to were all gorgeous and nice. I didn't want to leave, because it was so much fun. I really hoped to be invited back!

Nancy Reagan - I had heard some tent talk about this group, as in bad stuff. However, my first girl was really pretty and SOOO funny. It was the most entertaining convo I had the whole day and she really helped me feel at ease. The other girls that bumped weren't as great, but not bad either. I didn't think the tent talk was deserved after I had left.

Jackie Kennedy - This was a group that I had heard a lot about before rush, because of their prestige. I was nervous walking and talked to a few gorgeous girls. They really impressed me, because they seemed so put-together and classy. Each girl was really pretty, seemed really smart, and left me wanting to be a Jackie Kennedy already!

Hillary Clinton - These girls were also really nice and beautiful. I was brought in by another girl from my high school and we had a lot more fun talking than I did with the girl from Mary Todd Lincoln. I recognized a few from my freshman camp as well. The one's I talked to were all great conversationists, and I really enjoyed my time here.

At the end of the day I was mentally, socially, physically EXHAUSTED. If I was asked one more time what my major was, where I was from, or what dorm I was living in...I might have died. But I still LOVED it, and was already super nervous for the next day of invites!

Oh and for some stupid reason, I can't remember exactly my order but we could be invited back to 9 houses. I *think* this was my order:

1. Jackie Kennedy
2. Lady Bird Johnson
3. Martha Washington
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Abigail Adams
6. Barbara Bush
7. Nancy Reagan
8. Laura Bush
9. Mary Todd Lincoln
--
10. Michelle Obama
11. Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-05-2010, 03:43 PM
GreekChat Member

All right y'all! A Texas recruitment story!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

more! Moooore!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Can't wait for the rest of your story!
Old 10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

what a fun thread!
Old 10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Love the theme. More!!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Go Jackie O!!(Kennedy). She and I have/had the same birthday.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:54 PM
GreekChat Member

so far, so good!!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2!

I had been over-analyzing and worrying about everything I did during Day 1, like I tend to do.

I was so worried about my invites, with the lingering thought in my head that I had been released from recruitment. However, I got up early the next morning and got dressed, wearing my favorite sundress and Tory Burch flip-flops…I thought I looked good!

We met with our groups and our Rho Gamma’s explained to us to not assume a full schedule because it’s more the exception than the rule. Today was also going to be Philanthropy day. At this point, I just had so much nervous energy and could hardly wait for my invites. Eventually our Rho Gamma's started passing out the papers. Some girls were giddy, others were a littly pissy actually, and most were just quiet in observation...I eventually got my card and started reading off the sororities, when I realized I wasn't even remembering any of them. I had to stop to collect myself and look at each one individually, to process it all.

My invites read:

1. Martha Washington
2. Hillary Clinton
3. Laura Bush
4. Jackie Kennedy
5. Nancy Reagan
6. Eleanor Roosevelt
7. Michelle Obama
8. Mary Todd Lincoln

8!!! Almost a full schedule! I was so relieved but then I realized three of my favorites had cut me.

I was probably most disappointed to not be asked back to Lady Bird Johnson, because I thought they were so amazing the first day. Barbara Bush and Abigail Adams were mild disappointments but while I had liked them, both parties felt forced at the time. I really regretted not getting my rec to Barbara Bush, but I didn't want to dwell on it too long. Still, I had my favorite Jackie Kennedy, which many girls in my group were not asked back too. Some girls were only asked back to three or four houses, so I ended up feeling very fortunate. While I had my favorites, I was going to give each sorority an equal chance again.

Laura Bush – Yesterday was just okay with these girls, but I had a much better time today. They were all styled really cute and their philanthropy really touched me. One girl and I talked forever about some of our favorite TV shows, we were both laughing a lot. Overall, I got to talk to some outgoing girls and I left liking them a lot more than yesterday, but still not quite sure if I felt like this was “home”.

Nancy Reagan – A lot of girls in my group complained about having to go back here or that it was one of their few options, but I had told several of them that the girls I talked to were wonderful. Today a new girl who was PAINFULLY shy brought me in. It was such a turnaround from the great girl I met yesterday. I had to initiate all the conversation and I was praying a different girl would bump me. Finally, I got to talk to a couple of girls who were a lot more fun and held great conversations. I left so confused as to how I felt about the Nancy Reagan’s. Some were so great, but others were so awkward. I’d be lying if I said the tent talk didn’t cross my mind either.

Mary Todd Lincoln – I know this sorority has a big presence at school, but after yesterday I didn’t think it was the right fit. However, several girls in my group wanted to come back here and weren’t invited so I figured maybe yesterday was just an off day? Well I was right! The girls I met today were awesome and seemed like so much fun. I didn’t really see a big emphasis on their philanthropy…kind of like they just do it because they have to if that makes sense? Still, I really enjoyed my time today and the new girls I met were great. The girl from my high school also stopped by to say hello and say she was glad to see me back today. One thing did bother me though; I noticed that while most of the girls here were dressed really well and looked great, almost all of the girls they had bringing water, and working in and out of the kitchen were either bigger or not nearly as pretty as the girls doing the recruiting.

Eleanor Roosevelt – I just don’t think this house is right for me. A lot of the girls are cute and they really seem to love their sorority, but everyone I talked to yesterday and today are ….I hate to say it…boring. They're nice and I don't hold anything against them, it just doesn't feel I've been able to be myself with the girls I've met. I definitely can see their sisterhood; I just don’t think I’m supposed to be a part of it.

Hillary Clinton – I liked these girls a lot. They just seem easy-going and fun. Their philanthropy doesn’t seem all that interesting to me personally, but there are so many other aspects to this sorority that I could see myself getting involved in. The girls I talked to this day were just so nice and precious. My other friend from high school waved to me, and I would’ve loved to talk to her again. I definitely want to come back.

Jackie Kennedy – LOVE this house. Today was as good as yesterday. Each girl I talked to today was a leader in the sorority or on campus somewhere, and I can just tell this sorority is so well rounded. One girl I talked to was very Southern and just so nice, she told me she had heard about me through her friends and was glad she could talk to me today. Still my #1!

Martha Washington – All these girls are awesome and seem just like the girls I would want to hang out with whether we were going out or just staying in and watching movies together. I can totally see myself fitting in with this group because we have similar personalities. One girl in my group said these girls are known as the partiers, but I don’t see it and she's kind of the dramatic know-it-all type (she had something to say about every sorority). The girls I met today seemed so classy, put together, and really involved in a lot of organizations on campus. Their philanthropy is something I feel really passionate about, and I loved their theme and decorations. It was just very touching to see a group of girls care so much for a great cause. I’m still a little disappointed my camp counselor hasn’t talked to me during rush so far, but she winked at me today from across the room and I thought that was so cute.

Michelle Obama – They weren’t very memorable for me the first day, but today was better. The girls I talked to were much more relatable and I can just tell they have a really strong sisterhood. One sophomore girl told me that they have socials and hang out a lot with XYZ fraternity, which I thought was odd to bring up in conversation. I don’t know anything about the fraternities at school? She seemed like the partying type, but she was fun…maybe a little over anxious about making an impression during rush?

Overall, the day was a GREAT experience! I had a wonderful time at each house, and even though I didn’t see myself at some come bid day, I would gladly go back to the one’s that invited me. We could go back to 6 houses the next day for Skit Day!

I filled out my rankings as follows:

1. Jackie Kennedy
2. Martha Washington
3. Mary Todd Lincoln
4. Hillary Clinton
5. Laura Bush
6. Michelle Obama
7. Nancy Reagan
8. Eleanor Roosevelt

Last edited by froggiegirl; 10-06-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Sounds like you had a great day! Looking forward to hearing about round 3.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I had to laugh/cringe at the Mary Todd Lincoln comment about putting the plain/big girls in charge of getting the water, etc. My Senior year I got offered a role behind the scenes. They did it to cut me a break, I'm sure, and because I was honestly not great at rushing, but the fact that I had put on some weight over the summer (and really, over 4 years of college) made me wonder if they had ulterior motives. I asked them straight out if it was because I had gotten fat - they were polite enough to say no, and I was polite enough to believe them.

As far as rush went, I was great at the "workhorse" aspects - using a helium tank to blow up hundreds of balloons, moving furniture, filling out paperwork, making skit props and costumes.

But yes, Froggie, I can see why that would be disconcerting.

That said, fun story - keep us posted.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to WVU alpha phi
Loving your story so far!
Old 10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Ooh, good thread! I know a couple of women in different houses at TCU, so I am so curious about who is who.